Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Candidates and Discrimination
6 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2008 - 1:56PM #1
Mareczku
What is the policy of the Catholic Church in backing candidates for office that are in favor of discrimination against gays and lesbians?  For example, you have a candidate that feels that gays and lesbians should be banned from some jobs, can be denied housing, can be denied health care coverage.  The candidate also believes they should not be allowed to serve in the armed forces or allowed to adopt a child.  The candidate is totally against any anti-discrimination laws and anti-hate crime laws that are aimed at protecting gays.  The candidate believes that gay people can be discriminated against because he believes them to be disordered and depraved.  The candidate believes that decent people need to be protected from homosexuals.  What would the Church say about such a candidate?  Should Catholics avoid voting for people that support prejudice and discrimination?   

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 6:03PM #2
skittlez
who would vote for that haha? voting is always about the lesser of two evils. you will never (or rarely) get a candidate thats actually worthwhile. but as a catholic it would seem very contrary to the faith to support someone so intent on dehumanizing a (any) group of people. even if someone doesnt support homosexuality they shouldnt tolerate that sort of injustice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 2:48PM #3
mlldrl
Mark,

Employment, housing and health care are basic human needs and as such should not be withheld from anyone regardless of race, color or creed.  This applies to those with same sex attraction too.

However, serving in the military and adopting a baby are not basic human needs.  Society already discriminates against people in these too regards.  For example, a person who cannot pass a physical exam is ineligible for service in the military.  As for adoption, a couple with a severe illness or over a certain age are excluded from many adoption programs.

There is a big difference between a basic human need and a want.

In Christ,
Michael
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 2:53PM #4
Tmarie64
I don't care what the Church thinks.  I vote for MY conscience.  Not anyone else's.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 5:47PM #5
Mareczku
Hi Michael.  Many gay couples have adopted babies and children with HIV or AIDS.  The Church doesn't really want gay people adopting kids but I think they may be OK with those kind of hard to place adoptions.  They just don't think gay people should be allowed to adopt healthy white kids.  When I say Church I mean the hierarchy, many lay Catholics have no problem with qualified gay people adopting children. 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 5:54PM #6
Tmarie64
I don't have any problem with gays doing anything.
If two adults in a stable, loving relationship want to adopt a child, I say.. More power to them.
They are adults and should be allowed to marry.
They are no different, less moral or more, than any other group.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 12:04AM #7
angpuppy
[QUOTE=Mareczku;697199]What is the policy of the Catholic Church in backing candidates for office that are in favor of discrimination against gays and lesbians?  For example, you have a candidate that feels that gays and lesbians should be banned from some jobs, can be denied housing, can be denied health care coverage.  The candidate also believes they should not be allowed to serve in the armed forces or allowed to adopt a child.  The candidate is totally against any anti-discrimination laws and anti-hate crime laws that are aimed at protecting gays.  The candidate believes that gay people can be discriminated against because he believes them to be disordered and depraved.  The candidate believes that decent people need to be protected from homosexuals.  What would the Church say about such a candidate?  Should Catholics avoid voting for people that support prejudice and discrimination?   

Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

There are many issues and no ideal candidates.  Moreover, what some people consider discrimination, others don't.  Overall I have a hierachy of values and I try not so much to vote for someone who shares the majority of my ideals, but I look to issues I feel are most important and go down the scale -- till I'm left ultimately with no one to vote for.  I actually found an online chart thing to do this with back we we still had a ton of candidates on both sides, and I found that my circle of values didn't cover anyone.  I utterly disagree with everyone.  Thus I always end up voting for someone where someone brings up "How could you vote for them when they have this view on this issue?  You're cruel!"  And its like "Uh, I do think that issue is important, but not as important as this issue.  If I considered all my issues, I might as well not vote and move to my own island."

But in regards to this issue, the Church shouldn't be telling people "This candidate is someone you should vote for.  Primarily what is is concerned about is Catholics in public life comitting public sins, not repenting of them and receiving the Eucharist when they should be withholding themselves from it.  Thus its not the Church's business to interview everyone in confession line as to whether they're worthy to receive communion or not, but if you make your sin public and are still persisting in it and not repenting, the Church has a responsibility not to give you communion, as you're committing a sacrelidge.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 7:45AM #8
Tmarie64
It's not a sin to not follow to the letter the ideas of MEN.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 8:32AM #9
mlldrl
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;706102]It's not a sin to not follow to the letter the ideas of MEN.[/QUOTE]

Will you please develop this position further?  What 'ideas' or sorts of ideas should we follow?  Which are optional in your opinion?

In Christ,
Michael
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 8:40AM #10
Tmarie64
Right after you explain who made you the person I need to justify anything to, Mike.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook