Switch to Forum Live View Introduction to Christian Science
6 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2007 - 4:25PM #1
Debator
For those of you interested in Christian Science, this is the basic intro.

History- Mary Baker Eddy grew up getting many illnesses and longing for spiritual fullfilment. She rejected her parents strict congregational christian views. She eventually understood the bible by not looking at it so literally and she overcame illness and lived to be 89 years old when the average life expectancy around her time was 50!

Beliefs-

God is all good and would never create sin, illness, death. He just wouldnt allow it. Humans are in the image of god (as jesus says, the kingdom of god is within). We are basically spiritual and the original sin is symbolic of how we erred from God's way and now live in total illusion. The physical world is not true, it is a warped and distorted view of our true, happy, spiritual selves.

Through proper understanding we can overcome sin, illness, and realize that death is not really death, but just another illusion.

Contrary to Popular Belief-

Christian Scientists are allowed to use medicine if they cant heal themselves as we still err because our iillusion is so strong!

Mary Baker Eddy did not stage her healings, as she was suppose to have died when she got in a severe accident.

Christian Science is not just for old people that want hope. Many people of different ages, race, and ethnicity practice Christian Science.

How to become a Christian Scientist- All you do is start practicing it. Some people join a church for community support. Read           Science and Health with key to the Scripture
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2008 - 6:11PM #2
seaotter2
If you want to learn more about Christian Science check out www.ChristianScience.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 8:21AM #3
BigRaff
I am not a member of a Christian Science church, but I study it a lot. I have read Science and Health effectively four times, and read and studied numerous Lesson Sermons and articles. I have also attended a couple of lectures

I like it because it does not compromise Principle. It does not say sometimes God heals and sometimes He doesn't. I like the idea of a God who is infinite Good and ever- present. There is one God, who is Life, Truth and Love forever active and expressing Himself in His ideas. I like the idea that I and eveyone else are one of those ideas.

Dennis R.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook