Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 12:42PM #1
Smurfette2002
Just wondering what does everyone for Christmas. For instance, I always waiting until the first Sunday of Advent to start decorating for Christmas and take everything down at the end of Advent. My husband, who grew up Southern Baptist, always set up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving and took them down about New Years day. Decorations after that point was "tacky" and you were just being lazy. :)

Anyway, just wondering what "rules" others follow for Christmas celebrations and decorating. I've already seen people put up their lights and decorations up at the beginning of November in my neighborhood. Now I think that's too early, but hey, to each his own...

Happy soon-to-be Advent Season everyone!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 4:13PM #2
TemplarS
We always put ours up the day after Thanksgiving.  We usually have a  houseful of people on Thanksgiving; so we resist the urge to get a jump on things- Thanksgiving should be Thanksgiving, not a mini-Christmas.

In our area, that seems to be typical, I haven't seen much in the way of house decorations yet- just in the stores, where they started showing up around Halloween :eek:.

We take ours down the weekend after New Year's.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 9:00PM #3
Shaner
We always put up our Christmas Tree and Decorations the first Saturday in December and leave them up until the day after New Years.  When I was younger, my Mom would leave the tree, decorations up until Jan. 6th, 'little Christmas'. 

Yes, I've noticed quite a few houses around here that are decorated outside - very nice! 

Peace
Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 3:18PM #4
cove52
I keep decorations up until January 6th, "Little Christmas" or the Feast of the Epiphany.

I have a friend who celebrates St. Nicholas Day.  She leaves a little gift out for each of her children.

I like to decorate right after Thanksgiving because it is so much work to take everything out and put it up.  I like to enjoy it for awhile.

My mother remembers as a child the Christmas Tree was part of her Christmas morning surprise.  Her parents did not put up the tree until all the children were asleep on Christmas Eve.  It was very magical she recalls to wake up to all the decorations and gifts.
"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2008 - 12:22PM #5
Smurfette2002
Thanks for the replies. We have been slowly putting up Christmas decorations since the 1st Sunday of Advent, as we have been extremely busy with work and traveling. I do like the idea of the Christmas tree morning surprise but I don't think my son will allow it. :) It's already the 9th and he's beggin to see the Christmas tree and loves all the houses in our neighborhood decked out in lights.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook