More dumbness

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080108/20080108005587.html?.v=2
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 12:15AM #2
ProfitOfGod
What's dumb about it?

I cannot BELIEVE that Romney is running as a (pro-Bush) Republican.

That platform is completely anti-family...and 'family' something that *every* Mormon I've ever met has considered a top priority.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 3:09AM #3
JCOverseas
I know nothing about who Mike Moody is or what his agenda may/may not be, but I do know military credentials and experience. And when I read in his bio that:
"As a U. S. Army Captain, Mike Moody is a twice-decorated veteran of Vietnam who has earned the coveted Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.
In his second tour in Vietnam, Captain Moody served as briefing officer for his unit's commanders, and monitored the Paris Peace Talks on a daily basis to keep his commanders in the loop on those activities...",
he's pretty much lost all credibility with me. There is a big difference between getting a Bronze Star for simply being in a high-profile position (no combat or command roles are mentioned) and, for example, an act of valor. A very interesting resume...and the first one I have seen that is over 50% made up of repudiations of various ethical/legal charges against the resume's owner. And are there really fraternities--the kind that include "brothers", which I tend to associate with drunken and pampered boy-children--at BYU?
I for one won't be running out and buying this book.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 3:12AM #4
moksha8088
So Mitt's ex-mormon college roommate has self published his own book and is trying to hawk it over the Internet?  Will this one end up on the shelves of some bible-belt dollar store a year from now?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 1:41PM #5
withwonderingawe
The Church has never hidden its doctrines, gees that's dumb!
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 2:15PM #6
Gaia-j
[QUOTE=withwonderingawe;200747]The Church has never hidden its doctrines, gees that's dumb!
[/QUOTE]

GAIA:

Riiiiiight -  -   Why, they've been COMPLETELY OPEN about such things as Adam-God,
the Temple "Oath of Vengeance", the Danites,  etc --  LOL --
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 2:20PM #7
Gaia-j
[QUOTE=ProfitOfGod;199668]What's dumb about it?

I cannot BELIEVE that Romney is running as a (pro-Bush) Republican.

That platform is completely anti-family...and 'family' something that *every* Mormon I've ever met has considered a top priority.
[/QUOTE]

GAIA:

Oh, i think that's a function of the way the Religious (Conservative) Right  has co-opted the word / concept "Family"  for their own  use . . . . It's only particular kind   of "family" that they champion --
Just as they have co-opted the words, "Pro-Life" ,--  They're only "pro" a certain KIND of "life" --
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 4:01PM #8
withwonderingawe
And we're suppose to teach doctrines that aren't?
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 8:05PM #9
bytebear
I read the article in question, and it does have some good points.  We are a peculiar people, but when you are killed and driven from your home, you tend to diminish those peculiarities.  But I also agree with WWA, the church never hides its doctrines, or it's past (or at least didn't until the Hoffman fiasco).  I am so bewildered by people who say we are covering up weird doctrines like "Adam-God" when asked where they found reference to that particular belief?  Well, in the LDS published Journal of DIscourses.  Believe me, if we wanted to hide our past, we are doing a really bad job of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2008 - 2:19PM #10
Gaia-j
[QUOTE=bytebear;201589]I read the article in question, and it does have some good points.  We are a peculiar people, but when you are killed and driven from your home, you tend to diminish those peculiarities.  But I also agree with WWA, the church never hides its doctrines, or it's past (or at least didn't until the Hoffman fiasco).  I am so bewildered by people who say we are covering up weird doctrines like "Adam-God" when asked where they found reference to that particular belief?  Well, in the LDS published Journal of DIscourses.  Believe me, if we wanted to hide our past, we are doing a really bad job of it.
[/QUOTE]

GAIA:

Hi Bytebear --

I doubt that anybody wants to get into a discussion on A-G, and it's NOT my intention to do so here --

But Byte, the Church HAS DEFINITELY tried to misrepresent and hide the truth on that Doctrine -- they've done everything from denied it was ever said, to misrepresent who, when, where, by whom, how often and for how long it was  taught , to try to portray it i as heresy or merely an "Anti-Mormon" LIE ......

For example:

Apostle Bruce R McCOnkie said it was --
"..... Cultists and other enemies of the restored truth, for their own peculiar purposes, sometimes try to make it appear that Latter-day Saints worship Adam as their Father in heaven.    In support of their false assumptions, they quote such statements as that of President Brigham Young to the effect that Adam is our father and our god and the only god with whom we have to do. This statement and others of a similar nature, is perfectly consistent and rational, when viewed in full gospel perspective and understood in the light of  the revelations relative to the patriarchal chain binding exalted beings together...
     There is no mystery about this doctrine except that which persons ignorant of the great principles of exaltation and unfriendly to the cause of righteousness have attempted to  make."

(Apostle Bruce R McConkie, "Mormon Doctrine", pp. 18-19)

Apostle and then President Joseph Fielding Smith:
  " President Brigham Young did not believe and did not teach,that Jesus Christ was begotten by Adam."
(Joseph Fielding   Smith, 1972-73 Melchizedek Priesthood Manual, pp. 20-22)

McConkie:
"This so-called Adam-God theory is false and contrary to all the body of revealed truth. It negates the essential
     features of the whole plan of salvation; belittles God, and makes mockery of the atonement of his Son, and postulates the utterly absurd notion that Christ, his Son, had to work out an atoning sacrifice which would bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of God the Father..."

(Bruce R. McConkie, "Criticism Of Factions")

Joseph Fielding Smith:
"... Surely we must give President Brigham Young credit for at least ordinary intelligence, and in stating this I
placed it mildly. If he meant to convey the thought that the character who was in the Garden of Eden, and "who is our Father in Heaven," was Adam, then it would mean that this expression was in conflict with all else that he
taught concerning God the Father, and I am bold to say that President Brigham Young was not inconsistent in his
teaching of this doctrine."

(Joseph Fielding Smith, "Answers to Gospel Questions"  5:121)

President Spencer Kimball:
" We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine." 

Apostle Bruce R. McConkie:
"The devil keeps this heresy alive as a means of obtaining converts to cultism. It is contrary to the whole plan of salvation set forth in the scriptures."
(Bruce R. McConkie, The Seven Deadly Heresies, BYU cassette tape)

Apostle Mark E. Petersen:
"Ridiculous! Adam was neither God, nor the Only Begotten Son of God. He was a child of God in the spirit as we all are."
     (November 1980 Ensign, pp. 16-18)

President Spencer W Kimball:
"We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged  to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine." 
(November 1976 Ensign, p. 77)

Now, For a very complete and in-depth discussion on the fact that it certainly   WAS taught as a doctrine of the Church , by NOT just Brigham Young, but nearly ALL the General Authorities, both here and abroad, both over the pulpit and  in official publications of the Church (including what we would refer to as "Conference Addresses") , as well as in the Temple, and for a period of  OVER 25-35 YEARS -- and that some members were brought before High Council COURTS for REFUSING to accept it --

Please see the following links:

- Adam Our God:
http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message … ionID=5346

- Changing LDS Doctrines: Adam-God
http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message … nID=390762

Blessings --
~Gaia
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing