Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Online Swedenborgian Resources
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 11:06AM #1
Ancestral
I have known about Swedenborg but not really much about his teachings. I am started to become interested in what he taught. I found this online resource which is sort of a "virtual Swedenborgian congregation" and just signed up as I live no where near a "real world" one::

http://www.swedenborgiancommunity.org/index.cfm

Does anyone have any good online resources for the newbie to Swedenborgian thought?

Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2008 - 10:23AM #2
newchurchgirl
Hi Dave,

You might have found some great resources by now because I know there are several out there, but I thought I'd throw out a couple..

You may be more interested in Swedenborg's writings in a more broad sense, but I grew up in the more organized sect officially called "The Church of the New Jerusalem", and because locations for it are so scattered, they post audio and PDF sermons on the website, newchurch.org , coming out of the "general church" hub in Bryn Athyn, PA. It's true that sermons obviously incorporate the minister's interpretation and views, some more traditional and some more liberal, but they are organized by subject and can be really helpful in gathering some perspectives towards the text, which on its own can be daunting at times. I believe that swedenborg.org also has sermons and resources, just from the slightly different perspective of the "convention church", but probably would be just as helpful.
    If you are looking for more text-based resources, however, have you heard of heavenlydoctrines.org? it's fantastic, you can search all of swedenborg's religious works for any word, phrase, or idea. you can even get it in the original latin if you're a real scholar.
     Hope that helped. I would love to answer any future questions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2008 - 7:56PM #3
Mind_Zenith
Yeah...I know this is a bit late, but, my church is the Lord's New Church Which Is Nova Hierosolyma, simply called the Lord's New Church, and is found at www.thelordsnewchurch.com

:]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 4:28PM #4
newchurchguy

The primary website for the General Church of the New Jerusalem is http://www.newchurch.org

There links there to many other websites that are individual the famous Bryn Athyn Cathedral, church locations, the schools, the college and a museum.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2009 - 10:22PM #5
DougWeb

Here is an online search tool to search most of Swedenborg writings online:

http://www.theheavenlydoctrines.org/dtSearch.html

Also, his writings have been posted online at the Internet Sacred Text Archive:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/swd/index.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 22, 2009 - 4:16PM #6
newchurchguy

Here is another great resource the Swedenborg Foundation:

www.swedenborg.com/

IN THE NEWS

3/19/2009
Le Clézio on Swedenborg

Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio, the winner of the 2008 Nobel Prize for Literature, voiced his admiration for Emanuel Swedenborg in his post-prize press interviews.

Le Clézio, a French writer who has spent his life traveling the world, was born in Nice. He lived in Africa as a young man and studied at universities in England and France. He published his first novel, Le Procčs-verbal (The Interrogation) in 1963 and has written over forty works since then. While he is acknowledged as one of the greatest living French writers, relatively little of his writing has been translated into English. Le Clézio gave Swedenborg a nod in his Nobel acceptance speech when he listed Swedenborgšs writings as one of the most powerful texts of humankind.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 3:43PM #7
newchurchguy

This is brand new - check it out www.newchurchlive.tv/

there will be new stuff soon.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 12:29PM #8
Newchurchthought

Hi all,

Because you're looking for online Swedenborgian resources I wanted to let you know about a couple of websites.

First, a little self promotion. I have a blog, New Church Thought (newchurchthought.blogspot.com/ soon to be newchurchthought.org). I post whatever interesting Swedenborgian content I find online--articles, sermons, websites, videos, blogs, etc. It's not the most organized source of online resources but it does let you sort the posts by various categories (web sites, audio, video, sermon etc.) and every couple of days I post some new (hopefully interesting) tidbit.

There are a bunch of Swedenborg related search engines out there. I wrote  review of all of them here (newchurchthought.blogspot.com/2009/03/sw...).

NewChurch.org has an online resources page: www.newchurch.org/materials/online-resou....

I'd also recommend the Swedenborg Digital Library (www.swedenborgdigitallibrary.org/) and Bible Meanings (biblemeanings.info/).

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 12:23PM #9
ceblair

I am the Senior Pastor of New Church Live.  

Our website is in its infancy and we are working to get it up and going.  You can view archived services at ...

www.vimeo.com/newchurchlive

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 10:03AM #10
ceblair

Our website is now fully up and stocked and shows many Swedenborgian services.

www.newchurchlive.tv

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook