Page 14 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic and a Democrat?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:16AM #131
winky

Lets be honest many Catholic have used abortion issue to vote republican, but the real issue in race, poor people and money.  Just think before the voting rights act in the 1960's the entire south was democrat. After that act past, the entire south turned Republican.

The most serious issue with Americans is the inability to be honest about the real issues and the real questions.  They can only be discussed behind closed doors with people of like minds.

The most crucial and most devasting issue for American's survival is our inability as a nation to truly believe that all people are given those divine given Rights from God of justice, equality and freedom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2010 - 9:24AM #132
Catholicboy518

People lets be honest alot of catholics today are republican becuase republicans always vote  Catholic. Ill tell you this YOU SHOULD NOT GET YOUR RELIGOUS VIEWS IN THE WAY OF YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS. If you want to vote domeocrat then go ahead and vote democrat

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2010 - 3:18PM #133
Absolutely_josie

Nov 10, 2010 -- 9:24AM, Catholicboy518 wrote:

People lets be honest alot of catholics today are republican becuase republicans always vote  Catholic. Ill tell you this YOU SHOULD NOT GET YOUR RELIGOUS VIEWS IN THE WAY OF YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS. If you want to vote domeocrat then go ahead and vote democrat

I have to disagree with you.  Religion teaches us morality...what is right and wrong.  If we ignore our beliefs, our morals, when we vote, we make a poor choice.

I believe that however one chooses to vote...Democrat, Republican, Independent...they should vote for the person who best represents what they believe in.  I don't think party affiliation matters.  There have been pro-life Democrats, there have been pro-choice Republicans.  The party doesn't matter as much as the person.

We shouldn't abandon our Catholic beliefs when voting.  We should choose the person who best represents them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 8:59AM #134
lulu2

As a Christian, I can never support any government, person or party who sees nothing wrong with using the Machevilian creedo of "the ends justify the means". It allows for no principles, rules, or ethical concerns, as long as you come out a winner in the end! Many on the far left, support this way of doing business. As for supporting the death of an innocent life, as with their acceptance of abortion, I can in no way, as a Christian, be in support of that, therefore, the Democractic postion, for ME, isnt acceptable. Now as to their idea of holding the moral high ground, upon what moral principle do they stand on, when it comes to taking more money from us, while not being good stewards of that money? Strike three!  

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2010 - 11:12AM #135
Bob10

Acts 5:29, NRSV -- 

But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than any human authority.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2011 - 2:41AM #136
Called2holiness

There are very few Democrats who take a pro-life position.  The Democratic Party platform is pro-abortion.  The Republican Party, for all of its faults, has a pro-life platform.  When you are voting for an individual, that individual is controlled by his or her party.  If you vote for a Democrat, don't expect that individual to vote pro-life no matter what their personal take is on the issue.  As far as specific candidates, I don't see how any Catholic could vote for President Obama, who is vehemently pro-abortion and has no problem killing families in Pakistan and Yemen via Predator Drones. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 8:37AM #137
Derekj

Dec 3, 2010 -- 3:18PM, Absolutely_josie wrote:

Nov 10, 2010 -- 9:24AM, Catholicboy518 wrote:

I have to disagree with you.  Religion teaches us morality...what is right and wrong.  If we ignore our beliefs, our morals, when we vote, we make a poor choice.

I believe that however one chooses to vote...Democrat, Republican, Independent...they should vote for the person who best represents what they believe in.  I don't think party affiliation matters.  There have been pro-life Democrats, there have been pro-choice Republicans.  The party doesn't matter as much as the person.

We shouldn't abandon our Catholic beliefs when voting.  We should choose the person who best represents them.

Well stated. While Catholic Teachings promote the moral and the ethical, public policy can reflect a range of choices. The Church opposes abortion but should all providers be closed down and prosecuted for murder? How about making it harder to happen than getting a building permit or giving all that Planned Parenthood money to organizations looking for adoption couples for the infants we already have? The Church advocates against gay marriage and defends its sacrament but does this mean we as Catholics oppose all marriage -- what about civil unions? There are no clear cut answers (although Nancy Pelosi has a knack of stating some things that are obviously wrong) but the choice rests with us to choose the best person for the job and that is never a party choice.

dj

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2011 - 3:02PM #138
RGallag448

Dear Friend--I am so sorry to note that someone has led you to believe  Caholicism is a one-issue religion, sadly without nuanced positions on important questions of a pluralistic society.

If you were hoping for a religion with one "right" answer for all the important questions, this is not it.  As a thinking person, you will come to appreciate there is room for your own fine mind and loving spirit.  Bless you in your quest.  RGallag448@aol.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2011 - 5:26PM #139
TemplarS

Jan 1, 2011 -- 2:41AM, Called2holiness wrote:

There are very few Democrats who take a pro-life position.  The Democratic Party platform is pro-abortion.  The Republican Party, for all of its faults, has a pro-life platform.  When you are voting for an individual, that individual is controlled by his or her party.  If you vote for a Democrat, don't expect that individual to vote pro-life no matter what their personal take is on the issue.  As far as specific candidates, I don't see how any Catholic could vote for President Obama, who is vehemently pro-abortion and has no problem killing families in Pakistan and Yemen via Predator Drones. 

Well, gee, if one looks only at the objectionable positions the candidates take (don't get me started on Bush's foreign or economic policies), you would never be able to vote for anybody.  Which is a perfectly okay option, BTW, though it might preclude one from later bitching too much about the person who won.

In any election, there are apt to be pros and cons to each candidate, which every voter must balance and analyze for himself/herself.  Some people feel so strongly about one or two issues that these issues alone will swing things clearly one way or another; that is certainly their right.  But other people might have different opinions, and that is their right. 

As far as being Catholic goes, a person's faith is an integral part of who they are, and nobody is saying anyone must check their faith at the door to the polling place.  By all means, apply your faith to the way you vote. But recognize that others might do this differently.

And also recognize that the way you apply your faith on the 1,465 days between elections is just as important as the way you apply it on Election Day. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2011 - 10:59AM #140
Pamelajoanne
I think it's all backwards re: Republicans/Democrats.  To be a Catholic pro-lifer extends well beyond abortion and morning after pills. Catholics believe that all life is sacred, from conception to natural death.  Catholic Social Justice documents what that means; the God Given human right  to dignity includes rights to give honest labor, to education, to health care, to housing, to food, to no death penalties in the US.... Democrats tend to minister to humans after birth, in many different settings. I don't call one-issue-pro-life platforms a true pro-life platform at all. Google "Catholic Social Justice 10" for more information.   The racism alone gives me pause. Just yesterday I received another email from a Republican that contained a photo of a monkey in a suit as our president. Racism is an intrinsic evil, you know. As is abortion and deportation. Our Bishops are in favor of immigration reform, the DREAM Act and environmental priorities. They are against the death penalty in the US.   Guess how many Catholic Republicans walked away from the leadership of their faith in order to advocate for those policies and conditions that are NOT endorsed by the Bishops? It's (sadly) a large number.

We vote our morals. If we are active Catholics, then our morals have been shaped by our faith. There is no place in anyone's life where our morals don't accompany us. So, our faith lives within us 24/7. The voting booth is just one small space where we go with our morals.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook