Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Double Standard For Obama???
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 10:43AM #1
Dutch777
religionnewsblog.com/20873/jeremiah-wright  When preachers like Jerry Falwell state that 9-11 was God's punishment on America, he's villified.  When churches become radical, politicians leave: Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have left the SBC.  Nevertheless, Rev. Jeremiah Wright spouts inflammatory, anti-American
rhetoric,  few take notice.  Why the double standard?

Doesn't Obama's continued membership in this congregation indicate his support of it's message?  If not, why hasn't he followed the examples of both Carter and Clinton and dis-affilliate from this group?  Why do Obama and Rev. Wright get free passes?  Why the double standard?
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 11:40AM #2
artemis01

dutch777 wrote:

religionnewsblog.com/20873/jeremiah-wright  When preachers like Jerry Falwell state that 9-11 was God's punishment on America, he's villified.  When churches become radical, politicians leave: Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have left the SBC.  Nevertheless, Rev. Jeremiah Wright spouts inflammatory, anti-American
rhetoric,  few take notice.  Why the double standard?

Doesn't Obama's continued membership in this congregation indicate his support of it's message?  If not, why hasn't he followed the examples of both Carter and Clinton and dis-affilliate from this group?  Why do Obama and Rev. Wright get free passes?  Why the double standard?

Well, the article says the pastor's retiring, so the question is moot at this point anyway.  (And nobody would have noticed Jerry Falwell, either - except that he's somehow risen to the center of power.  If it weren't for the "religious" right, and their attempt to infiltrate the government, who would care what he thinks?)

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 11:41AM #3
RJMcElwain

dutch777 wrote:

religionnewsblog.com/20873/jeremiah-wright When preachers like Jerry Falwell state that 9-11 was God's punishment on America, he's villified. When churches become radical, politicians leave: Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton have left the SBC. Nevertheless, Rev. Jeremiah Wright spouts inflammatory, anti-American
rhetoric, few take notice. Why the double standard?

Doesn't Obama's continued membership in this congregation indicate his support of it's message? If not, why hasn't he followed the examples of both Carter and Clinton and dis-affilliate from this group? Why do Obama and Rev. Wright get free passes? Why the double standard?

It's been awhile since I read through that church web site, however, as I recall, it seemed that a good deal of the Reverends inflammatory rhetoric was second hand, having been said by many white commentators as well.  Particularly, the comments about 9/11. There are a number of people that believe we brought 9/11 on ourselves because of our actions over the decades in Muslim parts of the world.

I don't know if I agree with either side on this, however, both sides have arguments in their favor.

How's that for skirting the issue?:D

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 12:08PM #4
JoanTreese

artemis01 wrote:

Well, the article says the pastor's retiring, so the question is moot at this point anyway. (And nobody would have noticed Jerry Falwell, either - except that he's somehow risen to the center of power. If it weren't for the "religious" right, and their attempt to infiltrate the government, who would care what he thinks?)

I agree with Artemis.

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 3:53PM #5
Dutch777
The main point isn't what the pastor believes and says; it's Obama's continued affiliation with a congregation where blatent anti-Americanism is preached from the pulpit; his continued support with the "3-Ts"; his failure to speak up against this.
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 5:24PM #6
AusAng
[QUOTE=dutch777;356883]The main point isn't what the pastor believes and says; it's Obama's continued affiliation with a congregation where blatent anti-Americanism is preached from the pulpit; his continued support with the "3-Ts"; his failure to speak up against this.[/QUOTE]

You can read a statement by Obama on the Huffington Post here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-ob … 91623.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 8:58PM #7
JoanTreese
Wait a minute.  Do you agree with EVERYTHING that your priest says from the pulpit or ANY clergy for that matter??? Obama can agree to disagree with his pastor.  He has distanced himself from the remarks.
Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 9:59PM #8
LitanyoftheSaints
Distancing isn't enough. It would be better if Obama said, "Yes, I know my Reverend said those things, but I don't necessarily agree with them. "  He has to be clear on where he stands. Especially since the Reverend said, "God d---n America!"  which is offensive to many Americans. That's not a good thing for your spiritual advisor to be saying  while you are running for POTUS!

My priest writes a column that can be controversial at times, and most times I agree with him, and then some times I don't. If was running for public office and the press linked me to what my priest has said, I'd come out and be clear about where I stand.
"The centrality of our mission is to love each other. That means caring for our neighbors. And it does not mean bickering about fine points of doctrine."- ++KJS
http://kjsfanpage.blogspot.com/
http://chicksinpointyhats.blogspot.com/

"We are to be Christ's hands and feet and heart and mind and we cannot do that if we assume God's role of judgment. The judge's job is filled. God alone is judge! Those who would be Saviors of the Church and the people in it are also reminded that the Savior's job has been filled. Jesus Christ filled it once for all. "- Bishop Rodney Michel
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 11:25PM #9
JoanTreese
Obama has made his position clear and the pastor is no longer a part of the Obama campaign.
Joan

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2008 - 10:56AM #10
Dutch777
[QUOTE=JoanTreese;357478]Wait a minute.  Do you agree with EVERYTHING that your priest says from the pulpit or ANY clergy for that matter??? Obama can agree to disagree with his pastor.  He has distanced himself from the remarks. [/QUOTE]

My priest doesn't "God-damn America" and blame White Folks for all the ills of society.  My priest doesn't join with Louis Farrikhan, leader of the Black Muslims aka "Nation of Islam" and take a jaunt to Muhamar Gadaffi's Lybia.  (Remember Farrikhan?  He's the one who's organization labels Caucausians "White Devils" who were created by Satan.  He's the one who called Judaism a "gutter religion".)  Louis Farrakhan has presented Rev. Wright with the Nation Of Islam's Person Of The Year Award.

Sen.Obama was a member of Rev. Wright's congregation for 20 yrs. and supported it with his presence and contributions; his two children were baptized there.  It was only after the pastor's anti-White, anti-American rhetoric were made known to the public that Sen. Obama "distanced" himself.   Former Presidents Carter and Clinton have formally left the Southern Baptist Convention because of its extremist stances; Sen. Obama hasn't left his local congregation for a less bigoted one.   I saw the videos on Youtube; I heard what was preached.  He was caught on tape.
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply