Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 9:22AM #11
RJMcElwain

Brobrooz1 wrote:

I'm back. left the TEC about five years ago. Attended and joined Anglican (ACiA), and Lutheran (both LCMS & ELCA) over a four year period, and came back to EC about a year ago. The issues (especially,one main issue)that led me to leave are still there, but I learned that others don't seem to deal with them well either. I'm pretty conservative in my theology, but after the four year 'journey', I'd rather be a conservative among liberals; than a moderate (all things being relative) among conservatives.

You're right. It must be a good place to hang out because, in my congregation, I occasionally/frequently feel like a liberal among conservatives. But we still have just one rail.:)

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 1:28PM #12
Brobrooz1
[QUOTE=RJMcElwain;829337]You're right. It must be a good place to hang out because, in my congregation, I occasionally/frequently feel like a liberal among conservatives. But we still have just one rail.:)[/QUOTE]

Good Morning RJ-  Here is the problem I had being the 'moderate' among conservatives...
This is my experience:
The  ACiA Anglican folks didn't seem to understand where I was at in terms of 'the issue'. Basically their  premise was that 'We're not them (ECUSA), and all the issues stem from them using that new prayerbook and ordaining women. When discussing various things with thier clergy, one of them said ,'I wish you hadn't asked me that (about ordaining women)', then he really couldn't give me a good answer...
In the LCMS, there was zero tolaration for expressions that were other than the comapny line. Their answer for everything was to quit it, believe us, repent, and do it no more...  If a subject, or opinion was outside the box, the pastor wasn't even able to discuss it!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 2:52PM #13
RJMcElwain

Brobrooz1 wrote:

Good Morning RJ- Here is the problem I had being the 'moderate' among conservatives...
This is my experience:
The ACiA Anglican folks didn't seem to understand where I was at in terms of 'the issue'. Basically their premise was that 'We're not them (ECUSA), and all the issues stem from them using that new prayerbook and ordaining women. When discussing various things with thier clergy, one of them said ,'I wish you hadn't asked me that (about ordaining women)', then he really couldn't give me a good answer...
In the LCMS, there was zero tolaration for expressions that were other than the comapny line. Their answer for everything was to quit it, believe us, repent, and do it no more... If a subject, or opinion was outside the box, the pastor wasn't even able to discuss it!

Sounds familiar.:)  In my congregation, we have three priests and various and sundry Deacons. One of the priests is a woman. A number of my friends have a real problem with her. However, if you try to pin them down as to, specifically, why they don't like her, they start looking around the room as if looking for an escape route.:) A number of them seem to be less bothered by gay clergy.

That's the far right. On the far left, we also have a full assortment of kooks and nuts.:D Then, there are the rest of us.:eek:

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook