Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Benedictions, The Pope in America
10 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2008 - 8:04AM #1
Shaner
In anticipation of BXVI's visit to America, Beliefnet has posted the following information,

[FONT='Times New Roman'][FONT=Arial]Benedictions: The Pope in  America[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'][FONT=Arial]A blog by David Gibson[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'][FONT=Arial]http://blog.beliefnet.com/benedictions/[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman'] [/FONT]
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 7:26PM #2
Barzillai
Thanks for the link, I will try to read about the Pope each day while in the US.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2008 - 4:08PM #3
anniet
Thanks for the post... I'm following the trip with interest...

I'm back to Bnet after a long hiatus...

Like what you've done to the place - still getting used to it!

peace
annie
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2008 - 12:09AM #4
Barzillai
Thanks for the information. It is helpful.

I wrote previously in this thread that I would try to read about the Pope each day while he was in the U.S. What actually has happened is that I have watched most of EWTN’s coverage and some parts of it a couple of times.

I have tried to also keep up with the blogs and the reading of the texts of his messages on the Vatican’s web site. But the TV coverage is so extensive and immediate, when I can, I am glued to my recordings of the days’ events, and don't read the daily written reports as much as I thought.

Although I understand the criticism this Pope has received from people whose opinion I think is sound and constructive, my admittedly novice-like view of this Pope has always been very high, from the day he said he had chosen the name Benedict. Now that admiration has expanded (I admire more about him) and deepened (this is a shepherd whose intellectual force and heart for God is changing the world).
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2008 - 7:48PM #5
archiecat1
I have been unexpectantly moved to tears of real joy at this papal visit. What a surprise to me! I had few expectations, so was all the more blown away at theimpact our Holy Fathers visit had on me. It really inspired my partner and I. I am so encouraged. Thank God Jesus left us a visible flesh and blood pastor of the universal church. It's something that I lacked as a Fundamentalist Protestant for many years. But God does give us physical signs of his grace, not just immaterial spiritual concepts. God really did enter time and space and so it is wonderful that  we have a "real" head of the church, not just a symbolic and invisible supreme pastor!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2008 - 11:32PM #6
Barzillai
Thanks Archiecat for the comments about the remarkable past 6 days. I plan to watch again and read his comments on the Vatican web site, here.

From the Pope who showed the world Catholics can laugh, this Pope shows an assembled world that Catholics can think. But, I agree that B16's widest appeal is based in his charm and personal grace. If they had not before, American Christians, Catholics and huge numbers of Protestants, now love this Pope.:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 7:48AM #7
Shaner

anniet wrote:

Thanks for the post... I'm following the trip with interest...

I'm back to Bnet after a long hiatus...

Like what you've done to the place - still getting used to it!

peace
annie

Hello Annie,

Nice to have you back!  Yes, the 'new' Beliefnet is very much different from the 'old' and thankfully they've reduced the amount of Catholic Forums, I say thankfully because I always thought there were too many :-). 
It can be a little daunting at first, but you quickly get used to it, you found your way back to your old Forum, :-). 

Watched the Pope on tv, loved it and his Speeches, just wish he would've  slipped across the border, lol!

Happy to have you back!

Peace,
Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 7:57AM #8
Shaner

archiecat1 wrote:

I have been unexpectantly moved to tears of real joy at this papal visit. What a surprise to me! I had few expectations, so was all the more blown away at theimpact our Holy Fathers visit had on me. It really inspired my partner and I. I am so encouraged. Thank God Jesus left us a visible flesh and blood pastor of the universal church. It's something that I lacked as a Fundamentalist Protestant for many years. But God does give us physical signs of his grace, not just immaterial spiritual concepts. God really did enter time and space and so it is wonderful that we have a "real" head of the church, not just a symbolic and invisible supreme pastor!

Hello archiecat,

I know what you mean, I too was blown away by the Holy Father's visit and was glued to the tv for most of it...it had a great impact on me and I wasn't expecting it to!  He's no longer an enigma that most Catholics expressed about him, we had a tremendous opportunity to see his human side!  What a great Bishop of Rome we have,

Peace,
Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 8:07AM #9
Shaner

Barzillai wrote:

Thanks Archiecat for the comments about the remarkable past 6 days. I plan to watch again and read his comments on the Vatican web site, here.

From the Pope who showed the world Catholics can laugh, this Pope shows an assembled world that Catholics can think. But, I agree that B16's widest appeal is based in his charm and personal grace. If they had not before, American Christians, Catholics and huge numbers of Protestants, now love this Pope.:)

Hello John,

Thanks so much for the link, its very useful!  I plan on reading the Pope's Speeches over again, they were all so very, very moving, to me anyway!

I noticed that the author of the Blog at the top of this page was doing Commentary for CNN, I believe, he was quite good as well,

Peace,
Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2008 - 10:46PM #10
Barzillai
B16 said the following during a meeting with representatives of other religions at the "Rotunda" Hall of the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center of Washington. Full statement is here.

[INDENT]"There is a further point I wish to touch upon here. I have noticed a growing interest among governments to sponsor programs intended to promote interreligious and intercultural dialogue. These are praiseworthy initiatives. At the same time, religious freedom, interreligious dialogue and faith-based education aim at something more than a consensus regarding ways to implement practical strategies for advancing peace. The broader purpose of dialogue is to discover the truth. What is the origin and destiny of mankind? What are good and evil? What awaits us at the end of our earthly existence? Only by addressing these deeper questions can we build a solid basis for the peace and security of the human family, for "wherever and whenever men and women are enlightened by the splendor of truth, they naturally set out on the path of peace" (Message for the 2006 World Day of Peace, 3)."[/INDENT]

[INDENT]"We are living in an age when these questions are too often marginalized. Yet they can never be erased from the human heart. Throughout history, men and women have striven to articulate their restlessness with this passing world. In the Judeo-Christian tradition, the Psalms are full of such expressions: "My spirit is overwhelmed within me" (Ps 143:4; cf. Ps 6:6; 31:10; 32:3; 38:8; 77:3); "why are you cast down, my soul, why groan within me?" (Ps 42:5). The response is always one of faith: "Hope in God, I will praise him still; my Savior and my God" (Ps 42:5, 11; cf. Ps 43:5; 62:5). Spiritual leaders have a special duty, and we might say competence, to place the deeper questions at the forefront of human consciousness, to reawaken mankind to the mystery of human existence, and to make space in a frenetic world for reflection and prayer."

[/INDENT]

The Liturgy of the Hours is an ancient way to consecrate our time and pray the Psalms.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook