Switch to Forum Live View controversy within UCC?
6 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2008 - 4:32PM #1
India42
What do you see as controversies within the UCC? What do UCC members or congregations argue about? I have seen a lot of publicity lately about the episcopal church, catholic church and the local Lutherans. Other than the Jeremiah Wright controversy, what are the struggles within the UCC?

If you want to know why I am asking... I am church shopping. I have found that one way to get to know a place quickly is to ask what people in that place argue about!
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 9:59PM #2
ChrisJB59

I'm not a UCC member but have attended one of their churches fairly often in the past year.  The main point of contention seems to be how much to emphasize social justice work vs. faith formation and traditional worship.  There is also more of a diversity of theological belief than in most denominations (for example, many differ on whether Jesus should be worshipped as "God" and whether God has a personality or is something more mysterious), but most people there seem to feel comfortable with such differences and don't make a big deal out of them.  This is definitely not a church for those who take a literal view of the Bible or seek certainty above all in spiritual matters.  But if you want to explore what spirituality or being Christian means in the 21st century, it's a good place to try.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 11:39AM #3
otis

Wherever humans are involved there is controversy, particularly where personal ideologies are the agenda.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook