Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 3:34PM #11
tawonda
Since my Advent wreath components seem to be scattered between two houses, I think I'm going to start from scratch, albeit a bit late. I need to upgrade to the liturgical blue anyway. Our local dollar store has some nice little blue votive candleholders that might work.

Perhaps this isn't surprising for a geeky individual like me, but this year I'm getting more out of interactive online Advent calendars. For anyone interested, Google the phrase "online Advent calendar" and you can find some creative, thoughtful ones for grownups.

DP, BTW, helps me in keeping Advent because she finds these sorts of things, which are relatively new to her own spiritual practice, meaningful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2008 - 8:42AM #12
Eoconnorntep
We,ve got our Advent wreath set up and our reading one of the lectionary lessons every day that we eat dinner together.  (I.E., about half the time.)  That's it.  I was looking around the web for a nice, religiuos, kid typ Advent calendar for my son, but haven't found one.  Maybe I'll write the Magnifact on the inside of paper rings and do the tear off thing.. Or maybe not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2008 - 8:42AM #13
Eoconnorntep
We,ve got our Advent wreath set up and our reading one of the lectionary lessons every day that we eat dinner together.  (I.E., about half the time.)  That's it.  I was looking around the web for a nice, religiuos, kid typ Advent calendar for my son, but haven't found one.  Maybe I'll write the Magnifact on the inside of paper rings and do the tear off thing.. Or maybe not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 4:28PM #14
Swedish
I've recently fallen in love with the advent. In Sweden we tend to watch anything after November as "Christmas" so we should sing "On the 24:th day of Christmas my Supermarket sold to meee... 24 usless trinkets, 23 pointless cards..." etc.

But liturgically I tend to be severely fed up with the endless green trinity period so I tend to get this "Advent longing" (AdventslÃĪngtan) so I sneak away from the santas with bells etc to seek refuge in the solemn dignity of the advent mass.

My ex once had to drag me away from a Mall-santa where I tried to explain in a slightly too emphatic way that "Advent isn't Chrismas you Hollywood clone! It's a time to repent and prepare for the birth of our Lord!"
(My first girlfriend was a feminist punk vegan. She left me because I was "Too angry".)

But to end this post on a note that makes sense; To me advent is a welcome break from the hystera rather than a grim demand from the church.

Greetings from my personal little land of caffeine and sleep deprivation.
/S
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 9:45AM #15
TOMinAZ
swedish:
I didn't know that camel-hair girdles came in Santa colors!
(I'm having visions of John the Baptizer taking on mall Santas, wow).

I like when the altar colors change to Advent blue (it's usually blue instead of purple). The long green season makes one appreciative of the splash of red for Reformation, and Advent Blue.

So I got a big tree, and packed up the little fiber optic tree. My new one is pre-lit with 550 brilliant white lights. It's dazzling. So, of course, I proceeded to put on another 250 colored lights. On a 6 1/2 foot tree. In my small livingroom. The nice part is that I can keep hors d'oeuvres warm before my guests arrive by putting them under the tree.

I usually don't put the white lights on, just the pretty colored lights. It's much more gentle on the eyes. I'll reserve the full glare for my holiday guests.

Last night, I put up the nativity set I had been saving. It had been a gift to my mom from friends of hers years ago. After she passed, I didn't have the heart to put it under a tiny tree, and waited til I did the full sized one. So, I sat on the floor in front of the tree, unpacked and placed each ceramic piece. It's really a stunning set. Again, I had a spiritual moment. I turned off the room lights, and just sat on the floor facing the tree, watching the lights, admiring the nativity set under the tree. It was quiet. I thought back to the Christmas mornings I spent as a kid sitting on the floor tearing through gift wrapping. Except, it was just me. Just the tree. Just the nativity set. I looked at the ornaments, so many had a memory connected to it, or a funny story. Times past, with people now gone.

It's funny how Advent can bring you back in time, while making you look at the future. What came to mind was the Jesus' first advent was quiet, that silent night, but His next advent will be much louder. I guess His advents in our lives right now can be oh so quiet, or they can be noisy affairs.

Just a thought from last night.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook