Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View communion for everyone????
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 11:21PM #21
Merrill48
Hi from an interloper from a couple of different faith traditions (Episcopal for my first 45 years then Presbyterian (USA) since [don't ask how many years ]).

This thread reminded me of the Prayer of Humble Access, which in the traditional Anglican/Episcopal communion service is said after the consecration of the bread and wine and before the invitation to communion. The prayer is:

We do not presume to come to this your table, merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in your manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under your table. But you are the same Lord, whose nature is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of your dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

Not directly related to the issue of "how old do you have to be to take communion", but close enough, I think.

And Junia, your story about the toddler sharing the bread with you is priceless!

Shalom,
Merrill
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 11:21PM #22
Merrill48
Hi from an interloper from a couple of different faith traditions (Episcopal for my first 45 years then Presbyterian (USA) since [don't ask how many years ]).

This thread reminded me of the Prayer of Humble Access, which in the traditional Anglican/Episcopal communion service is said after the consecration of the bread and wine and before the invitation to communion. The prayer is:

We do not presume to come to this your table, merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in your manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under your table. But you are the same Lord, whose nature is always to have mercy: Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of your dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen.

Not directly related to the issue of "how old do you have to be to take communion", but close enough, I think.

And Junia, your story about the toddler sharing the bread with you is priceless!

Shalom,
Merrill
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 6:57PM #23
arkstfan
I would suggest taking a look at the book Come to the Table by John Mark Hicks for some interesting thoughts on communion. He makes a compelling case for children participating and that other than excluding those who reject following Christ that the table should be open.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 9:28PM #24
Campbellite
I am not the Lord's bouncer. I do not decide who does or does not get to come to the table.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook