6 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 7:57PM #1
TexasHermit
How did you know the mennonite church was the one for you to join or follow?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 7:57PM #2
TexasHermit
How did you know the mennonite church was the one for you to join or follow?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 11:55AM #3
watchfulpilgrim
[QUOTE=TexasHermit;680150]How did you know the mennonite church was the one for you to join or follow?[/QUOTE]
Hi TexasHermit,
Firstly, I am not yet Mennonite but I've been an aspirant to the Conservative Eastern Mennonite Church for almost 3 years - formerly Catholic. 
I was born and raised Catholic, went to perochial schools etc., but my family wasn't spiritual-ly minded and we seldom went to mass aside from perhaps Christmas and Easter.  In my mid-twenties I had a conversion experience (born-again) through Scripture reading and soon reconciled myself with the Catholic Church.  I was devoutly Catholic for about 8 years but through Scripture reading began to question my Catholic faith.  What I found in Scripture I tried to put into  practice but as far as finding a church I had no idea how to go about it.  I eventually began using the internet (I had avoided it for many years when it first came out) and attempted to find a church - meanwhile worshipping at home.  Through the writings of John Christian Wenger (early to mid 1900s) I discovered that what I saw in Scripture about the church, community, faith, doctrine, lifestyles, etc.. meshed perfectly with the Mennonite faith.  It took a few more years of searching until I actually found a community nearby, but by the grace of God I finally did find one.  I wasn't sure quite what to expect from the community but I already knew what they believed and that was enough for me at the time  But once I attended a service I was pleasantly surprised by their loving acceptance and incredible charity - as if they had found a long-lost member of their family! 
I think I've always been Mennonite at heart and I have simply found home - well, maybe a home away from home (heaven) ;).  Admittedly though, I do still question if my new-found Scriptural insight is correct and/or if I should abondon ship with the Catholic chuch by being re-baptized by the Mennonites.  Still not ready to take that leap....
Bless You~
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2008 - 8:34PM #4
Artforgood
I found the comment by the person who discovered that he/she was already a Mennonite at heart quite interesting--I have the same feeling. My convictions are all the same: promoting peace at all levels of society and nation; baptism of believers; strong sense of community and demonstrated love. . . 
I would love to find a church that wholeheartedly practices these values (not "perfectly"--I will settle for wholeheartedly). I went to a Mennonite Brethren church in my area but found the worship service very diffused and lacking the feeling of reverence and depth in the Word that I am looking for. There was even clapping after the music offerings. And I was informed by one of the elders that a large portion of the members do not back the historic Anabaptist commitment to opposing war.  I do not mean to be promiscuously critical of my fellow believers; I simply wish to find communion with those of like mind. Any suggestions or information on locating same?
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook