Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome to the Oriental Orthodox Board
7 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 3:38PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Welcome Oriental Orthodox members. Please take a few moments to introduce yourself. If you can think of any discussio topics that would be of common interest to Oriental Orthodox members please feel free to post them on this board.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 9:11AM #2
beforHim
Hi.  I'm seeking to learn more about other denominations.  How would you say your denomination differs from mainline western Christianity?  Is that too broad?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2008 - 2:14PM #3
malanga
What a shame this board has no activity, as I would love to learn more about the Oriental Orthodox. *SIGH*
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 1:08AM #4
chirho33
Is "Oriental Orthodox" the same as "Eastern Orthodox" which to me is the faith of the Tsars and Russia? If so, I am very interested in learning more. It is a faith that is calling to me and I need some guidance. Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2008 - 9:40PM #5
SeraphimR
[QUOTE=chirho33;715251]Is "Oriental Orthodox" the same as "Eastern Orthodox" which to me is the faith of the Tsars and Russia? If so, I am very interested in learning more. It is a faith that is calling to me and I need some guidance. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

No.  Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxy are slightly different.  The Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches are not in communion with one another.  The Oriental Orthodox include the Coptic Church, the Armenian Church, the Ethiopian Church, and a few others.

The Eastern Orthodox include the Russian, Greek, Antiochian, and various Eastern European Churches.

The Oriental Orthodox Churches are non-Chalcedonian, that is they rejected the fourth Ecumenical Council at Chalcedon.  The difference is over a point of Christology, concerning the way in which Christ is both fully Man and fully God.

That being said, the spirituality and practice of the two Churches is very similar, and they hold many traditions in common.

You ought to visit the Eastern Orthodox board which has a bit more traffic than this one.  And it will be quite a bit easier to visit an Eastern Orthodox Church than an Oriental Orthodox one.
People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 2:42PM #6
chirho33
Very interesting! I believe the Coptic church is probably as close to the early church as one can get. It is an ancient Church with a committed community that suffers these days from tremendous oppression in Egypt. I am very interested now. Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook