Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Question for Campbellite
6 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2009 - 12:29PM #1
Mistah
Why take the name Campbellite?...convince me...

Just been on my mind...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 1:01AM #2
Campbellite
Well, there's nothing mysterious about it.

I registered on the Ship of Fools many years ago and used it as a screen name.

Early detractors of the Campbell/Stone Restoration Movement used to call us that (which you no doubt know, Bro. Alex didn't especially like, but what could he do?) The name was distinctive and let others know where my theological roots are. When I signed up for Bnet, I just used the same name.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 1:47AM #3
Mistah
okay...i see now,clever..
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 2:02AM #4
Wayne D
Yes, I have been called that a few times.  I do not particularly like being called that, even though from what I know of Alexander Campbell he was a man of great vision.  A return to original Christianity under the name of Christ..But, I strive to be a Jesus follower, not a Campbell follower.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 2:05AM #5
Wayne D
By the way Mistah, I love your tag line.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 3:22PM #6
susieq2001
A return to original Christianity?    Where was the original doctrine of Christianity before Campbell came along?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 9:58PM #7
Wayne D
In the bible, where it has always been.  Plain bible teaching such as repentance and baptism were  watered down (pun intended) by the rise of the false church, the Roman Catholic church, and its many daughters-which is the denominational world.  We of the church of Christ do not believe we are a denomination, simply Christians trying to serve the Lord sincerely the way he desires-not necessary the way that is easy or convenient to us.  We attempt to do this by following new testament patterns.
Where is infant baptism in the bible?  Or accepting Christ into your heart?  These are denominational doctrines.
Yours in Christ-
Wayne D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 9:58PM #8
Wayne D
In the bible, where it has always been.  Plain bible teaching such as repentance and baptism were  watered down (pun intended) by the rise of the false church, the Roman Catholic church, and its many daughters-which is the denominational world.  We of the church of Christ do not believe we are a denomination, simply Christians trying to serve the Lord sincerely the way he desires-not necessary the way that is easy or convenient to us.  We attempt to do this by following new testament patterns.
Where is infant baptism in the bible?  Or accepting Christ into your heart?  These are denominational doctrines.
Yours in Christ-
Wayne D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2009 - 1:16AM #9
susieq2001
So, if it has always been in the bible, speaking of what the Church of Christ believes...Why did it take a man(Campbell), years and years and years after Christ was here to start this denomination(yes, I do believe the C.O.C is a denomination).   I have done some studying of the c.o.c, and in my observations, you all do not follow all of the patterns laid out in the new testament, yet you all put them aside like they are not there.  And furthermore, are people who are not c.o.c not Christians?  My God, what happened to all of the poor souls who died before Campbell figured all of this out?  It was a long time between when our Dear Savior walked the earth and when Campbell came along and had his revelation.  Didn't Joesph Smith have a revelation also?  All I am trying to say  is, don't follow what a man says, follow the bible.  And that is not to say folks that are c.o.c are not christians,  I don't think any denomination has got it all right.  One more question:  Do you believe that all other Christian denominations came out of the Catholic church?  May God bless you on your journey to follow Him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2009 - 9:42PM #10
Wayne D
I certainly believe there were always people that following the bible teaching, from the time of Christ.  But- some of the vitally important teachings of the bible were corrupted by the Catholic church.  You seem to be a protestant person, so I am sure you will agree with at least that much.  When the great reformation happened, a lot of those bad teachings were introduced into the new (anti Catholic) church.  A perfect example of this is the teaching of baptism, which a multitute of scriptures show removes your sin, and gives you the gift of the Spirit.  Do I think non-CoC folks go the hell? That is not a question I am qualified to answer.  I personally don't want anyone to go there!  I think that would be extremely arrogant and judgemental of me to guess either way! I think if you follow gospel salvation, your label is not important.  That's the whole point of the the CoC...we are simply Christians..our brothers/sisters in the north are the disciples of Christ (they have music), and many of our churches are simply called, "Christian church."  We claim to be nothing but the Church of Jesus Christ-not to exclude ourselves as the only ones going to heaven-God is judge of all that, most of the time I'm just trying to make it through the day.  I personally, nor any CoC person I know, go by the teachings of Campbell-we just recognize that he started the restoration movement in this country.  And, to be honest, there are minor issues where I differ with the CoC, but I believe they have the majors correct according to the bible, not Campbell.  Fortunately I go to a very progressive CoC church where there is freedom to worship.  Do I think that all protestant denominations came out of the Catholic church?  Well-they are protestant..which means they protest the teachings of the church.  I believe the first protestants were the Lutherans and you can trace church history that the other ones came out of the Lutheran church..such as the Presbyterians, Methodist, etc.  Again, the call of the CoC is for unity..which is what the Lord prayed for when he said, "That they may be one Father, as we are one."  God bless you too!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook