Switch to Forum Live View Danish Cartoons Re-Published...
7 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2008 - 2:49PM #1
Shaner
From this article, http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=56641

Why? Why would they deliberately want to fan the fire again, knowing the reaction it evoke's from Muslims? How does this promote peace?.........it doesn't, imho.

I don't call this 'standing up to terrorists' as the comments claim, I call it a deliberate antagonist act.

What do you think?

Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2008 - 3:54PM #2
rjak134
[QUOTE=Shaner;292816]From this article, http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=56641

Why? Why would they deliberately want to fan the fire again, knowing the reaction it evoke's from Muslims? How does this promote peace?.........it doesn't, imho.

I don't call this 'standing up to terrorists' as the comments claim, I call it a deliberate antagonist act.

What do you think?

Sandy[/QUOTE]

While I don't agree with publishing the cartoons just in order to provoke or rile people up (never a good reason to do something!) I think that that is really not the main point with which we should be concerned.  The paper has a right to print these cartoons for whatever reason they want, regardless of whether their justification is reasonable or unreasonable.  That's their right.  They may be wrong to do it, but that should be decided in the court of public opinion.

The real issue to me is that, in Copenhagen of all places, there are riots of Muslim extremists, burning cars and dumpsters, just because some newspapers exercised their right to free speech in a Western liberal democratic society.  The increasingly obvious fact that, on a global scale, offending Muslims is a life-threatening act, even in what should be the security of a peaceful democracy like Denmark, is the real headline here.  Western societies need to wake up to the fact that there is a real, threatening, an influential strain of Islam that refuses to adapt to Western standards, and believes that, in the end, all Western societies must be forcibly subjugated to Islamic law and we need to start considering seriously what to do about it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2008 - 9:41AM #3
Shaner

rjak134 wrote:

While I don't agree with publishing the cartoons just in order to provoke or rile people up (never a good reason to do something!) I think that that is really not the main point with which we should be concerned. The paper has a right to print these cartoons for whatever reason they want, regardless of whether their justification is reasonable or unreasonable. That's their right. They may be wrong to do it, but that should be decided in the court of public opinion.

The real issue to me is that, in Copenhagen of all places, there are riots of Muslim extremists, burning cars and dumpsters, just because some newspapers exercised their right to free speech in a Western liberal democratic society. The increasingly obvious fact that, on a global scale, offending Muslims is a life-threatening act, even in what should be the security of a peaceful democracy like Denmark, is the real headline here. Western societies need to wake up to the fact that there is a real, threatening, an influential strain of Islam that refuses to adapt to Western standards, and believes that, in the end, all Western societies must be forcibly subjugated to Islamic law and we need to start considering seriously what to do about it.

With freedom though, there is a certain level of responsibility attached to it......that applies to we in the western world as well, who live in free societies. 

What to do with Muslim extremists who would set fires, overturn cars, etc., if they're re-published........in a democratic society such as Denmark, treat them as you would any other citizen who break's the law.

The much larger picture?  At this point, I honestly don't know how or even if extreme proponents of Islam can be 'put back into the box'. 

Do you have any ideas?

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 4:36PM #4
cswalters
I could see both sides of this argument, but the thing is though, we in America and in some European countries, see Jesus and Mary mocked all the time, but yet we do not blow up any building for it. It is just time for the Muslims to grow up and quit acting like a bunch of suicidal militant babies.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 12:05PM #5
TemplarS
I suspect that most of us Christians in the west have seen so much crap on TV and the like which is offensive in one way or another that we have simply become desensitized.

It is perfectly obvious that burning cars and looting are not acceptable. These are criminal acts and should be treated as such.

But how does it help anything to persist in the sort of offensive act which touched off the riots in the first place? We are not talking about the sensibilities of Muslim extremists here, but of Muslims in general. They object to any portrayal of Muhammad; how do we expect them to take an exceptionally offensive one? It is one thing to make a political statement about Islam, or certain Islamist behaviors, but what is the use of doing this in a way bound to offend all Muslims? For that matter, I wish Christians would be a little less tolerant of some of the offensive stuff tossed our way.

At the end of the day, Muslim extremism cannot be controlled by anything non-Muslims do. It is within the Islamic mainstream that such efforts will succeed or fail. Ignoring that fact may be perfectly legal in the free-speech west. But it is idiotic all the same.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2008 - 12:48PM #6
cove52

TemplarS wrote:

I suspect that most of us Christians in the west have seen so much crap on TV and the like which is offensive in one way or another that we have simply become desensitized..

I don't think we are desensitized. I assume most Muslims are offended but are able to put the cartoons in their proper perspective. Certainly, our sensibilities, morals and intellect guide us to understand that killing people over a cartoon depiction is mad/insane. I was once told by a poster at another board here that my God was "simply a bloody corpse on a 2 by 4". I was pretty offended but I never felt like killing them over it. Basically, you consider the source.

I was watching a program recently about Brussels. I was surprised to learn that cartoon/comic strips are a highly regarded art form. There are many cartoon art schools there. Comic strip books are a serious business. About 60% of all books sold in this region are comic strip books. A museum in Brussels in entirely dedicated to cartoon art. In this part of the world the cartoon is obviously a highly regarded form of expression. From this perspective you get a better idea of why the Danish would defend the cartoon. It is not just about freedom of speech. It is about defending an art form, imo.

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook