Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Would you be offended?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 5:14PM #1
rideronthastorm
Yes well i am trying to get on the Yoga Hindu Christian track, the Self Realization group teaches to read the Bhagavad Gita as well as worhsipping of the Christian God. So i read the BG and chant and meditate the Hindu way but dont worship the Hindu Gods. i believe in the Christian God.

I dont have a program per say to study the Bible from or a view point to pray or study the bible from,kind fo lost here as far as Christianity goes, I had come on here before awhile back i got the address over Christmas, an internet web sight to study Mormon beliefs, i just wondering if I could get it again, would you be offended if I looked at it at home? Im not planning on going to the Temple or anything just want to study at home and check it out would that be too offensive to you guys?

I am a member of UU and study what i need too for spriituality, I dont have a Christian program so Im kind of lost as to where to go with Christianity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 7:11PM #2
BillThinks4Himself
What's there to be offended at?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 7:23PM #3
rideronthastorm
ok well if you guys have a link to websight or anything on the net you can give me it would be so appreciated.

I realize Im somewhat of a flake, Ive been through lots of religions. id like to check into one of the Christian programs though and right now, the only people Im attached to are the Osmonds, so LDS methods would probably be of interest, like I said Im kind of lost when it comes to Christianity so it would be good to get some direction at home just whatever if you have as far as links on the net go, anything ok if not I understand,  if theres a link to the one I was under awhile back on Christmas, that old thread? is it still around? I think there was a link on it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 7:49PM #4
BillThinks4Himself
Try lds.org.  It lets you roam around, clicking on whatever interests you, with no strings attached.  It also has the virtue of being 'the horse's mouth" rather than somebody's version of what the LDS Church teaches. 

There's a link there to mormon.org, which is a great place to start.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 8:30PM #5
rideronthastorm
Oh thank you so much I will go there tonight and this week and do some studying, thats very helpful! You guys are real sweet i appreciate you putting up with a flake like me.

I had a good experience with the LDS church 3 years ago. I was going to work at a big place office building huge one, in D/FW which also housed the office of the LDS conference center, the big office I guess. There was always alot of LDs folks around soemtimes at different times and they said hi to me and were real friendly. I had a guy friend that I worked with at my phone job who date dmen and treated badly at times, and he and I worke duntil after 10 pm after the doors closed. he was going on a date with this guy and asked me if i wanted to come along and we could all hang out you know. Anyway, I went to the ladies room while they went to the car and they ditched me outside before i could find them drove off, and I was locke dout, everyone had gone home, the busses were all gone and I was stuck outside OMG. I was so scared. No and the LDs managers drove up and unlocked the office for me and let me in their office so I could call a ride and go home safe, they real sweet, i really dont remember them even trying to witness to me, no but they rescued me. So Ive had good experiences with you guys and I appreciate sweet gentle attitude thats nice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 8:52PM #6
bytebear
I agree that lds.org is a good place to start.

But if you want a specific manual, or a step by step instruction I would look at "Gospel Principles" It is the Sunday School manual for visitors and new members.  It will teach you all the basics, and is written in an easy to understand format.

I would also go to deseretbook.com. It is the online bookstore of the church. Tons of good books to browse.

Finally I would read the Book of Mormon. You can get a free copy from mormon.org, or read it online at scriptures.lds.org.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 11:01PM #7
rideronthastorm
Oh yes Im already reading it, actually listening to it at Lds.org, its cool. I like it. I like the basic beliefs, i went there first,the idea that god forknew us as spirit children and we were sent to be human beings to grow more close to God thats cool. well. Ill be back tomarrow, i appreciate listening to it, sometimes Im too just tired to read.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 8:09PM #8
ProfitOfGod
I'm not sure I follow.

Is the OP asking, "Would you kind LDS folk be offended if I studied or researched your religion?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 8:50PM #9
rideronthastorm
Whats the OP?, and if your referring to me, i was asking for the link to the adress to study it for free, i do think asking for one tiny tineey favor as small as it is requires some explanation most of the time,most people think of me as being a flake, ive been through studying so many religions that people do actually get offended when I want to start a topic on their section or ask questions about studying it, theyre put out with me changing around so much its not uncommon, so I had to say from the beginning Im kind of a freak and I know I have a bad rep for being flakey with religion so please dont get offended and then I asked for the link, I think that was appropriate considering my situation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 12:01AM #10
danhoward1
Some would call you a flake, but I think it would only fit if you had found what you thought to be the entire truth and left it behind because things were tough. On the other hand, if you have merely sought Truth, taking it from whatever the source may be, then you are a seeker. This is a breed that is rare nowadays, and the world is less for the lack.

I find I am built the same way, but I am absolutely confident of the truth of the LDS faith. So I find myself studying the history and doctrines of the church pretty heavily, and I have a keen interest in the faiths of others (past and present). I don't think anyone has been offended by your sincere inquisitiveness, and even if you move on to other things, you can only be better off for the Truths you find here (assuming that you incorporate and live by those Truths). Here are a few of my favorite qoutes from Joseph Smith on the matter:

"One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may."

"We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true Mormons."

"If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way. Do you believe in Jesus Christ and the Gospel of salvation which he revealed? So do I. Christians should cease wrangling and contending with each other, and cultivate the principles of union and friendship in their midst."

I hope that you may yet find many precious pearls of truth, let them come from whence they may. If at any time you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Other than that, the above links are beautiful places to start.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook