Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholics told not to give LDS parish data
9 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 3:44PM #1
UwishUwereMe
TO:

TMARIE64

1. I don't see anywhere here that anyone has said they don't like the Catholic Church.

2. Perhaps you missed a few stitches in this thread. 
a. These ordinances are preformed, we beleive that persons in the "here after" MAY accept them if they want to.  We DO NOT believe that they are all of a sudden "POOF" you're a Mormon!  Ta Dah!

It has absolutely nothing to do with membership count.  One person tried to tell me there were really only about 1,000,000 mormons, BUT with all of the names in our database, that's how we come up with our "13 million" figure.

NO NO NO!  YOU ARE WRONG.  Perhaps, going back and reading some of the posts with the correct information will be enlightening to you.

God Bless
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 3:12PM #2
Tmarie64

bytebear wrote:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 … 77,00.html

Why would the Catholic Church be afraid of baptism for the dead if it is a false practice?  Opposition in all things.

Because if the dead person had wanted to be LDS he/she would be.   They have no right to force anyone.  I support this and I honestly couldn't care less if the mormons like my church or not.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2008 - 2:21PM #3
hairup
spoke with a friend over the weekend that works for the Church Family History dept on this subject. He said that it has been "smoothed" over. Apparently, the original quote was not quoted correctly & the translation was even worse.
SLC called the Vactican & got the "correct" quote. The Catholic church's major concern is that information on the dead could be linked to living individuals. When they were assured that no living information is available on-line through the public websites; they were relieved.
So, it is back to where we were originally.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 2:40PM #4
bytebear
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 … 77,00.html

Why would the Catholic Church be afraid of baptism for the dead if it is a false practice?  Opposition in all things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 3:18PM #5
Ironhold
As noted in the article, this can only hurt interfaith dealings with the RCC; not just the church's dealings, but the dealings of other faiths as well since people routinely go through the church to obtain genealogical information.

Overall, I'd say that this was a very stupid decision.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 2:02AM #6
moksha8088
I can understand where they are coming from if I try to put myself in their shoes.  The only mitigating circumstance would be,  if I could rationally conclude that this worrisome practice done by others to our ancestors had no efficacy,  and that in the end it served the purpose of myriad research efforts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 5:17AM #7
rideronthastorm
i didnt know you guys still practiced that baptism of the dead thing. Its creepy to me, however you have the right to do what you want in worship, I dont see that its any beezwax of the Catholic diocese
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 9:22AM #8
Ironhold
KSL article

Looks like this decision will hurt genealogy enthusiasts far more than it will hurt the church.

I'd say that this is indeed looking to be a PR blunder.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 12:52PM #9
rideronthastorm
I agree with that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 3:44PM #10
hairup
The LDS church for years has gone in & microfilmed records of many Catholic Parishs all over the world; with the blessing of the Parish. In exchange for this wonderful opportunity; the LDS Church gives the Parish a copy of the microfilm      roll(s) they made from the records. They also let them know that a copy will be stored in the Granite vaults for preservation in the most climate controlled environment available. Another copy is placed in the Family History Library for all too see.
What I don't get, is why stop?? Can't the Catholic Church say, "We appreciate all you have done to preserve the records of our church that we have acquired over hundreds of years. We just wish that you would quit using them for Baptism for the Dead."
The Jewish faith made a similar request with the records of the Holocaust victims & the LDS Church complied & we still enjoy a good relationship with them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook