Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
10 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 3:37PM #1
archiecat1
Hi all! I am new to this community and was confirmed as a Roman Catholic just last year!
With the new opportunity to hear the Traditional Mass not available in our area, and never having partcipated in one as a child (I didn't start going to church till 1969 or so and that was mainly Baptist/Fundamentalist services), I was wondering where I might find a recording of a Latin Mass as it might be conducted now.
God bless you all! Hope this Christmas Season is full of joy and mystery and meaningful moments-
Patrick
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 6:05PM #2
Prajna
http://youtube.com/watch?v=enWiFcsBqIE

I think this video should give you an idea about the Tridentine Mass.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 9:27AM #3
Shaner

archiecat1 wrote:

Hi all! I am new to this community and was confirmed as a Roman Catholic just last year!
With the new opportunity to hear the Traditional Mass not available in our area, and never having partcipated in one as a child (I didn't start going to church till 1969 or so and that was mainly Baptist/Fundamentalist services), I was wondering where I might find a recording of a Latin Mass as it might be conducted now.
God bless you all! Hope this Christmas Season is full of joy and mystery and meaningful moments-
Patrick

Welcome Patrick! 
The video of the Latin Mass that Prajna put up for you should be quite a help for you, give you a very good visual explanation as well as audio.  That's too bad they don't have one in your area, perhaps someday, ;-).

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Patrick, hope to see you posting more,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 9:54AM #4
Prajna
Patrick,

there is not a Tridentine Mass in my area too.  But I am part of a group that is working towards getting on started. 

You should contact your Priest and ask him if he knows where one is held.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 9:54AM #5
Prajna
Patrick,

there is not a Tridentine Mass in my area too.  But I am part of a group that is working towards getting on started. 

You should contact your Priest and ask him if he knows where one is held.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 8:27PM #6
newsjunkie
Merry Christmas, Patrick! Sounds like you've had an interesting journey to the RCC. Welcome!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 3:57AM #7
dreamhealth
Just yesterday, I heard a man call in to Catholic radio quite excited about the Pius V mass. While listening to him, it was the first time that I could imagine myself actually attending one. I am old enough to have attended loads of them until 1964. I could blog about the differences. I'm glad that the pope brought this out, although I didn't think it was a good idea when it happened. In no way will anything be "brought back."  I liked the interpretation that one priest made that the pope hopes that the two masses (which are really the same thing) will influence each other. Heaven knows that we could use more reverence at the new mass. The "reverence" of the old, however is produced by explicit directions (pain of venial sin, if not followed, for the priest) in a coded way. One wonders if real reverence is had by it being proscribed in actions which are most explicitely written for the priest while the laity are almost entirely passive. (This is where the new could influence the old--paartication was possible in the old; it's just that no one took the time to work on it--the altar server did all the peoples' parts as a practice while the laity looked on. One could be reverent in the new mass and distracted in the 1570 mass on account of being told what move to make all the time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 4:34AM #8
etsryan
i have attended both and support more Latin/Tridentine Masses in this area/any area, but i agree after the more lay participatory current liturgy i find myself feeling less involved when all the responses are done by the choir/servers etc. rather then the congregation.  i haven't been blessed with the TLM (Traditionial/Tridentine Latin Mass) fervor as some have, but I do not wish to hinder those who prefer/like/desire this type of liturgy.  I believe it does help some who would otherwise not wish to attend Mass.  Perhaps if i was male and/or had been an altar server I might understand better/more.  If most/all Catholic boys learn to be altar servers and get a more inside view of the liturgy, it might make a deeper impression.  Those who have never had the opportunity to do so feel a separation of sorts, I feel.  I think it is hard to explain unless you are a girl and feel this way.

Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue  ><>*  :D  (:   +
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 3:35PM #9
Apishapa
I prefer to attend a Mass in the language of the country in which I live--English.   I want to be able to follow along with all the priest is praying at the altar.  Also, I want to sing praise to God, and not listen to a choir singing in Latin.  I don't go to Mass to be entertained, but to gather with other Catholic Christians, worship God and receive Holy Communion.  There are  parishes where they celebrate Mass in Latin, and that's good for those that still want to go there. 

It is my understanding that our present pope is celebrating Latin Mass, with his back to congregation as in past times.  Also, that in some countries, Holy Communion is only given on the tongue and kneeling at the Altar railing, and women will not longer be allowed to participate in any service at the altar. 

I'm having difficulty with all of that.  Jesus at the Last Supper, according to Scripture, handed the bread and wine to his disciples, he didn't "feed it to them" as one would a child.  Women were not involved in ministry in those days, but that was due to the culture. 

If we are all baptized at "priests, prophets and kings as Jesus," and are  "temples" in which the Holy Spirit dwells, why should there be a distinction between men and women serving at the altar.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 11:14PM #10
rjak134
[QUOTE=Apishapa;230063]I prefer to attend a Mass in the language of the country in which I live--English.   I want to be able to follow along with all the priest is praying at the altar.  Also, I want to sing praise to God, and not listen to a choir singing in Latin.  I don't go to Mass to be entertained, but to gather with other Catholic Christians, worship God and receive Holy Communion.  There are  parishes where they celebrate Mass in Latin, and that's good for those that still want to go there. 

It is my understanding that our present pope is celebrating Latin Mass, with his back to congregation as in past times.  Also, that in some countries, Holy Communion is only given on the tongue and kneeling at the Altar railing, and women will not longer be allowed to participate in any service at the altar. 

I'm having difficulty with all of that.  Jesus at the Last Supper, according to Scripture, handed the bread and wine to his disciples, he didn't "feed it to them" as one would a child.  Women were not involved in ministry in those days, but that was due to the culture. 

If we are all baptized at "priests, prophets and kings as Jesus," and are  "temples" in which the Holy Spirit dwells, why should there be a distinction between men and women serving at the altar.   

Praise God![/QUOTE]

Reasonable people can certainly disagree on which form of the mass is preferable, and they both have advantages and disadvantages.  There are a couple things, though, that I find problematic in your post.

First, you refer to the Pope as "celebrating Latin Mass, with his back to congregation as in past times."  I don't know how often the Pope celebrates the Extraordinary Usage v. Novus Ordo, or what language he celebrates the mass in when he goes NO, but the words "back to the congregation" always grate my (proverbial) ears.  The reason is that saying that someone has their back to the congregation implies that he is ignoring them and doing a private thing, and that understanding totally misses the point.  It were better to say that the priest is "facing the altar", or (symbolically always, and literally when the tabernacle is in the appropriate place, behind the altar) "facing God."  The priest celebrating "ad orientem" (lit. to the East, meaning facing the altar) is standing in unity with the congregation, deliberately not setting himself apart, but rather facing & praying to God along with the rest of us.  This symbolism was universal throughout the Catholic Church until the last 50 years, and even now, Eastern Rite churches still by & large celebrate ad orientem, as do some churches celebrating the Novus Ordo (I saw one in Germany on a trip I made there last year, as one example).

Second, as for receiving on the tongue v. in the hand, I personally find it much more reverent to receive Christ that way, rather than to take Communion.  There are objective reasons as well, however.  It is much easier for irreverence towards the Eucharist, and even some very scandalous things to be done, if the Eucharist is given in the hand.  A good example would be the Rainbow Sash movement.  These people are dissidents who were their sashes to mass each year on (I believe) Pentecost.  Most priests know not to give people the Eucharist if they're wearing such a sash.  What happens often in those cases, though, is that people who have received in the hand will take a host to someone who is prohibited by the Church from receiving and divide the host with them.  This shows disrespect for the Eucharist, is a serious sin, and causes scandal.  I do not mean by any means to cast aspersions on those who piously receive in the hand, which most definitely the majority.  My point is only to indicate that, beyond it being a matter of taste & personal preference, there are sound objective arguments for reception on the tongue as the norm.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook