Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View I'd really like to know your beliefs
7 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 12:24AM #11
theduddha
[QUOTE=Candlemass;272829]"There is one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus."

How do you answer a Protestant who protests to the priestly role in the Church?[/QUOTE]

The best way I defend our churches teachings of priests is tell the protestants to read early church history. The earliest christians had bishops and priests.(they were called by different names then). Look at this website link to read from a guy, who made a website that explains catholic teaching in a way that helps it make better sense.

http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/pries … father.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 10:27AM #12
ElCid22
[QUOTE=angeluv1107;211199]Hi! I don't know much about Catholocism. I have a friend who went to Catholic School and another friend who IS Catholic. Still I have questions. Here they are:
Do you believe that Mary (Jesus' mother) was perfect? Did she have children after Jesus?
Also here is a deep one that some people will be hesitant to answer but I would really like to know: what are your views on marriage? homosexuality? divorce? and abortion?
I orginally posted this thread on the discussion board and they directed me to this board. I also got a comment asking me if I wanted to know if I wanted their personal beliefs. Are they not one in the same? I say this because my personal beliefs and those of my religion are intertwined. Either way ... please reply to this post.[/QUOTE]

I'm a liberal Catholic. I love the Church and believe most of what it teaches, but downplay its authoritarianism, given my understanding of the plight of Man. I view Church teachings as wonderful ideals, not necessarily social norms that absolutely must be obeyed. Instead, they should be sought to be achieved, in the daily struggles of everyone who seeks holiness, to the best of one's ability. When we say that Church teachings must be obeyed, at all costs, in each and every case, regardless of the subjective conditions of the individual's life, we surrender to legalism, which Jesus stood against. We also make our faith an impossible, unliveable belief system, which in the end will demoralize the believer, and instill within him a profound inferiority complex. Not good. That wasn't what Jesus was all about, IMO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 12:44PM #13
Smurfette2002
[QUOTE=cove52;211364]Hi Angel and welcome,

Here is a link to web-site where you may find answers to some of your questions. Hope this helps:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/a/faq-cc.html[/QUOTE]

That is a very helpful page Cove!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 8:01PM #14
Invictius
I have a friend who is Christian and he told me that Catholics are allowed to do anything and they beleive that Mother Mary Is a God. Is this true? He also stated that many Catholics are converting to Christian and that there number are now decreasing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 1:25AM #15
rjak134
[QUOTE=Invictius;559784]I have a friend who is Christian and he told me that Catholics are allowed to do anything and they beleive that Mother Mary Is a God. Is this true? He also stated that many Catholics are converting to Christian and that there number are now decreasing.[/QUOTE]

You friend is regrettably wildly misinformed.  I hardly even know where to begin!

First of all, Catholic moral theology is very well-developed & has been thoroughly worked over throughout our 2,000 year history.  Indeed, it is difficult to imagine any moral question on which there isn't at least some guidance given us by the Church.  We certainly do not "do whatever we want."  Now, it is true, that unfortunately not all Catholics are obedient to the moral law (indeed, all of us, like everyone, fail in some ways).

As far as the Blessed Virgin Mary goes, we absolutely do not consider her a goddess, or anything of the sort.  There is only one God, which is the Blessed Trinity, Father, Son, & Holy Spirit.  The Blessed Virgin is only human.  We do honor her, due to her unique role in the Incarnation, as Theotokos (Greek for God-bearer, that is, Mother of God).  We also ask her intercession.  Just as I might ask a friend of mine to pray for me, I can also ask her to pray for me.

To the last point of your friend, that many Catholics are becoming Christians, that's the closest thing in here to being true.  There are parts of the world where certain brands of Christianity, esp. Pentecostal & Evangelical strains, are cutting somewhat into Catholic numbers, although there are also converts to Catholicism & it remains a very large global force.  The thing I really want to emphasize, though, is the fact saying "Catholics are becoming Christians" is rather like saying "Ford Mustangs are becoming cars."  Catholics are Christians, indeed, we're the oldest form (Orthodox Christians, of course, will disagree!) of Christianity.  We believe in Jesus Christ as God's only Son, who suffered, died, & rose again for the salvation of the world.

I'm guessing your friend has been reading some anti-Catholic literature.  There's a lot of it out there, esp. on the Internet.  It should not be trusted, though.  If you have any more questions about the Catholic faith and would like reliable answers from Catholics, don't hesitate to ask - we'll be glad to help - welcome to our boards! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 2:31PM #16
Smurfette2002
Thanks for dispelling those rumors rjak 134! We welcome anyone here who have questions about Catholicism and are respectful of others. Invictius, please looks at some of the links others have offered to answer some more questions. WQe love all our brothers and sisters in Christ. For quirky video lessons on some questions about Catholicism, also look at http://thatcatholicshow.sqpn.com/
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 2:31PM #17
Smurfette2002
Thanks for dispelling those rumors rjak 134! We welcome anyone here who have questions about Catholicism and are respectful of others. Invictius, please looks at some of the links others have offered to answer some more questions. WQe love all our brothers and sisters in Christ. For quirky video lessons on some questions about Catholicism, also look at http://thatcatholicshow.sqpn.com/
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook