Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Fresh Thoughts on God
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 1:12PM #1
rbchaddy2000
Brother John: I think that I will have stopped growing, reflecting, meditating, and thinking if  I become fixed. I have more than a dash of mysticism and appreciate the poets, who never could quite fully say in words what they are realizing, sensing and feeling. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 1:08PM #2
rbchaddy2000
Brother John: I am reworking and reworking as I go along. Since I think that creeds impede thought I feel a precious luxury of freedom at last. Another thought is to recall Thomas Cranmer and his ever changing views on the real presence. Cranmer found God more in worship than doctrine. I find God in the reverence I feel for life, nature, and reality. I feel no need to be afraid to revise as new intuitions come along. Many great mathematicians and physicists, which I certainly am not, saw flashes of insight and revised their reflections accordingly. Just a thought. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 10:21AM #3
rbchaddy2000
As I have explored philosophy, religion, and theology, I have found myself restoring references to God in my thinking and meditation. I seem to be somewhere in the spectrum of religious naturalism of the third variety according to wikipedia, which overlaps with process thought and panentheism. God is nature, but more than nature. It is a kind of creation spirituality, an evolutionary panentheism. I see God as real. I do not subscribe to the traditional concepts of omnipotence, omniscience, and modify benevolence to recognize that nature is neutral to "natural evil" and its effects on people. I reject traditional Christianity,  and its doctrines of the incarnation, the trinity, the physical resurrection, supernaturalism, and so on. I see Jesus as a sublime teacher and prophet with the "divine spark" in him. Metaphorically, Jesus can bridge the human and the divine. I gravitate most to the thought of Charles Hartshorne now. I could be described as progressive/liberal Christian depending on how lenient the critic of my reflections would be on my views of Jesus. The UUA makes great sense for me, and best represents my spiritual needs. I can appreciate liberal Quakers and Reform Judaism. The TEC is elastic enough to tolerate my idiosyncracies, so I am glad that my requst to resign was ignored. The Anglican/Episcopal Forum is among the very best on all of Beliefnet. Blessings. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 10:44AM #4
Dutch777
[QUOTE=rbchaddy2000;435402] I could be described as progressive/liberal Christian depending on how lenient the critic of my reflections would be on my views of Jesus.  Richard[/QUOTE]

Richard:

You do your own thing; walk your own DharmaPath.  Most TECies aren't into invading the sanctity of another person's mind or violating their personal boundaries; those who do are religioflakes.

Personally, I'm as lenient as all-outdoors, latitudinarian and omniverous.  Just Keep On Truckin'.
:)
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 10:59AM #5
brjohnbc
Richard ... with all due respect, I can't keep track of what your believing from one day to the next (and that's ok)but as Dutch says ... keep on trucking!

I'm sure that someday you will actually figure out what you believe an leave all else behind.  Personally, I believe that First Nations Spirituality (Native American) has it more bang on than any of us.  They don't need all the hocus pocus and labelling that we seem to need. 

Blessings
Br. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 9:58AM #6
rbchaddy2000
Brother John: I remain in the third variety of religious naturalism, which does believe in God. In my case, it is a process approach. Charles Hartshorne has been of more help to me posthumously than anyone else. Theologically, i am a Unitarian, and quite cormfortably. I am a member of the Church of the Larger Fellowship. I have reached a workable compromise with my family. A new pastor has been installed at my Mom's ELCA church. He is a Terry Fugate, a dear friend of 18 years. He accepts me as the "Thomas Jefferson" of Ascension with much respect. I have remained a nominal member there as I do at Grace. My wife is going to join without having to do a Lutheran confitrmation, and my son, Shane, will be baptized as an adult there. Terry said stay yourself as a Unitarian, and be a social Ascension member fully. I have personal peace now, and family harmony. Bea can never accept gay ordination, so the TEC is out for her, and Mom's 91.5, so she needs her son in church with her. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 11:33PM #7
sunflowerchicky
Sometimes, the journey, with its twists and turns and u-turns is more important than the destination.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 10:30AM #8
Dutch777
[QUOTE=sunflowerchicky;544545]Sometimes, the journey, with its twists and turns and u-turns is more important than the destination.  :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, and once you've hit 65 you can take your time about it --- and get a senior citizen's discount.  flickr.com/photos/bobswanson/406463271/
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 12:48PM #9
SeraphimR
"When I was just a little young boy,
Papa said son, you'll never get far,
Tell you the reason, if you wanna know,
Cause child of mine, there isn't really far to go."

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Words by Robert Hunter
Music by Jerry Garcia
People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 10:30AM #10
Dutch777
[QUOTE=sunflowerchicky;544545]Sometimes, the journey, with its twists and turns and u-turns is more important than the destination.  :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, and once you've hit 65 you can take your time about it --- and get a senior citizen's discount.  flickr.com/photos/bobswanson/406463271/
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next