Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
9 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 4:19PM #91
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]I messed up on the second and third place stats, partly because the Beijing website had early results that have since been changed.  Apparently, Wallace Spearmon (USA) had initially placed third (with Martina in second place). 

But that all changed when the officials disqualified Spearmon, after the race, for running outside his lane for part of the race.  The US protested Spearmon's disqualification on the grounds that Martina had also run outside his lane for part of the race.  On review, the officials agreed with the US on Martina running outside his lane, so both athletes were disqualified post-race.

Thus, the silver medalist in this event is Shawn Crawford (USA) and the bronze medalist is Walter Dix (USA).

Story here:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … .DTL&tsp=1.

And, yeah, Bolt is the first runner since Carl Lewis (in 1984) to gold medal in both the 100 and the 200.  The great Jesse Owens did it in 1936.

[/color]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 2:51PM #92
Shaner

Merope wrote:

Yikes! I wasn't clear in my post about Ramzi. He did NOT break either record in this race. When I said he was "off" world and Olympic record time, I meant his time was LONGER than either of these two record times, and not that he shaved those seconds off the two record times. Thus, both the world and the Olympic records in the men's 1500 still stand. My apologies for not being clear on that.

Thank you, ma'am :)

I find it all extraordinarily interesting - and often inspiring - and that's what really moves me to post about this stuff. That said, I'll be offline from later on this morning (Pacific time) until Saturday.

Actually, I think (although I'm not sure), the Canadian runner took the silver in the men's 1500. You can check the stats (competition results, medals, records, etc.) on the Beijing Olympics page here: http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/REC/index.shtml. (Just be sure to refresh the page when you get there to make sure you have the most current stats.)

Correction noted, :-) 
Going to miss your "Blog" Merope, I'll have to catch up online who's winning what and what records are being broken, :-). 
I watched a recap of "Lightning's" win in the 200m, then some of the Equestrian before we went out........I'll play catch-up today,

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 5:24PM #93
gilg
Merope,

Thanks for the updates, I’ve caught most of it but have missed much. I also like track & field and when catch ‘em when they aren’t too far from here. I am surprised that the Jamaicans are doing so well but it was fun watching their feats and celebrations. I was disappointed with the female pole vault, I really wanted Jenn Sutckzynski to win gold but perhaps next time. I saw her last June going for the world record, she didn’t make it but she did break her own record. There were a few Olympic hopefuls there and the Oregon people sure excelled there just as they consistently do. Here is composite photo of Suczynski:

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 12:34PM #94
Shaner
Fastest man alive,

Jamaica's Bolt gets third gold in relay (AP)

Yelling at his teammate after handing off the baton, Usain Bolt saw another world record in reach. It was just a matter of time. Asafa Powell took the baton from Bolt and did the honors in the anchor leg of the men's 400-meter relay Friday, finishing the race in 37.10 seconds to shatter a 16-year-old mark and bring yet another gold medal home to Jamaica.

And another record broken!  The Beijing 2008 Olympics will go down in history as "the Bolt and Phelps" one,

Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 9:42PM #95
jane2
Now it is on to Vancouver. I now that they will present a fine Winter Olympics. I enjoy the Winter Olympics in Alpine countries, the US and Canada.

On video some days ago I watched Michelle Kwan as an official, unpaid,
envoy of the US to the Chinese Games.

How poised she is!! Even without an Olympic Gold she represents her sport of figure skating with such elegance. Also a great envoy for her country.

Of course, the interview included whether or not she will compete in 2010. She doesn't need to and the new rules could very well negate her most beautiful moves--long and extended.

In figure skating now jack-rabbits win with too many "moves" in too small a time frame. Elegance is gone.

So here's to 2010 in Vancouver.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 1:32AM #96
gilg
Jane,

I agree about Michelle, she embodies elegance and grace, I loved seeing her. Before her there was Oksana Baiul another skater that was poetry in motion, it was unfortunate her career was so short, and before her I liked Peggy Fleming. Those three are my all time favorites, grace and elegance - poetry in motion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 4:33PM #97
friendofsaints&angels
Steroids, politics and corruption, that about sums up my thoughts and feelings about the olympics. it also seems that the media always trys to play up some feel good story about the olympics and how some great athlete has overcome some great tragedy in His/Her life and is now competing for gold. don't we all try and overcome tragedy and dissapointments in our lives??? couldn't the same thing be said about the Kentucky Derby, or the NFL, or whatever sport there is to watch out there??? I won't watch any of it, unless I happen to see some replays of some things on ESPN P.S. Hey Prajna, you were wondering how the IOC allowed China too host the 08 games??? hang on a second, I'm trying to find the dollar sign key on my computer keyboard. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ found it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook