Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 3:10PM #1
Jupiter6208
I would like to know what is the difference between the Church of Christ and the United Church of Christ

Thanks
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 7:29PM #2
mecdukebec
I just happened to be flipping the channel and happened upon the Republican Channel, Fox News, and lo, and behold, the new line is that IObama is just continuing Bush.  That's the new talking point, folks, of the Right.  Viz. and e.g. the points made, such as they are, in re: Bush and War.  I guess that when we start to hear that Iraqis will one day name their children Dick and George, then we can all tune in to Fox, and get clear instruction.

Stay tuned.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 7:49PM #3
mecdukebec
I'm UCC, but I'm also Disciple, with family in all three branches of the Stone-Campbell movement.  Let's just put it this way:  The UCC is like the C of C in name only.  The obvious:  The C of C is without a HQ (except heaven, as I recall the C of C saying), and the UCC is HQ'd in Cleveland (yes, Cleveland; I am a former Clevelander).  The C of C uses a capella music, the UCC does not.  The UCC, however, is really congregationally governed, and so is the C of C, despite the apparent differences. 

The C of C is theologically and politically conservative, but the UCC is either liberal to more moderate.  Personally, in the UCC there is a fine tradition of church suppers, and I'd like to think that the same is true in the C of C, at least in the DoC, where we once had a church dispute whether deviled eggs are appropriate to a church supper (!).   At any rate, the C of C sees itself as a restoration of NT Christianity on a pattern of silence and command from the NT text; the UCC is more consciously Reformed in its faith, but the original founders of the Stone-Campbell Movement, the two Campbells, Stone, and Scott, were all former Presbyterians, all Reformed Christians, then later Baptists, at least the Campbells. 

One more thing:  The Stoneite Christians were afraid of the Disciples of the Campbells as being too risky in terms of radical Christianity, and they joined the Congregational Christian Churches, which eventually joined the Evangelical and Reformed Church to form the UCC in 1957.  The name United CHURCH OF CHRIST was thought by the Southern E and R to be a bad name, in terms of distinguishing from the C of C, where the C of C is far, far more significant in terms of numbers than the UCC.   They did not prevail, and the UCC name stuck.  To this day, however, the Stoneite Christians have died out in the UCC in terms of white churches; but, there are African-American Christian Churches in the UCC to this day, in spite of the fact that those of us who have been to Cane Ridge where Stone, et al., began will know that the old church had a slave quarters place upstairs where the slaves could sit.  Ironic, no?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 9:09AM #4
Mistah
As i see it,every time you see a different name you see different beliefs and worships...The church of Christ is the one that keeps it safe in just trying to follow the new testament churches example without adding anything because of our personal comfort as others do. 

...The other thing you wont see is the church of Christ claiming to follow any men...so the two different names show disagreement and branching off due to addition and subtraction.

...Basically...one is standing for the scriptures and the other saying "We want this in worship and we'll just break off and rename ourselves to have it!!"

I always noticed others calling us sister churches,but if you ever go to a C.O.C. you wont hear of such things due to us believing in one church having a certain order according to bible doctrine and not doing things the same would be confusion and unauthorized by God and God is not the author of confusion.....If God didn't Authorize it,then it simply means men did?.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 2:53PM #5
Jupiter6208

Mistah wrote:

As i see it,every time you see a different name you see different beliefs and worships...The church of Christ is the one that keeps it safe in just trying to follow the new testament churches example without adding anything because of our personal comfort as others do. 

...The other thing you wont see is the church of Christ claiming to follow any men...so the two different names show disagreement and branching off due to addition and subtraction.

...Basically...one is standing for the scriptures and the other saying "We want this in worship and we'll just break off and rename ourselves to have it!!"

I always noticed others calling us sister churches,but if you ever go to a C.O.C. you wont hear of such things due to us believing in one church having a certain order according to bible doctrine and not doing things the same would be confusion and unauthorized by God and God is not the author of confusion.....If God didn't Authorize it,then it simply means men did?.

I think i understand

The Church Of Christ is Pretty much Conservative and The United Church of Christ i take it is  Liberal?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 4:45PM #6
Campbellite

jupiter6208 wrote:

I think i understand

The Church Of Christ is Pretty much Conservative and The United Church of Christ i take it is  Liberal?

Pretty much.

The United Church of Christ has some common roots with the Campbell Stone movement as was posted above. The UCC's are in a close relationship with the Disciples of Christ, having a common Board of Global Ministries.

Yes, I know that this is very different from the way the churches of Christ do things. That is one of the sad but true realities of our split 100 years ago.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook