Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
9 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 11:38PM #1
catholiclady
Is it really important to have Blessed salt in a catholic home? I have never heard of this but a friend of mine said all GOOD catholic homes have Blessed salt in them. That it is used for cooking and blessing the home ect
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 7:30AM #2
Shaner

catholiclady wrote:

Is it really important to have Blessed salt in a catholic home? I have never heard of this but a friend of mine said all GOOD catholic homes have Blessed salt in them. That it is used for cooking and blessing the home ect

Blessed salt?  No, but it wouldn't hurt to have some Holy Water in the home. 

I don't know of one single Catholic home that has blessed salt in it,

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 2:14PM #3
WaveringCC

catholiclady wrote:

I've never before heard of "blessed salt."  If you learn more, let us know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 10:12PM #4
catholiclady
WaveringCC,
Below is what I found on  the internet on blessed salt. It is bfrom a web site called fisheater.com.

[QUOTE=WaveringCC;748692]I've never before heard of "blessed salt."  If you learn more, let us know.[/QUOTE]

Salt, with its preservative properties, had always been treasured as precious 1 in the ancient world, and seen as a symbol of incorruption and wisdom. It's use was commanded by God --

Leviticus 2:13-14
    Whatsoever sacrifice thou offerest, thou shalt season it with salt, neither shalt thou take away the salt of the covenant of thy God from thy sacrifice. In all thy oblations thou shalt offer salt. But if thou offer a gift of the firstfruits of thy corn to the Lord, of the ears

-- and it was seen by God, as recorded by Moses, to act as a symbol for that which can't corrupt:

Numbers 18:19
    All the firstfruits of the sanctuary which the children of Israel offer to the Lord, I have given to thee and to thy sons and daughters, by a perpetual ordinance. It is a covenant of salt for ever before the Lord, to thee and to thy sons.

Its first recorded sacramental use was by Eliseus (Elisha) to restore waters of a well:

4 Kings 2:19-22
    And the men of the city, said to Eliseus . Behold the situation of this city is very good, as thou, my lord, seest: but the waters are very bad, and the ground barren. And he said: Bring me a new vessel, and put salt into it. And when they had brought it, He went out to the spring of the waters, and cast the salt into it, and said: Thus saith the Lord: I have healed these waters, and there shall be no more in them death or barrenness. And the waters were healed unto this day, according to the word of Eliseus, which he spoke."

And, of course, there is Our Lord's calling His people "salt of the earth" and warning of salt that loses its savor (Matthew 5:13, Mark 9, Luke 14), and there is St. Paul's warning in Colossians 4:6 to "Let your speech be always in grace seasoned with salt: that you may know how you ought to answer every man."

Salt is now used sacramentally in two main ways in the Church.

First, in Baptisms: like the baptismal waters, salt is blessed and exorcised. Then it is put on the tongue of the catechumen during the Baptismal Rite.

Second, for use in the preparation of Holy Water and for the use of the faithful: regular salt is exorcised and blessed and is used in the preparation of Holy Water. It is also given to the faithful for their everyday use -- e.g., for use in cooking; for sprinkling around rooms, doorways and yards, to protect against evil, etc.

Because of its exorcism and blessing, it is a powerful sacramental in keeping away demons. To obtain blessed salt, just take ordinary salt to your priest and ask him to bless it.

Note: salt -- usually not blessed -- is also used to purify the priest's fingers after Unction.

Footnotes:
1 Salt was considered so valuable that Roman soldiers were paid, at least in part, by salt, or "sal" in Latin. This is the root of our word "salary."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2008 - 6:35PM #5
johnnyjoe
Blessed salt is a powerful sacramental, and we keep a couple of pounds in the house at all times.

We had 6 pounds blessed earlier this summer, and use it as ordinary table salt and for cooking.

My daughter took a pound to college, and we sprinkled it throughout her dormitory room when she arrived.

It is an old, old tradition that has been lost to many modern Catholics.....
"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass,
think what God could do with a complete ass."
St. John Vianney
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 2:03AM #6
catholiclady
Why sprinkle it in your daughters dorm room? Will any priest bless salt if it is an old tradition?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 2:03AM #7
catholiclady
Why sprinkle it in your daughters dorm room? Will any priest bless salt if it is an old tradition?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2008 - 6:35PM #8
johnnyjoe
Blessed salt has an "exorcism" effect.  It is not a talisman or force field, but there are many reports of satan's minions being repelled by Blessed Salt.

Any priest can bless salt, the same way he blesses water. 

Did you know that both forms of blessing, for that matter all forms of blessing objects are in essence exorcism prayers?
"If Samson could slay 1000 Philistines with only the jawbone of an ass,
think what God could do with a complete ass."
St. John Vianney
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2008 - 12:46AM #9
catholiclady
[QUOTE=johnnyjoe;752954]Blessed salt has an "exorcism" effect.  It is not a talisman or force field, but there are many reports of satan's minions being repelled by Blessed Salt.

Any priest can bless salt, the same way he blesses water. 

Did you know that both forms of blessing, for that matter all forms of blessing objects are in essence exorcism prayers?[/QUOTE]

No I did not. Is it really safe then to bless ones own home? Back when I was in CCD classes they never spoke of anything important accept when we made our First Communion and then not again until my Confirmation and after that nothing. I remember some things from growing up but do not remember why my mother did them. I took an RCIA class but very little was explained even there. It was more like a Social gathering than a religion class.

Do you know of any good books on Catholic customs,traditions or anything like that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 4:04PM #10
GodsLostOne
I knew that salt would repel spirits and such, but have never heard this about blessed salt.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook