Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Flag...idolatry??
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 11:07PM #1
Mistah
Modern Day Idolatry...

I've never felt right standing and placing my right hand over my heart and saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag. I'm reminded of a time while in highschool when I was almost kicked out of a class by my teacher who was a vet. It was so serious that she started crying. She cried because i said "I'm not saying a prayer to no ones flag."

It all seems to be a ritual, a prayer, and too much devotion to this piece of cloth. It means nothing to me and I'm not going to be caught dead staring emotionally while saying "I love the flag". (Like alot of people do)

...How do you feel about this? Am i taking this too far? I don't think so..

Any other idols being forced on us that we might not notice??..Lets start the contreversy...:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 12:32AM #2
Campbellite
I think we need to make a distinction here. Among the various hats I have worn, I have been a Boy Scout leader for twenty-odd years. When I am at a Scout function wearing a Scout uniform, I have no problem with the pledge of allegiance.  If I attend a City Council meeting as a citizen, I have no problem.

Where I DO see a problem is in having a US flag (or any other national flag) in a church.

I am open to other ideas, however.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 12:48AM #3
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=Mistah;1015227]Modern Day Idolatry...

I've never felt right standing and placing my right hand over my heart and saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag. I'm reminded of a time while in highschool when I was almost kicked out of a class by my teacher who was a vet. It was so serious that she started crying. She cried because i said "I'm not saying a prayer to no ones flag."

It all seems to be a ritual, a prayer, and too much devotion to this piece of cloth. It means nothing to me and I'm not going to be caught dead staring emotionally while saying "I love the flag". (Like alot of people do)

...How do you feel about this? Am i taking this too far? I don't think so..

Any other idols being forced on us that we might not notice??..Lets start the contreversy...:D[/QUOTE]

I guess it all depends  All countries do it. it shows your  patriotism for your country  but this is a free country you can feel anyway you want. and by the way its not a prayer i don't know where you get that idea. a lot of people have died for this Country so that you have the right to say and believe in whatever you want, just as you are doing now. that is why your Teacher gets emotional she loves her country. nothing wrong with that.

Peace.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 3:07PM #4
Mistah
okay...i dont think that having a flag is wrong..to me it represents the country... What im saying is that the whole ritual (i may have went to far by calling it a prayer) is a little too much..

Im not trying to make anyone mad...im just trying to see if theres anything considered too far when it comes to this thing??...Am I the only one who see that theres too much love going around for this thing??...i mean,if i cut a flag i'd fear for my life because people are defending it as if it was there saviour...The flag has done nothing for me but maybe it has for you.

P.S....If its a symbol of freedom of speech should a person get kicked out of a building for speaking their opinion on it?..hmmm??
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 4:12PM #5
Campbellite
There are a lot of opinions out there. You are right to say that some people DO treat the flag with something very much like religious devotion. I seem to recall something said about having two masters?...
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 3:07PM #6
Mistah
okay...i dont think that having a flag is wrong..to me it represents the country... What im saying is that the whole ritual (i may have went to far by calling it a prayer) is a little too much..

Im not trying to make anyone mad...im just trying to see if theres anything considered too far when it comes to this thing??...Am I the only one who see that theres too much love going around for this thing??...i mean,if i cut a flag i'd fear for my life because people are defending it as if it was there saviour...The flag has done nothing for me but maybe it has for you.

P.S....If its a symbol of freedom of speech should a person get kicked out of a building for speaking their opinion on it?..hmmm??
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 4:12PM #7
Campbellite
There are a lot of opinions out there. You are right to say that some people DO treat the flag with something very much like religious devotion. I seem to recall something said about having two masters?...
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 4:41PM #8
Mistah

Campbellite wrote:

[INDENT]Okay...now you get my point...there are alot of opinions...in mine i'd say a flag should be treated as a flag...it represents where you're from..to pledge allegiance to it is to make it more than just a flag...it cant even hear us...it reminds me of the bible when it talked about the foolishness of people building then talking to things they made as if they had life in them (human like qualities)...[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Habakkuk 2:19[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Woe unto him that saith to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in the midst of it.:D[/INDENT]

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 6:09PM #9
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=Mistah;1016800][INDENT]Okay...now you get my point...there are alot of opinions...in mine i'd say a flag should be treated as a flag...it represents where you're from..to pledge allegiance to it is to make it more than just a flag...it cant even hear us...it reminds me of the bible when it talked about the foolishness of people building then talking to things they made as if they had life in them (human like qualities)...[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Habakkuk 2:19[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Woe unto him that saith to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in the midst of it.:D[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

I  defiantly have to agree with you on getting kicked out of class for that. that is against the law and your rights were violated i would suspect.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2009 - 11:02PM #10
Mistah

jupiter6208 wrote:

I defiantly have to agree with you on getting kicked out of class for that. that is against the law and your rights were violated i would suspect.

Thats What i meant By: Things(actually traditions of men) Being forced on us without us knowing because we've been around them it since we were very young. If We all attended a sporting event and they raised the flag and we didn't stand...I'd advise us all to leave before it is over.:)

President Bush was Headlined all over the net for not holding the flag in the right direction....(i didn't even know there was such a rule:eek:)...i'd understand if he held it upside down...i bet more Americans hate him for that.

[INDENT]I really don't love the country...its very evil to me...i appreciate the country but, I'd rather do a simple thanks to God. Pray for the government and country as the Bible tells us to.[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Last of all we all know vets or active soldiers or see men in uniform every so often...Why don't we thank them in person and show appreciation WHILE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE:confused:...I think that that would do a whole lot more than talking toward the flag even if we do it everyday.[/INDENT]

[INDENT]...im just stirring up something...not attacking no one...i almost joined the marines but i left them alone when i noticed all the lies they were feeding me about the corps on top of the butt kissing that they try to force on you.[/INDENT]

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook