Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
6 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 11:36AM #31
Hoppy393
Mkeoffaith:

I think that to be called 'reformers,' we Lutherans would have to be actively trying to reform the Roman Catholic church.  I no longer believe that accurately reflects our position.

How many Lutherans does it take to change a lightbulb?  None.  Lutherans don't believe in change.  :)

Of course, the term 'protestant' may also be innacurate.  For the vast majority of denominations, we are not protesting the Roman Catholic church, and we do not conduct our worship services primarily to say that the RC tradition is incorrect, but to worship our God. 

I think 'Christian' would be the correct term.

Now here is a fun question:  How much overlap do you think there is between the terms 'Roman Catholic' and 'Christian?'
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 10:51PM #32
mkeoffaith
Interesting point Hop.  I think you are right that as a whole Lutherans aren't much for change.  But I think by our very existance and by our not having been sucked back into Mother church that we are still "reforming" in a sense.  It's more of a passive reforming. :)

I remember growing up and palying with other kids in the neighborhood and discussions, as much of a discussion 10 year olds can have, of religion would come up and we would ask one another what religion we were, there was always at least one who would answer Jewish, most of us would answer Christian, but the RC''s would always answer that their religion was Catholic.  I always thought that was very sad.  But I guess when you are raised drinking that cool aid, there isn't much realization involved.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2008 - 1:51PM #33
tawonda
I find I have much more in common theologically and stylistically with Roman Catholics than with, say Baptists. (Actually I find I have more in common with Buddhists than Baptists..)

In the community where I work the local ELCA, Episcopal and RC churches have entered into a LARC -- Lutheran-Anglican-Roman Catholic -- covenanted relationship with one another. They have agreed to regularly meet together for fellowship and educational activities, to periodically worship together to the extent they're able (they've worked around the Eucharist problem -- the RCC, as most of you know, practices closed communion -- by having joint services up to the point of the Eucharistic liturgy, then having the RC priest do his own thing and the RC assistants commune their people while the other clergy preside together for the rest of the worshippers, and to pool resources for community aid projects, things like Vacation Bible School, etc.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook