Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 9:41AM #11
tawonda
If a respectful guest (former UCC church attender, friend of several UCC pastors and layfolk, and gay person) may chime in here: One major problem with polygamy is that it's hard to imagine polygamous relationships based upon gender equality/equity...polygamy by nature seems to assume that women are commodities, and/or subordinates to male parents and husbands. To me it's a system that is inherently inimical to female equity and autonomy. And that makes it inimical to the values modeled by Christ, that Christ's body, the Church, is also called into modeling and affirming.

My own relationship is an egalitarian partnership. We wouldn't have it any other way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 10:28AM #12
Xpan_ur_mind_xpan_ur_heart
John, I understand your frustration with how some people take one thing, same-sex marriage, and run wildly down some made-up slippery slope.  However, the basic question about what constitutes as a Christian Marriage remains. 

Two made into One, that’s the sacrament of marriage.  That is, God takes two individual lives and helps to create a new life (similar to how God takes a non-believer/non-baptized person and gives them a new life in Christ). 

It seems to me Scripture’s rules teach that problems arise when there are not two whole individuals seeking union.  A child, an animal, someone being held against their will, someone intoxicated or drugged, people who have not fully mourned the loss of a spouse (by death or divorce), someone still seeking their Spiritual path…  these are all examples of people who have not yet been made whole and thus any union between them and another would meet the requirements for sacrament of marriage.

And thank you all, because now after looking deeper and more prayer I realize the difference between same-sex marriages and polygamy:  polygamy is trying to hold multiple marriages at the same time while same-sex marriages are just one.  Tawonda, you’re right -- polygamy dictates that one party (usually the wife) is in the marriage fully when the other (usually the husband) is not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 10:32AM #13
JonAtFaithUCC
XPan,

You've done a good job of working through the issue over the course of this conversation and articulating both scriptural and practical reasons why you feel comfortable opposing polygamy.  Good luck to you in the future.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook