Switch to Forum Live View Cremation ... burial of ashes
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 9:20AM #1
moogle
I'm a UK Catholic.
The bishops of england and wales have sent out a letter stating that the ashes from cremations should always be given a proper burial in a graveyard with a priest attending.

With actual burial plots being hard to come by ... I feel it is more offensive for grieving members to have to hold on to remains until a date far in the future when a burial may be able to take place than to have them scattered in the cremation gardens with the right intent.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 9:20AM #2
moogle
I'm a UK Catholic.
The bishops of england and wales have sent out a letter stating that the ashes from cremations should always be given a proper burial in a graveyard with a priest attending.

With actual burial plots being hard to come by ... I feel it is more offensive for grieving members to have to hold on to remains until a date far in the future when a burial may be able to take place than to have them scattered in the cremation gardens with the right intent.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 8:22PM #3
MG42
[QUOTE=moogle;1011278]I'm a UK Catholic.

With actual burial plots being hard to come by ... I feel it is more offensive for grieving members to have to hold on to remains until a date far in the future when a burial may be able to take place than to have them scattered in the cremation gardens with the right intent.[/QUOTE]

Hi Moogle:

An interesting post but even more interestinger (if you'll forgive the grammar) is the quote by Edward Teller. Is he the same one as the great physicist?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 4:42PM #4
friendofsaints&angels

moogle wrote:

I'm a UK Catholic.

I recently heard a priest discussing this issue on a Catholic radio station called Relevant radio.

www.relevantradio.com

Someone had called in and was asking about the proper ways of burial, and or disposal of ashes. I heard some very interesting things that never really crossed my mind before, while I was listening to this particular program. it seems that cremations came about from rich, well to do upper class nonbelieving folks. these people didn't believe in God & for whatever reason decided to be cremated. I think that its a good idea that the Catholic church speaks out on this, & I hope that this matter is discussed in the American Catholic church some time soon. I live in the south subarbs of Chicago and it has been the latest fad for people to take the remains of their loved ones and toss them out at Wrigley field & other places as well. I believe that the death of a human being should still have some dignity to it, & I don't think that people should be spreading ashes at Baseball parks, shooting peoples ashes into outerspace and other silly things. the Catholic church considers the funeral & burials of people to be a Sacred thing (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and I would agree with that whole heartedly. I think that this is a very interesting topic for a thread, and I would love to have the Catholic church speak out on this matter and clarify their teachings on this issue.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2012 - 2:39AM #5
janela

Cremation vs burial is a question that you are asking yourself. This article is about the differences and cost of each.  Clinically cremation is the reducing of a dead human body to ashes. The cremated remains are then placed in a container and the family may keep or dispose of the cremains.  Burial is simply placing a dead human body in a container suitable for interring in the earth. Those are the basic differences.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Jul 27, 2012 - 01:30AM
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook