Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Liturgy of the hours
10 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 9:11PM #41
Barzillai
Everett,

I do not have the 4 volume Roman Beviary, but I know that it is very popular. I use "Benedictine Daily Prayer." 

What does everyone else use?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 6:30AM #42
Mysty101
Hi Adam,

And welcome to this forum.  I see that you are a young convert. It is wonderful to see such Faith and perservence---it couldn't have been easy.

Whatever hours you are able to pray is pleasing to God.

God bless you in your journey.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 6:31AM #43
Mysty101
Hi John,

I use the 1 volume Christian Prayer, and supplement  with the office readings on-line.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 2:55AM #44
Mysty101
Hi Altar Server,

And welcome to the forum. 

Yes, I am also able to pray more in the summer.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 6:44PM #45
St.Gemma'sFriend
Have you tried the Divine Office of the Virgin Mary (or is it the little office if the Virgin Mary)?  It has TONS of short little prayers for each day and each part of the day.  I think God would prefer just a quiet conversation anyway.  Oh, and welcome home!  Mum and I converted a few years ago and it's wonderful being a new catholic.  Whenever someone is descerning a vocation the nuns always say to keep working because work is prayer in itself.  That's the truth!

God bless you in your life-long conversion!
Hugs, prayers and love,
Your sister in Christ,
Tay
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 5:33AM #46
Mysty101
Hi Tay,

Welcome to this forum, and more importantly to the Catholic Faith.

I am a cradle Catholic, and often wonder how it would be to "find" the church after the age of reason.

I am not familiar with the Office of the Blessed Mother.  Is it a single book?

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 10:28PM #47
Barzillai
I watch this thread regularly and I thought I would write this post to see if there are any other people who are interested in the Liturgy of the Hours, also called the Divine Office (link is to an example for those who may not know what it is).

+Peace

John
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 1:41PM #48
Mysty101
Hi John,

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately----I need knee surgery for a torn maniscus, had some female problems, and a nasty case of poison ivy, plus I work part time, and babysit a bit with my grandchildren-- an infant & a three yo. 

I try to pray the hours, but cannot get to it every time.  I pray morning prayer much more often than the other hours.  Our local cable prayer channel prays the lauds at 9:00am, & vespers at 6:00 pm.  I do prefer to pray in community.  Also one local parish prays the psalms of morning prayer at the beginning of the 9:00 am Mass.

How are you?

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2008 - 11:45AM #49
Barzillai
Misty,

Wow, you do have a full schedule. I know how other things seem to replace time we would prefer to spend praying the liturgy of the hours — but we just do the best we can.

I have had a wonderful summer and have been studying and thinking about how the liturgy of the hours affects/relates to/helps our lives. In fact, that was one of the reasons I check this forum — to see what BeliefNet members might be saying about their life in the liturgy of the hours.

I use the book Benedictine Daily Prayer with some additional card-stock tabs I made — today I am going to make some new ones.:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:50PM #50
Barzillai
Thanks to a friend’s reminder, I wanted to make sure you know about the "Major Religious Orders of Men" a new EWTN series by Father Charles Connor. The first episode was on the history of early Eastern Monasticism, it aired this week. Those interested in the LOH often like monastic history as well -- hence this post.

The next times for the show on the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) are:

US Eastern Time:

Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:30 pm
Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 at 4:00 am
Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2009 at 11:30 pm
Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2009 at 4:00 am

The second episode will be a continuation of the history of monasticism in the East and its effect on the development of monasticism in the West.

I liked the first episode. The show gave a fine introduction to the history of monasticism.

I liked Father Connor’s statements about the ascetic and consecrated life being a part of the Church from the first century. Connor said that what was new at the beginning of the fourth century was not the monastic life, but the adaptation of the monastic life to the world in which the Christians were then living when the persecutions ended (from about 305 to 313 AD). The monks and hermits were trying to preserve intact the ideal of the Christian life as it had been lived from the very beginning.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook