Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View The Flag...idolatry??
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 1:41PM #21
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Mistah;1026074]

Campbellite wrote:

Nevertheless, we gather about a piece of furniture that we know as the Lord's Table, on which we place bread and cup that we recognize as Christ's body and blood. Are those idols, or symbols?

Well...once again I'm in the Church of Christ....We never have had such a thing as a "Lords Table"... We just have the Lords supper...Nobody has called any table that since i've been a member in any congregation i've been to...Sorry.

I think I have mentioned this elsewhere on the coC board, but I am a member of the Disciples of Christ. But my family have been part of the Campbell/Stone Movement since at least the 1840's. When the churches of Christ and the Disciples of Christ parted ways a bit over 100 years ago, my family was divided as well. I am pretty familiar with both branches of the church family. I referred to the Lord's Table because that is what Alexander Campbell called it. "The Lord's Supper at the Lord's Table on the Lord's Day."

Hmm... Paul wrote letters to several churches. The church in Thessaloniki was not the same as the church in Ephesus, or Corinth, or Rome. Each church was distinctive (Paul couldn't just click on "reply all". :D ) Isn't that the same as the Church in America, or Canada, or Mexico? Each one is different and has it's own unique strengths and weaknesses. Yet they are all members of the one church of Jesus Christ on Earth. So we are CHRISTIANS first and foremost, but we are also (incidentally) Christians in America, with our own unique set of strong points and weak points.

I See what you're trying to get at but, they were all having problems and they were all put in the bible so that we wouldnt have the same problems. Its Church History for us not to repeat (you can expect problems at the beginning,why are we still having them?)....we all have the same rules now(the bible) ...As far as the names,..they werent there for "Pride reasons" just location...just as my congregation may be called the "5th avenue Church of christ"... We should be more like Paul in trying to correct the wrongs instead of just saying,well we all have strengths and weaknesses...

I was just speaking about Our pride and the things we follow that shouldnt be important if we were striving to be christians...[/QUOTE]
Bro. Alexander spoke of restoring the "Ancient Order of Things". Given the problems faced by the first century church, and the problems that face the church today, I'd say we've succeeded all too well. :D

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 1:50PM #22
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Mistah;1026092]As far as the pitchpipe goes...i havent ran across one of these in service either,in no congregation i've been to...if you ask me,in my opinion the lord just asked us to sing and hes happy.If youre trying to aid sound better then you're trying to please yourself or somebody else. God is pleased with us just doing what he asked and not worrying about sounding bad because he's not judging our voice,he's judging if we are singing or not[/QUOTE]

Spoken like someone with a tin ear. :p

I have been in the choir loft since nine months before I was born. My parents and grandparents have been trained (even professional) musicians. While I agree that we should "make a joyful noise unto the Lord", I also believe that we should always offer our best, our "first fruits", to the Lord. I would be disrespectful before the Lord if I offered any less than the best I can do. 

But then, I don't have a problem with having an organ in church either, FWIW. :cool:
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 1:41PM #23
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Mistah;1026074]

Campbellite wrote:

Nevertheless, we gather about a piece of furniture that we know as the Lord's Table, on which we place bread and cup that we recognize as Christ's body and blood. Are those idols, or symbols?

Well...once again I'm in the Church of Christ....We never have had such a thing as a "Lords Table"... We just have the Lords supper...Nobody has called any table that since i've been a member in any congregation i've been to...Sorry.

I think I have mentioned this elsewhere on the coC board, but I am a member of the Disciples of Christ. But my family have been part of the Campbell/Stone Movement since at least the 1840's. When the churches of Christ and the Disciples of Christ parted ways a bit over 100 years ago, my family was divided as well. I am pretty familiar with both branches of the church family. I referred to the Lord's Table because that is what Alexander Campbell called it. "The Lord's Supper at the Lord's Table on the Lord's Day."

Hmm... Paul wrote letters to several churches. The church in Thessaloniki was not the same as the church in Ephesus, or Corinth, or Rome. Each church was distinctive (Paul couldn't just click on "reply all". :D ) Isn't that the same as the Church in America, or Canada, or Mexico? Each one is different and has it's own unique strengths and weaknesses. Yet they are all members of the one church of Jesus Christ on Earth. So we are CHRISTIANS first and foremost, but we are also (incidentally) Christians in America, with our own unique set of strong points and weak points.

I See what you're trying to get at but, they were all having problems and they were all put in the bible so that we wouldnt have the same problems. Its Church History for us not to repeat (you can expect problems at the beginning,why are we still having them?)....we all have the same rules now(the bible) ...As far as the names,..they werent there for "Pride reasons" just location...just as my congregation may be called the "5th avenue Church of christ"... We should be more like Paul in trying to correct the wrongs instead of just saying,well we all have strengths and weaknesses...

I was just speaking about Our pride and the things we follow that shouldnt be important if we were striving to be christians...[/QUOTE]
Bro. Alexander spoke of restoring the "Ancient Order of Things". Given the problems faced by the first century church, and the problems that face the church today, I'd say we've succeeded all too well. :D

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 1:50PM #24
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Mistah;1026092]As far as the pitchpipe goes...i havent ran across one of these in service either,in no congregation i've been to...if you ask me,in my opinion the lord just asked us to sing and hes happy.If youre trying to aid sound better then you're trying to please yourself or somebody else. God is pleased with us just doing what he asked and not worrying about sounding bad because he's not judging our voice,he's judging if we are singing or not[/QUOTE]

I have been in the choir loft since nine months before I was born. My parents and grandparents have been trained (even professional) musicians. While I agree that we should "make a joyful noise unto the Lord", I also believe that we should always offer our best, our "first fruits", to the Lord. I would be disrespectful before the Lord if I offered any less than the best I can do. 

But then, I don't have a problem with having an organ in church either, FWIW. :cool:
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 2:05PM #25
Mistah

Campbellite wrote:

Okay...maybe i came off the wrong way to the readers((TIN EARS COMMENT))...let me clarify....God always wants us to do the best of our ability and to be doing things with the right reasons and his instruction on our minds....Withouty any additions to singing I've never heard a congregation sound Bad after everyones voices all came together in unison. It never sounded like a room full of bad singers...i know that God knew that we all have the power to sing to a certain extent and when the voices blend,they blend so sweetly with the participation of all of the faithful Christians. When you're not so worried or ashamed and you just let it flow it's almost miraculous how good things fall together through the order of god:)..

...also if i could i would have an organ, a whole band even in Worship,but then that would be my preferences and not Gods will,so i can go without a band until i get home where i can please myself...the aim is to please God according to his word during worship,not ourselves....As Paul said when people were abusing the worship place of GOD for their own pleasures...([COLOR=#000000]What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.) Do you despise the church,shall u be praised in these things??...i guess most people think so....but ill stick with Paul on this one...:)[/COLOR]

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 4:06PM #26
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Mistah;1029112] I've never heard a congregation sound Bad after everyones voices all came together in unison. It never sounded like a room full of bad singers...i know that God knew that we all have the power to sing to a certain extent and when the voices blend,they blend so sweetly with the participation of all of the faithful Christians.

That is one of the great strengths of the churches of Christ.

...also if i could i would have an organ, a whole band even in Worship,but then that would be my preferences and not Gods will,so i can go without a band until i get home where i can please myself...the aim is to please God according to his word during worship,not ourselves....As Paul said when people were abusing the worship place of GOD for their own pleasures...([COLOR=#000000]What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.) Do you despise the church,shall u be praised in these things??...i guess most people think so....but ill stick with Paul on this one...:)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This is a quite interesting text, BTW.

It seems that the church Paul was writing to often had what we would today call a pot-luck supper. (aka Agape feast) Anyway, the wealthier members (who had staff and leasure time) would bring their dishes, and immediately sit down to eat. By the time the less affluent (working class and slaves) were done with their daily labors, they would have little or nothing to bring, and all the food was gone. Paul was upbraiding the wealthier members, not for having a pot-luck, but for not waiting for the poorer members nor providing for them to eat together with them. They had set up a division along class lines. THAT is what Paul was calling them on.

But this strays a bit far from the flag business in the OP, doesn't it?

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 4:36PM #27
Mistah
[QUOTE]But this strays a bit far from the flag business in the OP, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the subject was strayed from a while ago...i was wondering when someone would notice or make a new thread...haha:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 4:36PM #28
Mistah
[QUOTE]But this strays a bit far from the flag business in the OP, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the subject was strayed from a while ago...i was wondering when someone would notice or make a new thread...haha:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 3:58PM #29
imsavedru
Pretty sure the "getting off topic"  was MY fault.  Sorry guys.

Mistah, start another thread.... LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook