Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View philosophers and theologians
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 10:36AM #1
Jupiter6208
A question i have,  Who do you think are some of the best Lutheran philosophers  and theologians. i guess Christian in General also
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 3:46PM #2
WannabeTheo
I would like to learn more about Soren Kierkegaard.  What I've heard about his philosophy seems pretty interesting.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 4:14PM #3
Sakhaiva
Bonhoeffer & Barth. 

Leo Tolstoy -- the latter years -- has caught my attention as of late.

Kierkegaard makes my head hurt, but that was the point right?  :)  My copy 'Practice in Christianity' is pretty dog-eared but not fully digested.  As I said, he makes my head hurt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 9:17PM #4
TomeReader
These four are highly significant and influential: The first three for their emphasis upon justification, the last for a theological basis for pietism. Also Bultmann's shadow still falls upon modern biblical studies for good and ill. Braaten, to me, is important for his acceptance of lay ministry. I don't care for Forde but I do respect him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 11:37AM #5
tawonda
Krister Stendahl
Timothy Lull
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 2:50PM #6
Sakhaiva
Is anyone familiar with Helmut Gollwitzer?  I've not read his writings yet but he was on my list....

Here is his obit from the NY Times

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h … A965958260
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 3:27PM #7
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=tawonda;1033858]Krister Stendahl
Timothy Lull[/QUOTE]

Timothy Lull i know I'm reading his book  "On Being Lutheran: Reflections on Church, Theology, and Faith " Which is very good.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 8:24PM #8
Swedish
Kirkegaard is indeed entertaining but mostly because I'm in love with the concept of existentialist philosophy. For actual morality I turn to the almost-not-helpful-at-all K E L√łgstrup. Also of Denmark.

I'm not in love with Kant because if I accept that morality is all about choice then I feel I end up with a strange Nietzschean struggle to make my morality an act of will...

And I just realized that all these lads are Lutheran...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2009 - 9:21AM #9
tawonda
And for people who want to understand the theological underpinnings and general mindset of the Missouri Synod, C.F.W. Walther.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 5:10PM #10
Haugean
I agree Walther is one of the best and you can find alot of his stuff on the Internet. You can also find a lot of Luther on the Web. Anything from Bonhoffer is good. I personally like the older stuff, even the stuff from the pietistic era. Spener, and Arndt's writings are good if you can find them. Personally I search every old book store for the writings of the old Lutheran pastors from the 40's and 50's. Especially those of the Lutheran Evangelistic Movement, and the Lutheran Bible Institute Movement. Maynard Force, Samuel Miller, A. W. Knock, Oscar Hanson and Ludwig Hope are all good. Another good Norweigian Lutheran  who's Book  "Prayer" is still in print today, is by O. Hallesby. It is considered by many to be one of the best books on the subject.

Wayne
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook