Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 1:24PM #1
chaoscoach
I am a disciple in the reddest state in the union.  President Obama lost in all 77 counties.  I am forwarded borderline racist messages, and have even been subjected to a co-worker of thirty years, curseing that "n_____."  I responded by avoiding this person for a week, but felt I must, as a christian, reopen the lines of communication.  My "good morning" was met with a gruff  "morning", and obvious disdain.  I am having to fight off anger at all those who would exclude some people and seek to divide us.  Just wonder'd if anyone else is having these feelings.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 4:02PM #2
mecdukebec
I hear you.  The organist of our church was forwarded messages wishing an assassination of the President-elect, and so on; she said that after Thanksgiving 2009, when by that time it was clear that Obama was elected, the e-mails ceased and the racists relatives were mouth-stopped.  I have to chuckle at those who insist that God put Bush into office, but obviously changed her mind, when she put Mr Obama into office.  Hang in there.  Which Southern state are you in, btw?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 10:26PM #3
Vanessa86
Hey there, Chaoscoach! I feel your pain, as someone who has spent much of her life in the South, and as the daughter of an ardent Republican. Although I overhear the occasional stupid remark, most folks who know me at all know better than to say that kind of crap around me, so I haven't gotten the emails, etc. And of course it makes me see red to hear ignorant remarks.

As for the coworker, perhaps the thing to have said at the time was,"I can't believe a person as nice as you would say something so mean/cruel. That's totally unlike you." But now you're well past that stage. I guess you should keep on as you have: be civil and pleasant, and leave the door open for future goodness. But for now, you will probably have to let him/her continue acting like a brat that didn't get his/her way, unless you're a supervisor and can advise this person how his/her attitude is affecting the workplace and say to lighten the heck up. (Presumably, others are having trouble with this person too.) Speaking of the workplace, does your employer have an HR department or equal rights office you can work with?

Good luck to you! That sort of person can be so draining; keep your own boundaries and integrity intact!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 8:10PM #4
chaoscoach
I'm in Oklahoma.  My Pastor and her husband are sympathetic, so that helps.  Also, I think I"m being a little too sensitive.
Thanks for your reply!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 10:41PM #5
Vanessa86
Or maybe you're being exactly sensitive enough! Don't downplay your instincts. Just because this behavior is practiced in some circles does not make it acceptable.

Best wishes from someone next to Oklahoma! (I'm currently in Austin, TX, and used to live in Denton).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 11:06PM #6
mecdukebec
If anyone is saying that President Obama should be assassinated, then they should be reported to the FBI.  If anyone uses the "n' word, and tells you about Rush playing "Barack the Magic Negro," then s/he needs reporting to your HR office for creating a hostile work environment.  It is not your problem; it's the problem of the nut-jobs on the Right.  We are Disciples, and we follow Jesus, not Rush; thanks be to God! -- Vanessa:  I was in Corpus Christi for 5 years, at the largest DoC church there (figure the reference out):  I recall good things about Austin and the DoC; any DoC church south of Austin was just weird, for this liberal, Midwestern DoC.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 10:41PM #7
Vanessa86
Or maybe you're being exactly sensitive enough! Don't downplay your instincts. Just because this behavior is practiced in some circles does not make it acceptable.

Best wishes from someone next to Oklahoma! (I'm currently in Austin, TX, and used to live in Denton).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 11:06PM #8
mecdukebec
If anyone is saying that President Obama should be assassinated, then they should be reported to the FBI.  If anyone uses the "n' word, and tells you about Rush playing "Barack the Magic Negro," then s/he needs reporting to your HR office for creating a hostile work environment.  It is not your problem; it's the problem of the nut-jobs on the Right.  We are Disciples, and we follow Jesus, not Rush; thanks be to God! -- Vanessa:  I was in Corpus Christi for 5 years, at the largest DoC church there (figure the reference out):  I recall good things about Austin and the DoC; any DoC church south of Austin was just weird, for this liberal, Midwestern DoC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 12:08AM #9
Campbellite
I am in Virginia, which has voted for the GOP candidate every election since 1964.

Until now, :D

I live in Lynchburg. In the shadow of Liberty University. (I used to be in the same zip code and ol' Jerry Hisownself)

In the election in November, every precinct in Lynchburg went for Obama except one, and that one was the one for Liberty Univ.

There's hope for y'all yet.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2009 - 12:32PM #10
mitchel1
I served my first church in Oklahoma. It was not a good match. I had been there about one year when a board motion was made to fire me because I refused to lead a patriotic worship service on July 4th, which happen to fall on a Sunday that year. The vote failed but my ministry there was over. In six months I had moved on.  The experience taught me a lot about the power of rabidly right Americanity in the churches. But I doubt if it is more evident in any state than in Oklahoma.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook