Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 8:58AM #1
lily4God
Hi everybody! I was baptized into the Catholic Church when I was ten days old. I now have very strong Anabaptist beliefs, and I would like to someday be baptized as an adult as Jesus himself was/taught. How would I do this if there are no Anabaptist churches around here? Would a baptism through another church count or should I wait until I can someday become baptized through an Anabaptist church? (what I mean is....if I become baptized in a Baptist church, for example, and then finally come across an Anabaptist community, will I have to be rebaptized *again* in order to fellowship as a full Anabaptist?)

I am also curious about something else. Are Anabaptists baptized "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", or "in Jesus' name"? *Maybe* this shouldn't be of importance....but it is to me. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
~Lily~
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 9:18AM #2
lily4God
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that being baptized without a minister would "count", so to speak. Thank you for leading me to Matthew 28. I knew it was in there somewhere, but I wasn't sure where exactly. It says to baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit/Ghost, which is what I would prefer anyway....
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 1:39PM #3
PoppyDadswell
you sound very confused, to explain things- an adult baptism in anopther church is accepted upon joining an anabaptist church.however if baptized as a child the church would probably rebaptize you.a baptisim in the water by a friend may not be accepted.if i were you i would go to www.beachyam.org- a site run by a  beachy amish mennonite.that man has all the links to the anabaptist churches in america and beyond.i would also join the yahoo group- amish-and-mennonite.it has amish and mennonite members along with others and you would get the answer you need. as anabapatist churches are democratic about minor issues but united over major issues, each church has a slightly different take on baptism.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook