Page 12 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic and a Democrat?
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2009 - 11:44PM #111
MADAML1890
Can you be Democrat and be Catholic ?  What does the phrase "pro life" mean to you?  OK, you are against abortion.  But you would support murder in the form of capital punishment? Do you support murder in waging war?  Do you support torturing prisoners in Guantanamo Bay?  (If you think they "deserve" it, let us not forget Nuremburg or our Constituiton).  Would support terrortis activity by your "allies" or because you are afraid to say anything bad about someone's religion?  Would you would promote hate against  "foreigners"?  Deny undocumeteds' children health care?  (since we all are Native Americans, we can hate these "foreigners," because none of us could possibly have immigrants in our past, right?)  You would support tax credits to support the rich and the heck with everyone else?  Would you deny families food stamps because they are "too lazy" to support their families?  Would you deny the elderly heating assistance? If you can answer "yes" to many of these questions, then don't worry about being Catholic.  Just because you are anti-abortion does not mean you are even a decent human being.  Supporting the right to life is WAY more than being anti-abortion.   In fact, what the Democrats (and others) have been condemned for has been their "liberal" thinking--which many times embraces human rights, justice, and the real meaning of the right to life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 10:07AM #112
Justly
Wow MADAML 1890, great post!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 7:11PM #113
j_Rob
I agree heartily with the above poster, and with Conan.  I want to cry when I think about aborted babies, but I can't stomach the idea of the government making laws against it (mostly because its probably unconstitutional... that whole document is going to give us a lot of trouble...)

I think that it is worth noting that the time the rate of abortions in the US began to drop was around 1993; the biggest decrease came from 1993-2000 or so, and has remained relatively static since.  This was during the administration of a Democratic president, who felt that abortions should be "safe, legal and rare".  To call the GOP the pro-life party is way off; it is a political tactic used to gain votes and then discarded after the election.  Name one notable thing GWB or his daddy did to decrease abortion rates?  Did they make a commitment to reducing poverty? NO.  Did they advocate any meaningful level of sex education for kids? NO.  Did they increase access to contraceptives that might have saved lives? NO.

Being pro life shouldn't just mean outlawing it; it should mean doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to decrease the need for abortions.  On balance, Democrats are more committed to that than Republicans. 

j_Rob
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 12:14PM #114
septrich@yahoo.com
I am an teacher, survey analyst, Health Care giver and for 40 yrs study politics and the Office of the Presidency. You really must study candidates and find those who are true to their word and beliefs in their faith. In the past 35 years, majority of Republicans have been truer to their word and faith than Democrats. I have many examples but will tell you my father started as a Democrat, but quickly pointed out to me that they were not true to their words. Yes, their are some Repuclicans who are the same way, that is why you should study the canidates.  My example, Our Senator from my state is supposedly to be Catholic, but he is for so called pro choice and even voted for Third term abortions. Our new Vice-President also, has done the same. So please correct the error of saying both parties have done the same. The proof is out their for you find. We had also, a Republican Canidate who ran for Senator who was against war, but refuted the abortion stance of his opponent and lived up to his beliefs 9  adopted two would be abortion babies, but Pro-life didn't do their homework to find this out. They apoligized after the fact.  So please tell the people to study their candidates.  Pray and study the people who run for office.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 5:02AM #115
Doodlebug02

BrookeC wrote:

Can a person not betray their Catholic faith and support the democratic candidate for president at the same time?  I am currently not a Catholic yet but I am about to start RCIA classes soon.  I just wondered does being a Catholic mean that I must vote republican from now on or can I disagree with some stances that the democratic candidate has, mainly his view of abortion, and still support him?  I am struggling with this issue.

You can be a Catholic and a Democrat though I would personally find it difficult to be so because of the Democrat's position on abortion.  The Catholic Church is unequivocally against abortion.  Therefore, I try to vote for the most pro-life party which is usually either the Republican Party or the Constitution Party.  However, I don't usually vote for the Constitution Party because they are an independent party and have very little chance of one of their politicians getting elected.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2009 - 7:35AM #116
Tmarie64

Doodlebug02 wrote:

You can be a Catholic and a Democrat though I would personally find it difficult to be so because of the Democrat's position on abortion.  The Catholic Church is unequivocally against abortion.  Therefore, I try to vote for the most pro-life party which is usually either the Republican Party or the Constitution Party.  However, I don't usually vote for the Constitution Party because they are an independent party and have very little chance of one of their politicians getting elected.

Does it REALLY matter what the "stated" position is?  I mean, the repugnicons have done NOTHING to stop abortion...
Isn't it better to go for the honest person than the one who thinks you're so stupid you won't check their voting record on abortion?  Really... they think you are stupid and will swallow ANYTHING they say.

If abortion was the ONLY problem in the U.S. today, I might vote differently.  But, it's not.  I have children who are already born, as are millions of others, and they need to be cared and provided for.  Abortion isn't even one of the biggest problems we have.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2010 - 11:12AM #117
Pamelajoanne

Can you be a Democrat and Catholic at the same time?  Well, can you be Republican and Catholic at the same time?  Since neither party supports all of Catholic teaching, can you be Catholic and vote at all?

Catholic pro-life doesn’t have the same meaning as the “pro-life” of non-Catholics.  Pro-life for Catholics means protecting Creation, all of Creation.  The earth, the elderly, families, convicts, immigrants, laborers, the unborn, the poor, the sick….Catholic pro-life isn’t a one issue slogan.  Republicans fall short when you look at all of Creation, Democrats fall short when you look a single issue slogan.  The list of intrinsic evils, for Catholics, includes adultery, abortion, deportation, using another’s labor without giving them dignity, racism, killing innocents in wartime (what is called “collateral damage”) and abusing the environment.  So, it isn’t as simple as one might make it out to be.

In the last election, which was the worse evil?  Obama’s pro-choice support or Palin’s racist code words and the mob mentality that they whipped up?  What about McCain’s adultery? It was a hard choice.

To me, the Republican Party doesn’t embrace the majority of Catholic values, even in the area of pro-life.  So, I assert that what we Catholics need are more anti-abortion Democrats.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2010 - 11:27AM #118
Fraggle

there are pro-life Democrats: www.democratsforlife.org/

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2010 - 11:29AM #119
Fraggle

there are pro-life Libertarians too: www.l4l.org/

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2010 - 6:43PM #120
Rebecca

It seems we all hold different views.  As for myself, I don't see how you can be a Catholic, or Christian and vote for a candidate who is "pro choice."   Research will attest to the fact that our leader today is aligned with Planned Parenthood.   I am a 7 year convert, and it disturbs me that I don't hear enough from the pulpit as to abortion being totally anti Catholic.   Maybe some Priests feel that if they are outspoken on this delicate matter, that they may lose members.  Bottom line is that abortion is a sin, and the greatest sin of the century is the loss of the sense of sin.  Bky

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook