Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic and a Democrat?
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 6:37PM #1
BrookeC
Can a person not betray their Catholic faith and support the democratic candidate for president at the same time?  I am currently not a Catholic yet but I am about to start RCIA classes soon.  I just wondered does being a Catholic mean that I must vote republican from now on or can I disagree with some stances that the democratic candidate has, mainly his view of abortion, and still support him?  I am struggling with this issue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 8:57PM #2
Jwbidwell
Despite the assertions of the "Religious Right", the Catholic Church and the Republican Party are not one and the same. No U.S. political party fully encapsulates the values and teachings of the Church. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has produced some good resources to help Catholics in discerning their voting preferences:

http://www.faithfulcitizenship.org/
http://www.usccb.org/faithfulcitizenshi … tement.pdf

As for abortion, I am extremely skeptical of the viewpoint that claims that the Republican Party is "the pro-life party". Are they really concerned with ending abortion, or is it just a great issue for fundraising and motivation? If all the money and energy that has been spent over the last few decades in the futile attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade had instead been put into crisis pregnancy centers, maternity homes, adoption resources, and other such measures, where would the U.S. abortion rate be at this point? I don't think Democrats or Republicans do much more than give lip service to this issue. In fact, they both have vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

To me, the central question is this: which candidate will make the most positive difference in the life of the average person? That is the person I will vote for, regardless of his/her political party affiliation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 9:09PM #3
Emmanuelle110
I'm a Catholic and a democrat but I tend to vote republican.  I agree with jwbidwell, though, because despite the number of republicans we've had in office, abortion rates continue to increase.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 9:14PM #4
TemplarS
I am Catholic.

I used to be a Republican.

Until  George Bush Jr.  No more.

I agree with JW on the abortion issue; it is at this point more of a public education issue than a political one (for one thing, even if Roe is overturned this in itself will not prevent one single abortion), and there are plenty of things we can do in the meantime as JW  suggests.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 9:19PM #5
TemplarS
Actually, Emmanuelle, abortion rates are down somewhat.  But this is more because of efforts at increasing public awareness and providing options than it is because of which party  is or is not in power.  In fact, rates have decreased since 1990, under both Democratic and Republican administrations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 9:54PM #6
mlldrl
I agree that the Republican party tends to play up the abortion issue to get votes.  Are pro-lifers pleased with their accomplishments?  Not 100%.  But we’ve got some constructionist judges on the Supreme Court and the opposition would actively work to undermine the pro-life position…so we have to play the cards we’re dealt.

In Christ,
Michael
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 2:18AM #7
skittlez
may i suggest reading the book "Jesus For President", i promise its not as cheesy as it sounds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 5:55PM #8
Mareczku
Joe, I pretty much agree with what you have said here.  The Republicans are openly pro-life but often it seems like it is more words than action.  Templar, I agree with you to and note again what you said about the abortion rates going down.  Hopefully this trend will continue.  Michael, I am pleased that President Bush has put pro-life Catholics on the Supreme Court.  This is one bright spot in his presidency.  I wonder if Kerry would have put any pro-life Catholics on the Supreme Court?  I have issues with both parties.  While Republicans are pro-life they also seem to be against things that would help the average person such as health care for all children, a higher minimum wage, paid maternity leave for all,  anti-discrimination and anti-hate crime laws, etc. and more in favor of things that help the rich.  The Democrats need to reach out more to pro-life voters.  What annoys me the most is Catholic politicians that  support Planned Parenthood and NARAL and look down their noses at pro-life Catholics.  They say they don't want to impose their personal views and morality on others but then they accept backing from those groups and thumb their noses at some Catholics.  Does this bother anyone else here?

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 8:03PM #9
Tmarie64
I've never known any republican Catholics.
My church has NOTHING to do with my choices for government, and should have nothing to do with running it.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 2:16AM #10
Jwbidwell
There was an article in the June 20th issue of Commonweal on this very topic:

Gerald Beyer, "Yes You Can: Why Catholics Don't Have to Vote Republican"
http://www.commonwealmagazine.org/artic … ticle=2266
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing