Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 2:01PM #1
bev_hare
I know that we aren't suppose to drink Tea or Coffee but is decaffeinated Tea and Coffee o.k.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 2:07PM #2
bytebear
That's for you to decide.  Why do you think coffee and tea are discouraged?  Now, do you think the same reasons apply to decafinated coffees and teas?  What about soft drinks?  Sugar?  Meat?

If you are asking if you will receive a temple recommend, then the question also lies within you.  The bishop askes, "Are you obeying the Word of Wisdom?"  You answer yes or no.  No details, and no prying.

For me, I would say no, although herbal teas are ok.  Why, because I don't need a drink every single morning.  It doesn't hinder my spiritual growth and personal decisions.  If I started relying on it, as I have with "diet Coke" then I avoid it.  I avoid all substances that are habit forming, and if I see a habit forming that will take away my free choice, I change my behavior. 

So, decide for yourself.  Are you hindering your free will?  Is it interfering with your spiritual growth?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 3:12PM #3
bev_hare
For me I don't think that  caffeine interferes with my Spiritual growth I really don't under stand why to give it up because there is caffeine in a lot of things like  Pop and chocolate why don't we have to give them up then
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 4:30PM #4
ProfitOfGod
[QUOTE=bytebear;365645]If you are asking if you will receive a temple recommend, then the question also lies within you.  The bishop askes, "Are you obeying the Word of Wisdom?"  You answer yes or no.  No details, and no prying.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 6:06PM #5
bytebear

bev_hare wrote:

For me I don't think that caffeine interferes with my Spiritual growth I really don't under stand why to give it up because there is caffeine in a lot of things like Pop and chocolate why don't we have to give them up then

Again, ask yourself why God specifically gave Coffee and Tea (and tobacco) as specifics that are not to be used at all.  Why those three items... Think about how they are used on a daily basis, and what reason God would want you to not use them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2008 - 7:10PM #6
bytebear
Well, the way I see it, God put us here on Earth to learn to choose right from wrong.  When we introduce addictive substances, that takes away from our free will.  Now, there are all sorts of addictive substances out there, but most of them are illigal, or considered at best, immoral.  Only tobacco, coffee and tea are both legal and common to daily addiction.  (Tea not so much in the US, but certainly in the UK).  So, we are told to avoid them to the point of complete abstinance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 12:37AM #7
danhoward1
Do not think of coffee and tea as evil. If you read the Word of Wisdom, you find that it was given because of the plans of evil and designing men in the last days. We may never fully comrehend the reasons God has, or the pitfalls to be avoided...it is enough that God has given us a command. If you have questions about the nature of it, or even the validty, go to God.

"We may come to Jesus and ask Him; He will know all about it; if He comes to a little child, he will adapt himself to the language and capacity of a little child."- Joseph Smith.

Pray, study, and fast if necessary, and then act in faith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 2:19AM #8
BillThinks4Himself
Every major religion has a dietary code that distinguishes it from other religions.  We can try to justify the dietary differences but, like sabbath worship, the distinctive code often has more to do with flag waving than anything else.

Jews aren't supposed to eat pork or seafood that doesn't have fins and gills, but they can drink wine.

Muslims aren't supposed to eat pork, either, but there's nothing wrong with seafood.  However, alcohol is forbidden, as are jellybeans.

Hindus can eat all the pork they want but they can't eat beef.

Buddhists generally don't eat meat of any kind.

Christians generally eat whatever they want and most consider alcohol okay in moderate amounts.

Mormons aren't against meat but push fruits, vegetables and grains.  Mormons don't drink alcoholic beverages and they are to stay away from coffee and tea.

Why coffee and tea?

I think it's symbolic.  As wine and strong drink stand on one side of the spectrum, representing foods that depress or sedate, coffee and tea represents the other side of the spectrum, foods that stimulate.  The true idea behind these guide posts is to identify a healthy zone to shoot for: foods that nutrify rather than overly stimulate or depress the nervous system.  The idea is to stay away from drugs and hard liquor - anything tending to take control away from the individual.

But couldn't a person drink less, or drink decaf, or find ways to simply avoid extremes?  Sure.  What's the spirit of the law?  Is this really a game of rules and violations or is it a principle relating to health?  If it were healthy for me to drink a beer (such as to induce urination), would I hesitate to drink a beer?  Joseph Smith drank wine before his death, to settle his nerves?  Clearly, he wasn't about to operate heavy machinery nor was he worried about the drive home.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 8:07PM #9
bytebear
Jellybeans?  Really?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 10:24AM #10
ProfitOfGod
If it wasn't for wine, my wife never would've gotten me.  :p
Quick Reply
Cancel