Switch to Forum Live View A retreat from....?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 3:38PM #1
Tamayo
So hello to all you so called "liberal Catholics" out there. I figured I'd start a thread here about non-religious related things to lighten the mood and hopefully stave off some of the animosity that has been flying around here lately.

How has your holiday season been so far? I am making it through my first official end-of-semester as a graduate student, and my goodness how different it is from my undergradate finals seasons!

I've also been exploring my love of avocados (in the Midwest, in December, I know, it's terrible :( I can't WAIT for spring) and my hatred for professors who are overly harsh because they don't specialize in what I specialize in.

How about you ladies and gentlemen?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 12:23PM #2
newsjunkie
[QUOTE=Tamayo;960808]So hello to all you so called "liberal Catholics" out there. I figured I'd start a thread here about non-religious related things to lighten the mood and hopefully stave off some of the animosity that has been flying around here lately.

How has your holiday season been so far? I am making it through my first official end-of-semester as a graduate student, and my goodness how different it is from my undergradate finals seasons!

I've also been exploring my love of avocados (in the Midwest, in December, I know, it's terrible :( I can't WAIT for spring) and my hatred for professors who are overly harsh because they don't specialize in what I specialize in.

How about you ladies and gentlemen?[/QUOTE]

Hi Tamayo!

I'd like to give a "merrier" report, but as a professor, this is one of the worst times of year for me. I have been so busy making up tests, grading, making travel arrangements, trying to get christmas baking and shopping done, etc. I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I give my last final exam tomorrow evening and then have to fly out to PA to visit my sister and brother the next morning. Bah! Humbug!! I'm hoping to be able to relax a bit Christmas week, which my hubby and I will spend at home, before we fly to visit his family on New Years.

But after New Years, I have a couple of weeks to chill and to get ready for Spring semester.

Congratulations on completing your first semester in grad school. It will get better when you don't have to take so many classes and can focus on your thesis or project.

Have a great semester break!
newsjunkie
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 8:59PM #3
TemplarS
Well, I'm actually doing okay.  Getting ready for the Holidays, the wife is a bit frazzled, since it seems there was one less week than normal between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.  I've also (no offense) got two teenage girls, one of whom just went to her first prom and got her drivers license in the span of three days; so how happy could I be?.

But hey, with the economy tanking, it could be much worse. I've got a job, it sort of sucks but pays well, we're all healthy. And Bush will be gone in a month.

So yeah, Merry Christmas!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 12:41PM #4
robertaf
I  also work and do love my job.  I work for the State of California, which is a pretty insecure place to be right now.

Our Governor is ready to lay off State workers adding to the unemployment problem in the state.
I took some vacation time to get some rest. 

HOWEVER, I  am the Grandma with my family living close by so you know what the Holidays will be at my house.
I love Christmas so am definately in the Holiday spirit, in spite of the job thing hanging over our heads.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 1:04PM #5
newsjunkie
Just got back from a trip to visit my sister. Flying during the holidays is not pleasant. I'm glad to be home in one piece! Now looking forward to not traveling until New Year's Day.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook