malanga
Anyone catch this news article:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16 … etail.html

Opinions?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 5:05PM #2
cove52
Actually just today I was reading in my husband's Fordham University Alumni magazine, in the section set aside for Alumni recognitions, a one Rev. Mary Elizabeth Conroy who after 8 years of service to Trinity Church in Boston has been appointed interim Rector at the Church of the Ascension in Pueblo, CO.  It made me think of Wavering and her comments regarding loosing some of our best women to other denoms.  I think the hierarchy needs to get off their sexist high horse and accept the obvious.  We are educating them for crying-out-loud!!!
"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 6:55PM #3
Apishapa
Read the article and saw the video.  Didn't understand who ordained them and what Catholic Church will accept them.  They did say they would be excommunicated. 

If we have such a shortage of priests, why don't they call back all the priests that have left the priesthood to get married.  The Catholic Church will take priests from other denominations that are married, why not our priests.   Also, some of our priests married and joined other denominations as priests. 

Read an article some time back written by a priest that had left to get married, and he said there were hundreds of others like him, waiting to be called back as priests in the Catholic Church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 10:24PM #4
Mareczku
So if these women are ordained in a church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church and United Church of Christ. would they not be ministers in those churches then?  To be a Catholic priest you have to attend a seminary.  There is a certain course of studies.  I had 12 years of Catholic school and am a devout Catholic.  I am sure that I could send away and get a license to be a minister.  But since I am Catholic, would I be a Catholic priest when I got that license?  I suppose I would be as much a priest as these women.  The same with nuns.  We have the "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence."  They are men pretending to be nuns.  So are they nuns just because they say so?  To be a Catholic priest or nun there is a certain procedure.  You just can't say you are a priest or nun or have a pretend ordination (at least in Catholic terms) and pose as one. 
Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2008 - 7:31AM #5
Tmarie64
They're not gonna be priests.  They're gonna be excommunicated.  Big, fat, hairy deal... They're going to say, "I'm a priest"... And?  That and 2 bucks will get them a sandwich at McDonald's.
They want to just jump in... and expect everyone to accept them...
As Mareczku said.... Just because someone tells them "you're ordained", doesn't make it so.
The CHURCH must acknowledge it.
This is just much ado about nothing.  Women being ordained as protestant ministers is nothing new, it's been going on for years.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 12:44AM #6
Smurfette2002
[QUOTE=Mareczku;634573]So if these women are ordained in a church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church and United Church of Christ. would they not be ministers in those churches then?  To be a Catholic priest you have to attend a seminary.  There is a certain course of studies.  I had 12 years of Catholic school and am a devout Catholic.  I am sure that I could send away and get a license to be a minister.  But since I am Catholic, would I be a Catholic priest when I got that license?  I suppose I would be as much a priest as these women.  The same with nuns.  We have the "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence."  They are men pretending to be nuns.  So are they nuns just because they say so?  To be a Catholic priest or nun there is a certain procedure.  You just can't say you are a priest or nun or have a pretend ordination (at least in Catholic terms) and pose as one. 
Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

Very true Mark. They are not being ordained in a Catholic Church so how can they be ordained Catholic priests? I saw from their prior ordinations, they have also ordained on the Danube on a boat. Don't ordinations have to be in a Church or are they using the loose defination that God is present anywhere?

I was looking into this. They validate these ordinations by saying the orginal female priests were ordained by a male bishop in good standing with the RC Church and then later a couple priestesses (for a lack of a better word) where ordained by another set of bishops (whose names are withheld so they do not get excommunicated) so they can further ordain women priests with women bishops. Now, I am not against women being priests but I am against going against the current Cathecism of the Church. They know they are going against the Church so I see they are not valid. I am sure they are well meaning people but making up your own rules, well makes you a Protestant, not a member of the RC Church. Also, from what I saw, there is not a formal seminary for the priests (though some do have theological degrees) and they have even ordained a male priest who was divorced and remarried! Come on! Maybe women priests can be an eventuality but it's not so in the current scheme of things.

Check out their website http://www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org/ for more info.

Also, for those who want to see an article about women cannot be ordained priests can look here: http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9710fea2.asp
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 12:50AM #7
Smurfette2002
I also saw from the website 2 of the originally priests ordained in 2002 where ordained bishops in 2003. Now I call that some fast tracking!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 6:38AM #8
Tmarie64
Like you, Smurfette, I'm not against women priests.  Honestly, I'd rather have women priests than married men.
I think it's just plain stupid to say they're being ordained, when there is no WAY they are.  They meet none of the qualifications, and it's simply NOT possible in the Church today.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 12:44AM #9
Smurfette2002
[QUOTE=Mareczku;634573]So if these women are ordained in a church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church and United Church of Christ. would they not be ministers in those churches then?  To be a Catholic priest you have to attend a seminary.  There is a certain course of studies.  I had 12 years of Catholic school and am a devout Catholic.  I am sure that I could send away and get a license to be a minister.  But since I am Catholic, would I be a Catholic priest when I got that license?  I suppose I would be as much a priest as these women.  The same with nuns.  We have the "Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence."  They are men pretending to be nuns.  So are they nuns just because they say so?  To be a Catholic priest or nun there is a certain procedure.  You just can't say you are a priest or nun or have a pretend ordination (at least in Catholic terms) and pose as one. 
Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

Very true Mark. They are not being ordained in a Catholic Church so how can they be ordained Catholic priests? I saw from their prior ordinations, they have also ordained on the Danube on a boat. Don't ordinations have to be in a Church or are they using the loose defination that God is present anywhere?

I was looking into this. They validate these ordinations by saying the orginal female priests were ordained by a male bishop in good standing with the RC Church and then later a couple priestesses (for a lack of a better word) where ordained by another set of bishops (whose names are withheld so they do not get excommunicated) so they can further ordain women priests with women bishops. Now, I am not against women being priests but I am against going against the current Cathecism of the Church. They know they are going against the Church so I see they are not valid. I am sure they are well meaning people but making up your own rules, well makes you a Protestant, not a member of the RC Church. Also, from what I saw, there is not a formal seminary for the priests (though some do have theological degrees) and they have even ordained a male priest who was divorced and remarried! Come on! Maybe women priests can be an eventuality but it's not so in the current scheme of things.

Check out their website http://www.romancatholicwomenpriests.org/ for more info.

Also, for those who want to see an article about women cannot be ordained priests can look here: http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9710fea2.asp
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 12:50AM #10
Smurfette2002
I also saw from the website 2 of the originally priests ordained in 2002 where ordained bishops in 2003. Now I call that some fast tracking!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook