Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 8:51PM #1
abcdef
what are the beliefs of this church?   Does it follow both Methodist and Episcopal docturns and why?  Does the church follow an African theme.  I'm curious because there is only one such church in my city and I always wondered about the name.    thanks...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 9:00AM #2
rollinsdad
The name is kind of misleading. The Methodist denominations we have today grew out of the Anglican/Episcopal church. Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was an Anglican. He never intended to leave the Anglican church, only wanted to reform it. After time though the congregations following his teachings did leave the established Anglica/Episcopal churches and became known as Methodist Episcopals, because they followed Wesley's beliefs of Methodism. After the Civil War, freed slaves who had been owned by Methodist Episcopals started their own congregations, thus being called African Methodist Episcopals. Over the years most Methodist Episcopals formed denominations (the United Methodist Church the largest today) and most dropped the "Episcopal" part of their name. However, the Africam Methodist Episcopal church never did drop the "Episcopal" part of their name as most of the others did. As a side note, if you ever see a Wesleyan Church, this denomination was actually started my Methodists who felt the Methodist Church had strayed to far from Wesley's teachings. So basically you have the Anglicans who left The Roman Catholic Church during the reformation, the "Methodist" Episcopals who left the Anglican/Episcopal church, The African Methodist Episcopals who had to start their own churches because they could not worship with whites, and then the Wesleyans who left the Methodists. Did I confuse you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 10:10AM #3
Janle
As a member of one of the many african methodist episcopal churches in the world. I wish to enlighten some about its beliefs; yes this church broke away from the methodist episcopal church and the african part is because we were africans who started it back in 1787. we have beliefs as in the apostles creed or the affirmation of faith 'i believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ his only son ou Lord who was conceived by the holy spirit, born of the virgin mary, suffered under pontius pilate was crucified dead and buried, the third day he arose from the dead;he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God theFathe Almighty,, from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Church Universal, the communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. A--Men. That is a mouth ful. but the AME church is open to all races and nationalities. It has colleges and universities that it supports and missions to help the needy, sick, homeless and the unsaved. The church is growing and has programs for the youth as well as adults. We are open to criticism and response; Bible based on the old and new testament; the 25 articles of religion and just love for Jesus Christ.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook