Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic and a Democrat?
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 3:29PM #141
Fallingleaf99

Hi my name is Linda. I jost got baptized catholic in March and confirmed in April. It has been a long journey for me . A search really for truth that has taken me from my early roots in Mormonism,I was baptized when I was eight to finally after ten years of looking to where I am now. What I like about the catholic religion is all the saints and the rosary to. Having so much inspiration right at your finger tips is nice anyway talking about State and religion first of all I just want to say that I believe it is possible to make America better as silly as it sounds I feel if we all do our part we can. I had an inspiration one day just thinking about things and I thought what would happen if we started solar farms in places with lots of sunshine such as death valley for instance and the profit for such a venture could be used to improve the grammer schools ext. and have homes for unwed mothers thus helping to save lives from the abortion mill. I am currently on social security soon to profit from my home based business but at the moment not a lot of money to begin a solar farm even if I wanted to. I wonder if the catholic faith would ever consider such a venture as it could possibly be used to enormous good for America?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 1:30AM #142
Holly3278

In my opinion, the only way a Catholic could do this is if the Democrat was strongly pro-life and not likely to bend under pressure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 1:35AM #143
EmpressHelena

I am a Catholic and a Democrat. Being "pro-life" is about a whole lot more than just being "anti-abortion", which most Repulicans (in particular) seem to overlook. Or maybe they just don't care--once you're born, you're on your own. That attitude is not my idea of what Christianity/Catholicism are about. We should care about people from the cradle to the grave--not just make certain they're born and then forget about them.

Most of the movements in this country which have benfitted the poor (who Jesus certainly seemed to praise a lot!) and the oppressed have been instigated by Democrats and opposed by Republicans. Which side do you think Jesus would take?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2011 - 10:55AM #144
nnn123

abortion is only one of many issues involved in politics.

If one is to make a moral choice about which party best fulfills God's will, one has to judge the entirety of their agenda.

To my mind, it is quite clear that the Republican Party is the party of Big Business and the rich and is involved in a huge range of issues which are a clear violation of God's will of compassion to the poor and sick.

That being said, I don't think the Democrats are significantly better.

One must discriminate between a politician's claim that they stand for family values and the actual practices of their party and its agenda.

To be precisely clear, politicians lie with almost every word that comes out of their mouths.

America has become the land of business, not democracy.  Democracy is a value of equality and fairness.  That is divine.  Business is a value of competition for the biggest dollar.  That is directly opposite to the divine intention, that we live for what is beyond materialism.

So, when people say, tax the rich to help the poor and some politician tries to spin it to protect the rich...who exactly do you think they serve?  God or business?

Don't be deceived.  Religion is always about caring, compassion and helping people.  Policies which are for that are divine, policies which oppose that come from Satan, not God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 10:02PM #145
muldo7

I have read a number of responses to the question of whether a person can be a Catholic and a Democrat?  I have been a Democrat all of my life and a Catholic.  I have wrestled in my conscience more with being a Catholic than with being a Democrat.  I have studied theology and the scriptures in great detail all of my life, and have followed the happenings in the Church since Vatican Council II.  The brutal recentering of all power within the Vatican in clear denial of the doctrine of collegiality and the ruthless crushing of all theological reflection that does not agree with current Vatican and papal teachings, especially in the area of open questions and in the area of the "reform of the reformation" of the liturgy promulgated by the late great, though vilified, Pope Paul VI, that has been rammed down our throats by Benedict XVI, have made it very difficult for me to continue to call myself a Catholic.  As for the politico-moral questions revolving around membership in the Democratic or the Republican party, no one, despite the bishops' almost telling us that we must vote for Republican candidates, can cast her/his vote based on one issue alone.  The opposite of "pro" life is not "pro choice," but "anti" life, or "pro" death.  The"culture of death" does not exist except in the minds of those who created the concept--Catholic hierarchy and clergy, who rightly were morally outraged by Dr. Kavorkian, "Dr. Death"--and in the minds of those who have let themselves being swayed by this distortion of reality.   When I read the Letter of James and the First Letter of John, I do not see how one can call herself/himself a Christian and at the same advocate policies detrimental and hurtful to the poor, the disabled, and the elderly in an effort to destroy Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Disability Insurance, Workers Comp, Unemployment Insurance, and the rights fo workers to organize into Unions for their own best interests.  We have had too much of the rich getting tax breaks that enable them to get richer and richer at the expense of the poor, the middle class, and the unemployed, while they send jobs over seas, and claim that their tax breaks contribute to greater employment in our own country.  It must be clear that one may not base her/his vote on a single issue only when there are moral issues involving love and justice for one's neighbor that are clearly opposed by so-called "born again" "Christians" of an unnamed party which includes in its numbers the Tea Party.  Clearly we are not in a situation demanding that we dump all the tea in Boston harbor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 10:38PM #146
muldo7

Malanga, I want to commend you for your consistent position.  You have clearly given much thought to all the issues involved in whether one can or should vote for a particular candidate or a particular party, and you are one of the few who I find has clearly articulated the meaning of the separation of church and state, as articulated by Thomas Jefferson and many of the Founding Fathers, though not stated in those specific terms in the Constitution.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2011 - 12:20PM #147
lulu2

I can say, as a someone raised in the RC, the fight for Life, is paramount in the Church. Because of that, the Republican party at least, keeps the issue ALIVE.  I also believe, Roe vs Wade, was another harmful law, written at the time, with the best intentions. While it gave a women equality of a man, when it came to convience . It split those who believe in support of life, at odds with its country and its church. Oddly enough, it took science to develop the ability to see into the womb, for some folks to finally acknowledge: " the unborn as a human life!". Again relgious belief, was proven by scienctific knowledge. As for abortion, I believe the next generation will understand better when life begins, and support it, making an opening for the Democratic party to get on board..if only for more votes, rather than principles. 

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook