Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
3 years ago  ::  May 31, 2011 - 9:13PM #21
Socaluu

The search for a church and a spiritual home is not easy and will require a lot of work. But if you take the process one step at time, and you take time for prayer and discernment you will find the church that fits you best. Based on my experience here are some tips that will aid you in your journey:

1. Start with the Congregational Church of Boca Raton and add other churches that are Universalist or Universalist friendly (theologically diverse). Make sure you get to know the pastors, the parishoners along with the worship traditions and ministries. The more acquainted with a church you become the more information you will gain and chances are you will get closer to finding "the church" for you.

2. Consider questions like "What is my worship style?", "Do I want a small church, midsize or larger church?", "What ministries are near to my heart?" "Does the church agree to disagree in a spirit of Christ like love when there is disagreement?"

3. When seeking out churches, worship more than one time at each church to get a feeling of how the church runs and has its being.

4. Resist the temptation to join a church after your first visit.

5. Seek out God's wisdom through prayer and discernment and let the light of God within you lead you to the church you want to make your spiritual family.

6. Ask plenty of questions of long time members, short time members, and those who have experience in between. Also try to get a conversation with the pastor (s).

7. Understand that no one church is perfect. While no church is perfect, Will You be willing to contribute time, resources and energies to making your church a truly inclusive, loving and accepting house of prayer for all peoples in the spirit of Jesus?

I've been part of this wonderful denomination for 3 years now and I love every minute of it. I'm active in the Chancel Choir as a tenor, I serve on membership committee, I attend U2 Charist, I go to Bible study before worship and I' a proud member of Another Voice (my church's LGBT affirmationg group). My spiritual family is Claremont United Church of Christ (UCC) in Claremont, CA  www.claremontucc.org

May 31, 2011 -- 3:03PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

May 31, 2011 -- 2:57PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Yes I"m on the Universalist side as well how would I find or what would I look for in a like minded Church?

This is only one that's close to me.

www.churchofboca.org

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook