Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Your feelings and thoughts on the sex abuse scandal
9 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 11:28PM #11
WaveringCC

angpuppy wrote:

1. When did you first hear claims of priests molesting children?
As a child, I knew there was something a bit odd in my house, but not old enough to pick up. Only as an adult did I find out that when my brother was 14 and in junior seminary, a priest there "came on" to him. My brother was not a shrinking violet, and he was big for his age, so nothing happened. My brother left the seminary after three mnths, he left the church at 18, and never came back. He is 68 now.

Personally, I remember my pious, Irish Catholic mother warning me when my kids were very young never to leave them alone with a priest. This was the early 80s and my sons were pre-school age. In about 1984, the Louisiana cases came out. I believe that those cases were the first investigated by Thomas Doyle, who was tasked to this by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. But, when he reported his findings, he became persona non grata in the church. He ended up becoming a military chaplain because he was effectively exiled by the church for telling the truth.

2. Did you believe the claims at first?

Yes.

3. How do you think priests molesting children compares to teachers and relatives molesting children? Do you believe it causes more harm on a child to be molested by a priest than it does to be molested by someone else?

Sexual abuse is terrible regardless of who does it.

4. What are your overall thoughts on how common child molestation is in the world? Do you believe its more common in the Church?

I don't know that it is more common, but it was hidden by the very people who should have taken action. I have never known of any other organization doing that so systematically for so long. Bishops lied to hide the crimes of their priests.

5. How well do you think other organizations and society handles child molestations? Do you think there is more or less accountability?

I know that 20 years ago when my son was in the Boy Scouts, they took great care to be sure their leaders were cleared and unable to have access to children. This was after they had discovered a molesting leader. The Boy Scouts did what the church failed to do - it immediately took steps against the perpetrator and made changes in how they did things. Fathers were not even allowed to sleep in tents with their own sons.

In my community, sadly, there have always been some teachers/coaches who molested kids. They were immediately reported to the police, suspended from their duties during the investigation, and most definitely NOT moved from school to school or protected from the legal authorities.

I have no faith even now in the hierarchy of the church not to put itself ahead of kids. About two years ago there was a new case in Chicago. The Cardinal there did nothing, and even when the police learned of the allegations from the families and told him to remove the priest from duty during the investigation, he did not. Nor did he inform the parish. Once again, it took the stories in the mediato get him to do what he should have done. THIS WAS ONLY TWO YEARS AGO.

Then, he (Cardinal George) was elected head of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops last fall. This was a slap in the face to vicitims and to all Catholics. And it sends a powerful message. It's back to business as usual. The bishops never "got it" and they still don't.

I recommend a book by an Australian bishop who headed up the investigation into sexual abuse there for 9 years.

His name is Geoffrey Robinson, and the book is called: Confronting Sex and Power in the Catholic Church.

I heard him speak, and he was excellent. His book is very good in addressing the root causes of the sexual abuse crisis in the RCC, but probably does not go far enough - in spite of all the criticism heaped on him by the PTB.

Bnet has an interview with him here

http://blog.beliefnet.com/pontification … refor.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 7:42PM #12
gilg
[COLOR="Blue"]When did you first hear claims of priests molesting children?[/COLOR]

In the late 90’s.

[COLOR="Blue"]2. Did you believe the claims at first?[/COLOR]

Yes, the information came from someone I knew, it was not until later that I learned that the dioceses had transferred the predator Fr Ogrady across various parishes where he committed his crimes again and again – It was a pattern, I was to find out, that was common across the country and world.

[COLOR="Blue"]3. How do you think priests molesting children compares to teachers and relatives molesting children?[/COLOR]

Priests not only commit a physical rape but a spiritual rape as well. Excluding the possibility of parental rape, I don’t think there is anything that compares in evil.

[COLOR="Blue"] Do you believe it causes more harm on a child to be molested by a priest than it does to be molested by someone else?[/COLOR]

Yes.

[COLOR="Blue"]4. What are your overall thoughts on how common child molestation is in the world? Do you believe its more common in the Church?[/COLOR]

Probably more common than reported, but it is NOT supposed to happen in the Church, the profane entering the Church is not only sacrilegious but such depravity is an offense against the HS, and we know what Christ said about that. 

[COLOR="Blue"]5. How well do you think other organizations and society handles child molestations? Do you think there is more or less accountability?[/COLOR]

At least in this country, the evidence is other organizations are more accountable.

The other two main sins here are:  1) Failure to practice the Sacrament of Reconciliation by the leadership responsible for the coverups and failure to protect the community of worshippers, particularly the children   2) Failure to implement mechanisms for accountability and removal of perverts
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2009 - 10:13AM #13
Roodog

My dear Catholic friends,

Rome is not alone in this issue, if not in the abuse of acolytes, then with ministers being involved with women (or men in the case of female ministers) that they are not married to.

While the Commandment against adultery may be obeyed in action, our thoughts and desires cause us all to trangress this commandment. Nobody is innocent we all must deal with it. This includes our ministers.

The Clergy is held to a higher standard of holiness. This means that unsuitable persons need to be screened out before being admitted to the ministry. In your case, celabacy must be understood as comeplete abstinance from any and all sorts of sexual behavior, not just remaining unmarried. In today's society, the unmarried having  sex is tolerated if not encouraged. The Church needs to be different in this respect.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 7:11PM #14
fishylishy

Jul 31, 2008 -- 8:31PM, angpuppy wrote:

1. When did you first hear claims of priests molesting children? 2. Did you believe the claims at first? 3. How do you think priests molesting children compares to teachers and relatives molesting children? Do you believe it causes more harm on a child to be molested by a priest than it does to be molested by someone else? 4. What are your overall thoughts on how common child molestation is in the world? Do you believe its more common in the Church? 5. How well do you think other organizations and society handles child molestations? Do you think there is more or less accountability?

## In order:

1. When I saw (most of) the documentary "Suing the Pope" about the dozens of molestations committed by an Irish priest, starting before he was ordained a priest (IOW, while he was still a deacon), that were known to his bishop, who responded by moving him from parish to parish without informing his new flocks of this man's past activities. It blew my mind - & and I saw only 30 of its 45 minutes. 

2. Yes.

3. Indescribably worse, because teachers and others don't claim to be the ministers of Jesus Christ, ministers of his sacraments, teachers of his doctrine, or "other Christs" when offering Mass. Catholic evil must be judged by the doctrinal  & moral claims that are made about & for them; not by another, that ignores these claims & treats the CC as though it aspired to be a merely earthly society.  

4a. None. 4b. I don't know

5a. See 4b. 5b. RC bishops are all but unaccountable - whether to the faithful, or to the laws of they states they live in. The protection JP2 gave Bernard Madoff - sorry, Law - shows that. As does the way in which the religious molesters of the young in Ireland have been exempted from even the prospewct of criminal prosecution. The CC  is rather less moral than the Mafia - which indeed it decided to condemn only in the 1990s. It is plain that Christian faith & morals are of rather slight importance in the eyes of the RCC; power, saving face, & its own ego are of far greater concern to it than any drivel about treating human beings as if they were worth anything; other than as prey for the pimps & pimp-enablers of the Unholy Roman Church to batten on, corrupt, ruin, & throw away as though they were used condoms. Rome has climbed to power over a mountain of broken lives, broken hearts, broken confidences, & broken faith - this latest essay in evil is typical of its record.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 10:19PM #15
Roodog

I really feel sorry for the Laity. The coverup by the Church amounts to criminality. In Non RCC churches, the clergy is married and have families of their own so their tolerance for such behavior is much lower. They will take action to remove the offender from access to children and hand them over to civil authorities for the wrongdoing perpetrated on the kids.

This is not foolproof, a High School counselor that was once employed  by a Lutheran Church here in Colorado has recently been arrested for sexual misconduct in the school and in the church.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 9:02AM #16
belleo

Priests that molest to hear some 99 % of them do .  Even if it was 1 % it would be horrendous . Do we pray for our priests ?  We think  they are holy more holy than most of us . They are part of the sick sex society we live in . Sex and more sex inundates us daily on television and  what not .  I remind myself that they are brothers from the same type of home  I grew up in .  They are sinners and I know I am a sinner . I was molested as a child and it has had an effect on me to this day . Molested by a priest no I wasn't . Molested by family members  is that lesser ?  I don't think so .

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook