Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How Long Ago Did Adam and Eve Live?
9 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 9:38PM #1
Mareczku
According to the Catholic Church approximately how long ago did Adam and Eve live?  Does the Church teach it was about 6,000 - 8,000 years ago?   There is a genealogy in the Bible and it traces all the way back to Adam.  Has it been figured out approximately how long ago this was?  I think many Bible based protestant religions believe that Adam and Eve lived that long ago.  Does the Catholic Church agree with them on this?

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 9:37AM #2
Shaner

Mareczku wrote:

According to the Catholic Church approximately how long ago did Adam and Eve live? Does the Church teach it was about 6,000 - 8,000 years ago? There is a genealogy in the Bible and it traces all the way back to Adam. Has it been figured out approximately how long ago this was? I think many Bible based protestant religions believe that Adam and Eve lived that long ago. Does the Catholic Church agree with them on this?

Peace - Mareczku

Hi Mark,

The Church doesn't take the story of Adam and Eve as literal as some of our Christian Brethren, its considered more of an allegorical story, ilustrating the fall of man....which of course we do believe in, hence Original Sin. 

We believe in the Theory of Evolution and that the world is of course far more older than 6,000 - 8,000 years old.  Science has proven this.  Some of the more Fundamental Christian faiths negate the Science and do believe the World is that young.

So we believe that sometime during the evolution of man, he turned his back on God and we incurred the stain of Original Sin, that Baptism removes. 

An interesting sidenote:  millions of years ago, out of the 'primordial soup' so to speak, Scientists discovered partial remains of a woman, whom they nicknamed 'Eve' in Africa and believe her mitochondrial DNA is present to some extent, in all of us! 

The Vatican as well, has its own Astronomer in residence.  As the late great JPII said, "We have nothing to fear from science."  God is of course the Master Designer of His beautiful Universe! 

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 9:37AM #3
Shaner

Mareczku wrote:

According to the Catholic Church approximately how long ago did Adam and Eve live? Does the Church teach it was about 6,000 - 8,000 years ago? There is a genealogy in the Bible and it traces all the way back to Adam. Has it been figured out approximately how long ago this was? I think many Bible based protestant religions believe that Adam and Eve lived that long ago. Does the Catholic Church agree with them on this?

Peace - Mareczku

Hi Mark,

The Church doesn't take the story of Adam and Eve as literal as some of our Christian Brethren, its considered more of an allegorical story, ilustrating the fall of man....which of course we do believe in, hence Original Sin. 

We believe in the Theory of Evolution and that the world is of course far more older than 6,000 - 8,000 years old.  Science has proven this.  Some of the more Fundamental Christian faiths negate the Science and do believe the World is that young.

So we believe that sometime during the evolution of man, he turned his back on God and we incurred the stain of Original Sin, that Baptism removes. 

An interesting sidenote:  millions of years ago, out of the 'primordial soup' so to speak, Scientists discovered partial remains of a woman, whom they nicknamed 'Eve' in Africa and believe her mitochondrial DNA is present to some extent, in all of us! 

The Vatican as well, has its own Astronomer in residence.  As the late great JPII said, "We have nothing to fear from science."  God is of course the Master Designer of His beautiful Universe! 

Peace,
Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 11:00PM #4
Mareczku
Does this make sense?  There are two creation stories in the Bible.  I think Adam and Eve probably lived 6000 to 8000 years ago.  The geneology traced down from them.  They are the father and mother of the Jewish people.  However, archeology tells us that there were people in existence before that.  When Cain left he went to another place and married and had children.  So this created another line.  So I think that Adam and Eve were historical people whose story was handed down for many centuries before it was written down.

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 2:12PM #5
WaveringCC

Mareczku wrote:

Does this make sense? There are two creation stories in the Bible. I think Adam and Eve probably lived 6000 to 8000 years ago. The geneology traced down from them. They are the father and mother of the Jewish people. However, archeology tells us that there were people in existence before that. When Cain left he went to another place and married and had children. So this created another line. So I think that Adam and Eve were historical people whose story was handed down for many centuries before it was written down.

Peace - Mareczku

Mark, Sandy's post is correct.  The church does not teach the story of Adam and Eve as literal truth, just as it does not teach that the earth and the universe were created in six 24 hour days.  Much of the bible is allegory and metaphor, intended to teach truth using understandable human imagery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 2:12PM #6
WaveringCC

Mareczku wrote:

Does this make sense? There are two creation stories in the Bible. I think Adam and Eve probably lived 6000 to 8000 years ago. The geneology traced down from them. They are the father and mother of the Jewish people. However, archeology tells us that there were people in existence before that. When Cain left he went to another place and married and had children. So this created another line. So I think that Adam and Eve were historical people whose story was handed down for many centuries before it was written down.

Peace - Mareczku

Mark, Sandy's post is correct.  The church does not teach the story of Adam and Eve as literal truth, just as it does not teach that the earth and the universe were created in six 24 hour days.  Much of the bible is allegory and metaphor, intended to teach truth using understandable human imagery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 4:12PM #7
GodsLostOne
Wow...this really clears up a lot! I mean I grew up being expect to believe the Bible...but I see that in your explanation that it isn't to be taken literally! I like that.

I am very interested in the archaeological aspect of religion...and didn't know about the "Eve" they found in Africa. I will have to learn more about this. I do know that there is much truth to the existence of those who are mentioned in the Bible.

Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 4:12PM #8
GodsLostOne
Wow...this really clears up a lot! I mean I grew up being expect to believe the Bible...but I see that in your explanation that it isn't to be taken literally! I like that.

I am very interested in the archaeological aspect of religion...and didn't know about the "Eve" they found in Africa. I will have to learn more about this. I do know that there is much truth to the existence of those who are mentioned in the Bible.

Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 8:43PM #9
Shaner

GodsLostOne wrote:

Thank you.

Hello GodsLostOne,

I don't want to give you the wrong idea that Catholics don't believe in the Bible in some literal sense, of course we do, particularly the New Testament.  Actually, Our Lord provide's us with some good examples of allegorical teaching.  When He use's Parables, to teach a larger truth, He show's us an easier way to understand the larger truth through the use of a Parable, a story we can relate to. 

Yes, I have a passion for Biblical Archeology, actually Prajna has posted about a recent find on the Ave Maria Cafe Forum under the title "Christ the Magician", if you'd like to take a look at it. 

Peace,
Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2008 - 10:32AM #10
TemplarS
Difficult question.

The "mitochondrial Eve" relates to our genome; the theory is that there was one woman from whom every woman today can claim descent. The date I have seen on this is about 150,000-200,000  years ago.

This need not be the Biblical Eve, however.  If one thinks God worked by evolution in creating all life, including humans (which is a compatible position with Catholic teaching), this leads to the proposition that at one time along the evolutionary path, humans became sufficiently developed in terms of the moral sense to be capable of having fully developed "human" souls. 

So when did this happen?  It seems that something close to humans with modern behaviors emerged in Africa and spread across the globe 50,000 years ago.  The need to be able to pass along these sophisticated behaviors seems to some to indicate the necessity for reasonably well-developed language, also necessary for comprehending moral concepts.  But it is difficult to document this, since writing only developed from perhaps 6000-8000 years ago; in any case, by that time it is clear that fully modern humans existed, including the moral sense.

Human burials go back before 100,000 BC, which may indicate some sense of an immortal soul; but it is impossible to know this for sure (we know they buried their dead, but cannot be sure what they were thinking when they did this).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook