Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Revisionist view of homosexuality & the idea that "all are saved" and there's no Hell
9 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 9:02AM #1
holst
I was just reading the post earlier here that said we ought not to think that liberal theologians do not view The Bible as the supreme authority for everything we do in the Church.

Indeed, scripture is almost always what is used to make and defend new ideas about God.

It got me to thinking about a question I asked over at the other board here, which basically asked "do you view the Bible as condemning homosexual activity, but still want to fully accept gay and lesbian persons anyway?"

While I am pro-Gay rights in the Church, I do sometimes see a plain reading of scripture as condemning homosexual activity.  However, I am never truly certain about this, and many people who have studied this matter much more than me have told me that the scriptures need to be studied more carefully, and in a more broad and historical context, and that this shows that in fact the Church has misinterpreted things all these centuries.

In any case, if those who believe that the Bible does not view modern, monogamous,  homosexual relationships as sin, then that would mean that the underpinnings of their beliefs do come from the Bible.

In the case of homosexual activity, we are really arguing over about a half dozen passages in the Bible and trying to make sense of something that is vague, and clearly addressing situations that humans are not in today with regard to same sex relationships.

I guess the point that I want to make here, is that there are far more contentious issues that are created by so-called "liberal" scholars.  Take for example, the notion that there is no Hell, and that all are saved.  This is a concept that has, over time, permeated modern Christian thought.  Many people have espoused this, and they either do not believe that Hell exists, or if they do they severely minimize it, saying "Hell is just the grave, or its not being with God".  But the problem that I see there is that this in no way reflects any reasonable interpretation of the Bible.  At the very least, I would say that there is no way that a person - using The Bible - could argue that "all are saved".

Anyone care to comment on my jumbled ramblings this morning?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 2:16PM #2
Dutch777
Soteriology is a huge subject requiring much background setting and contexting.  I'm not trying to cop-out; it's just a monumental subject.

Universalism does not necessarily mean, as you have stated, that "all will be saved" but rather that God does not close the door to salvation, either in this world or the next.  Obviously, this puts an entirely different dimension to Universalism.  Universalism is not a new concept either; it goes back at least as far as Clement of Alexandria and Origen in the 3rd. and 4th. centuries.
:)
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch