Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
10 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 12:13PM #1
Mareczku
The Catholic Education forum no longer exists but I have a question.  What do you think of sex education in Catholic schools?  When I was in Catholic grade school it didn't really exist.  I think they showed the girls movies about puberty and things but they were sworn to secrecy and the boys got nothing.  We finally did have sex ed. in health class in 12th grade but the focus seemed to be on anatomy.  We learned the parts of the body.  Also a lot of time was spent on menstruation but I don't know how interesting this was to most of the guys. We did discuss abortion at length.  Subjects such as wet dreams and masturbation were taboo.  Is this still the case?  It would have been nice if we could have learned about that and been told that these were normal parts of being a teenage guy and not some kind of disorders.  I was interested in pregnancy when I was a teenager but whenever I brought the subject up with my mom she would say that I was a guy and shouldn't be interested in stuff like that.  Until I was 17 I thought that babies came out of your belly button because I had no knowledge of the female anatomy.  I actually never really questioned how a woman actually got pregnant.  I guess that was a case of don't ask, don't tell.  My older brother went to public school and he said that everything was thoroughly covered in 10th grade.  I am amazed when I think back on how innocent I was.  I think it would be good if doctors or nurses came in to Catholic schools to talk to kids about puberty and sex.  What do others think?

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 2:58PM #2
Shaner
Hi Mark,

I attended an all girls Catholic High School and the subject of sex was taboo!  That doesn't mean that we girls didn't talk and giggle about it behind the good Sisters backs, though ;0)

That was a long time ago though, thank goodness the topic is more open now. 

My little niece, who's in Grade 1 in a Catholic school, is being taught sex education......suitable for their level.  For example, her class was taught that when they get older, some of them will meet someone very special, just like their Mommy and Daddy did and they will want to get married and have children, just as their parents have done. 
So far its been all age approriate information, I imagine they'll get more into it as the age and Grade get's a little higher.  I think its wonderful and the Parents have a Copy of the Sex Education Curriculum so they know exactly what's being taught and are able to answer any questions at home if they arise. 

The Teachers themselves had to take a Course about how to teach it, approved by the Catholic Education Board and sanctioned by the Bishop. 

Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 3:52PM #3
TemplarS
My kids have been in Catholic schools for many years (now in high school). There wasn't much "sex ed" in the lower grades, but in middle school (and now) there is.  From what I can tell it seems fairly balanced. 

They of course teach abstinence before marriage.  And they hit pretty heavy on abortion.

But they also teach the mechanics and biology of things such as ovulation, pregancy, fertilization and so on.  There hasn't been, so far as I can tell, much on the ethics of birth control.   I know various methods were covered from a strict factual standpoint, including the shortcomings of various methods (in comparison, of course, with abstinence).

All in all, I have no complaints about what was taught or how it was handled.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 5:06PM #4
jlw_midnight
Wow was my experience different. We had classes in elementary school that taught the basics of sex. There was one for the girls and one for the boys. In the girls class we covered the basics of female and male anatomy, the very basics of sex and menstruation.

In my freshman Biology class we covered male and female anatomy is detail. The brother teaching the class made a girl get up and draw the male reproductive system and explain it. Then a boy had to do the same for the female.

He said that is you were with someone and didn't feel comfortable using that vocabulary, then you probably weren't ready to sleep with them. I would bet that more of us thought more carefully about decisions in the future than kids who are given a bunch of restrictions without any facts.

We had a sex ed class later that covered everything including the types of birth control and a lot more sexual vacabulary.

When I went to College I had more knowledge about sex than my roommate who had gone to the NY City public schools and somehow still managed to think you couldn't get pregnant if you were standing up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2008 - 6:41PM #5
Mareczku
That sounds like you had a very good experience.  I think it is important they young people learn about these things.  In 11th and 12th grade I feel that abortion and menstruation were adequately covered.  I think birth control was covered a little.  The priest did discuss Humanae Vitae with us.  When it came to male issues we learned body parts and that was about it. 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 7:05PM #6
Emmanuelle110
I really wish I had attended a Catholic school.  I attended a public school and they covered sex, anatomy, and birth control but they obviously never preached about abstinence.  I guess I just lucked out that I went to church and CCD every week.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2008 - 4:01PM #7
Bob_Bennett
I agree with your idea of having full sex ed in Catholic high schools, maybe it should even be presented by 7th or 8th grade.

I attended a public high school in the 50s, and we had NO sex ed.   Instead, I learned whatever from a book my mother gave me in  7th grade.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 1:54PM #8
Riesl1
I went to a catholic junior/senior highschool (7-12) that had no "biological" sex ed, but did have several chastity speakers who touched on issues like abstinence, masturbation, std's, pregnancy and birth control. I was lucky enough to have teachers in religion classes who spoke on the morality and spiritual/emotional side of sex, which I think religious schools are uniquley positioned to do.

Sex and emotion/spirituality cannot be separated, and while I do wish that I had been taught that I was not the only boy who had to carry his books below the belt on occasion, I was taught that sex was beautiful and should be treated with respect because of that. I am grateful for that.

I think Catholic schools should have a comprehensive sex ed program, and should offer classes and counciling to parents who are affraid to breach the subject with their children. The Catholic school system can present sex in a healthy, positive way that public schools never could.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 9:20PM #9
Mareczku
I just watched EWTN the other night.  Father Corapi was talking about purity.  He said that men should fast.  He also said it was good to sleep on the floor and stay up all night and pray if they felt tempted.  I was thinking that I hope that no kids were watching this.  What kind of message is it?  Are Catholic guys supposed to have such hatred for their bodies as to do this stuff?  I know that the Church teaches that guys are to stay pure until marriage but I wonder how many guys have made it to their marriage bed with being soiled by wet dreams or masturbation.  I can imagine that it is a very small number. 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 9:23PM #10
Mareczku
Sorry.  I meant without.  It seems that the Church not only wants guys to be virgins when they get married but also to be physically pure.  They don't want us to waste any swimmers, guys.  (LOL!)

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook