Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Liturgy of the hours
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 2:14PM #1
pio_child
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Sienna"] I was watching a rebroadcast of The Journey Home on EWTN last evening. They were talking about praying the Liturgy of the Hours. How much it changed his life. He also mentioned there was a 1 book volume. When I hear of the Liturgy of the Hours I think of regular and long prayers. I am a working man, that would love a regular prayer life, but have few hours in a day. Is this possible?[/COLOR][/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 2:34PM #2
Mysty101
Hi Pio,

Welcome to the Cloisters.

And thank you for bringing this up....I do want to have a thread on the hours in this forum.  I did post the "O Antiphons" (which are a part of evening prayer the last week in Advent), and was intending to bring up the hours this week.

The one volume book is [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]"Christian Prayer"[/COLOR]   which has morning & evening prayer, and some of the other hours.  You are under no obligation to pray them all, so whatever you can pray is a great start, and it is a wonderful benefit to you.

Most of the hours contain psalms, a reading, and some intercessions.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]------> Hours on-line[/COLOR]

We are here if you want to ask any questions or discuss the hours.

Suz
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 5:46PM #3
pio_child
[COLOR="Sienna"]Thanks for your quick response.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 6:33PM #4
Mysty101
You are very welcome.

There is also "Shorter Christian Prayer"  which is just morning & evening prayer.  This is what many lay people use to pray the hours.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2008 - 4:10AM #5
Mysty101
Hi again,

I have been trying to pray the hours more during Lent.  This is such a wonderful way to deepen our prayer life, and we are shown which scriptures help our medition on this holy season.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2008 - 7:50AM #6
Barzillai
It has been over two years it seems since I last posted anywhere on Beliefnet, and I was very pleased to return and see this wonderful forum -- Catholic Cloisters.   The thread on the Liturgy of Hours (LOH) is a key interest of mine and I hope this thread causes more interest and discussion in this ancient practice. 

I use the Universalis web site on my handheld devise when I am away from the office or home and want to pray the LOH. I especially like the calendar they have.

John
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 12:45PM #7
brjohnbc
Hey Pio,

I used to think that I had such a busy life that I didn't have time to pray, however, as others have suggested, you can adapt the LOH to modern day life.  You have to remember that the LOH and others like it, were originally intended for life in the monastic communities not the home and work of the secular life.  I'm sure if you checked out your local religious book store that you would find many books on "home prayers."

I know that working people find it difficult to set aside time, but could I be so bold as to make a couple of suggestions?  You and I are friends so I know you will take it in the spirit intended.

Get out of bed a little earlier and pray ... you'll be pleasantly surprised how much of a difference this one little jesture will make in your day.   Pray while driving your car (but keep your eyes on the road.)  During lunch break ... some people have an hour, some 1/2 hour.  If you have the longer version of lunch .. take 15 minutes to pray ... shorter version ... pray while eating!  God doesn't care ... just pray.  Evening ... (and you know what's coming) a little less time with EWTN and some time in prayer .. LOL.

It has been my personal experience that no matter how busy one's life is .. there is always time for prayer if you only look for it.

Blessings
Br. John

P.S.   EWTN is my favourite channel and sometimes I just can't tear myself away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 8:28AM #8
Mysty101
[QUOTE=Barzillai;414116]It has been over two years it seems since I last posted anywhere on Beliefnet, and I was very pleased to return and see this wonderful forum -- Catholic Cloisters.   The thread on the Liturgy of Hours (LOH) is a key interest of mine and I hope this thread causes more interest and discussion in this ancient practice. 

John[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

...and welcome to our quiet little prayer place.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner---My daughter just gave birth to her second baby last week, and mommy hen has been quite busy.

I love to pray the hours in community.  My parish only does Tenebrae during the Triduum, but another parish nearby prays the psalms at 9:00am Mass.

[QUOTE]I use the Universalis web site on my handheld devise when I am away from the office or home and want to pray the LOH. I especially like the calendar they have.[/QUOTE]

I usually use Christian Prayer for the morning & evening hours, and the psalms of the office, and universalis for the readings of the office.  Yes, the calendar is great. 

Again welcome.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 8:31AM #9
Mysty101
Hi Br John,

Yes, prayer is so important, and so helpful to us.

A friend spoke of a conversation with a vocations director, who had the sad job of interviewing priests and seminarians who were leaving. 

One question was "when did you stop praying the hours?"

No one ever responded that they hadn't stopped.

SuZ
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 11:33AM #10
brjohnbc
Good morning,

I remember well when I first started praying the hours.  I remember thinking ... oh heaven's, this is going to be so difficult!  As time went on and I settled into the rhythm of the monastic tradition of praying the hours it became much easier.  Not only did it become much easier, it became the force behind my daily routine.  When I have to miss an office for one reason or another the day just doesn't feel complete.  I remember one time somebody giving me this little saying ... I still don't know where it came from ... "To be a person of prayer, you must first become prayer."  I didn't quite know what to make of it at the time, and I continue to reflect on it often, but our lives should be a prayer and reflect the Love of God within us!  Everything we say and do should be a prayer as unto the Lord.

In the Benedictine Ethos we read:  "Prayer is not the only thing worth doing in this world, but without prayer, nothing else is done as well nor are things kept in proper perspective."  That is something we should all reflect on.  We are nothing without prayer.

Blessings
Br. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook