Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Free Thought And Free Speech Under Assault
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 10:22PM #31
rmatth
Free speech only goes as far as those in power let it. Are you familiar with George Carlin's 7 dirty words? http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project … words.html
How about Larry Flynt's court fight with Jerry Falwell?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Ma … v._Falwell

From The SCOTUS' decision on Flynt: "At the heart of the First Amendment is the recognition of the fundamental importance of the free flow of ideas and opinions on matters of public interest and concern. The freedom to speak one's mind is not only an aspect of individual liberty -- and thus a good unto itself -- but also is essential to the common quest for truth and the vitality of society as a whole. We have therefore been particularly vigilant to ensure that individual expressions of ideas remain free from governmentally imposed sanctions."

I love this quote on free speech: The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion.  ~Henry Steele Commager. I think we're experiencing this in America now as a result of the right wing conservatives and the politically correct liberals. I read an article recently that said the movie Midnight Cowboy would never get made today because it is "too raw." So we've moved backwards a bit instead of forward with confidence in freedom.

It is probably no surprise that I prefer moderators here that are laissez-faire in their interpretations of the rules. I believe the confidence of the community in its ability to form opinions and engage in meaningful debate is increased with those moderators.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 10:37PM #32
RJMcElwain

maplewood wrote:

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp? … wmv&ak=nul

The above clip is a startling exchange between a Mideastern woman, a physician, I believe, on Al Jazeera, and some Muslim critics.

She is a secularist who takes Islam to task relative to its militant-ism and backwards mindset. The clip has been around for about a year, but I think it has much to say to us relative to this thread, from a Muslim/Mideast persepctive.

Hope this link works. It's worth it.

Mape,

That's an excellent video. I wish more Muslims would say, publically, what she is saying.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 10:22PM #33
rmatth
Free speech only goes as far as those in power let it. Are you familiar with George Carlin's 7 dirty words? http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project … words.html
How about Larry Flynt's court fight with Jerry Falwell?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Ma … v._Falwell

From The SCOTUS' decision on Flynt: "At the heart of the First Amendment is the recognition of the fundamental importance of the free flow of ideas and opinions on matters of public interest and concern. The freedom to speak one's mind is not only an aspect of individual liberty -- and thus a good unto itself -- but also is essential to the common quest for truth and the vitality of society as a whole. We have therefore been particularly vigilant to ensure that individual expressions of ideas remain free from governmentally imposed sanctions."

I love this quote on free speech: The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion.  ~Henry Steele Commager. I think we're experiencing this in America now as a result of the right wing conservatives and the politically correct liberals. I read an article recently that said the movie Midnight Cowboy would never get made today because it is "too raw." So we've moved backwards a bit instead of forward with confidence in freedom.

It is probably no surprise that I prefer moderators here that are laissez-faire in their interpretations of the rules. I believe the confidence of the community in its ability to form opinions and engage in meaningful debate is increased with those moderators.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 10:37PM #34
RJMcElwain

maplewood wrote:

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp? … wmv&ak=nul

The above clip is a startling exchange between a Mideastern woman, a physician, I believe, on Al Jazeera, and some Muslim critics.

She is a secularist who takes Islam to task relative to its militant-ism and backwards mindset. The clip has been around for about a year, but I think it has much to say to us relative to this thread, from a Muslim/Mideast persepctive.

Hope this link works. It's worth it.

Mape,

That's an excellent video. I wish more Muslims would say, publically, what she is saying.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 4:11PM #35
maplewood
Thanks, Bob.  I just wonder if the woman had to go into hiding after she made it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 4:13PM #36
maplewood
From what I heard in the tape, she was not blaming the religion so much as the religionist.

In essence, she was saying to her critics, "The problem is not so much Islam - the problem is YOU!"
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 11:44AM #37
Dutch777
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7535533.stm Intriguing account of free speech and association, of life itself, under seige in Nigeria.
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply