Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 3 Catholic Women to be Ordained Priests
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 6:38AM #11
Tmarie64
Like you, Smurfette, I'm not against women priests.  Honestly, I'd rather have women priests than married men.
I think it's just plain stupid to say they're being ordained, when there is no WAY they are.  They meet none of the qualifications, and it's simply NOT possible in the Church today.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 5:57PM #12
cove52

Tmarie64 wrote:

Like you, Smurfette, I'm not against women priests. Honestly, I'd rather have women priests than married men.
I think it's just plain stupid to say they're being ordained, when there is no WAY they are. They meet none of the qualifications, and it's simply NOT possible in the Church today.

I am becoming more and more pro female and married clergy. 

As for the article and the web-site, I find it sad.  They are making a bold statement whether we as Catholics take them seriously or not.  Actually, they probably posess all of the "qualifications" except one.  Another travesty is the move by the hierarchy to excommunicate Catholics who support these women.  Jane presented a very good article written by Sr. Joan Chitister on another thread http://community.beliefnet.com/forums/s … hp?t=23044.  She presents a very good argument against excommunication and for female clergy.  Really, the hierarchy should be ashamed, imo.

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 6:03PM #13
Tmarie64
They have never attended seminary... They probably do not possess the qualifications.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 9:35PM #14
cove52

Tmarie64 wrote:

They have never attended seminary... They probably do not possess the qualifications.

They have received instruction.  Obviously not in a Catholic seminary.  They are qualifified and have the ability.  They just  "officially" can't be ordained.  I knew an Episcopal (married) priest who converted and became a Catholic priest.  He did not attend a Catholic seminary or school for his instruction but he was considered "qualified" to become a Catholic priest.

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 11:49PM #15
Smurfette2002
[QUOTE=cove52;640037]They have received instruction.  Obviously not in a Catholic seminary.  They are qualifified and have the ability.  They just  "officially" can't be ordained.  I knew an Episcopal (married) priest who converted and became a Catholic priest.  He did not attend a Catholic seminary or school for his instruction but he was considered "qualified" to become a Catholic priest.[/QUOTE]

,,,but when he converted, I'm sure he had to go through RCIA and learn the Catechism right? Plus he may have gone through seminary in his former faith so that is more of a "qualifier" than what some of womenpriests seem to have on their bios. Maybe the bios are too short to see their real qualifications but I just don't really buy that some are really doing it for a love of God. Some may just be ordained to prove a point. I saw a few were labeled feminists and at least one had in her bio that she was a lesbian. What's the point to include those remarks? I have been labeled a feminist at times too but I am not going out to be ordained a priest just to prove a women can. I think a lot of women already perform one of the most intergral parts of the RCC. Many of the Churches I have attended had women as the Choir leaders, Bible study leaders, and especially the children and youth education programs (among other leaderwhip roles in the Church, etc.). I think educating the next generations of Catholics and continuing their growth in God in Bible studies is just as important as the priest's role in the Church.

...sorry for my soapboxing. Had to get that all out. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 9:14AM #16
Tmarie64
The bottom line is... Women cannot be priests in the Catholic Church.
They can hold their breath 'til they turn blue, they CANNOT be priests.
Education does not matter, location does not matter.
The Church's doctrine does not allow it.  They can stomp their little feet and throw their little tantrums, they're STILL not priests.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 9:56AM #17
malanga
I respect these women's desire to be priests.  It is a noble calling and they must truly love the Lord  to feel so drawn to being a priest.  Sadly this simply will not happen in our lifetimes.  I believe it may happen someday, but not for quite some time, centuries perhaps.  Personally, I never bought the "Jesus never picked any women as apostles" argument.  In that day and age women did not have the rights and freedom of today, and I am sure Jesus was aware that picking a female apostles would have made things extremely difficult and distract from his teachings.  I never read in the scriptures of him treating women as being any less important or spiritual than men.  Still, we are a single Church, and we cannot just force the Church to change its ways just because we want it to.  There are attitudes and beliefs the Church has that I simply do not agree with or support, however I will not dictate to the Church how it must run itself.  The last I checked, there are over 33,000 protestant denominations worldwide, with 200 to 300 new one forming every year.  I cannot believe this is what the Lord wants of us; how can we possibly be united as Christians and have so many different views?  Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the sake of unity, and although I sympathize with these women, their approach does not help their cause.  If anything, it diminishes it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 9:57AM #18
cove52

Smurfette2002 wrote:

,,,but when he converted, I'm sure he had to go through RCIA and learn the Catechism right? Plus he may have gone through seminary in his former faith so that is more of a "qualifier" than what some of womenpriests seem to have on their bios. Maybe the bios are too short to see their real qualifications but I just don't really buy that some are really doing it for a love of God. Some may just be ordained to prove a point. I saw a few were labeled feminists and at least one had in her bio that she was a lesbian. What's the point to include those remarks? I have been labeled a feminist at times too but I am not going out to be ordained a priest just to prove a women can. I think a lot of women already perform one of the most intergral parts of the RCC. Many of the Churches I have attended had women as the Choir leaders, Bible study leaders, and especially the children and youth education programs (among other leaderwhip roles in the Church, etc.). I think educating the next generations of Catholics and continuing their growth in God in Bible studies is just as important as the priest's role in the Church.

...sorry for my soapboxing. Had to get that all out. :)

There are women priests who go through "seminary".  In my 1st post on this thread I mentioned a woman Episcopal priest who went to a Catholic university for her religious studies.  My point in bringing up the Episcopal convert priest was that he did not possess the same qualifications as a cradle Catholic like these women, imo.  He basically was given the role as Catholic priest with not much instruction.  You should have been there for his 1st Mass at my former parish.  It was embarrassing to say the least.  I felt like I wanted to get up there and perform the rituals for him.:(  Don't get me wrong.  He was a very sweet man and we were glad to welcome him.  He did get through the Mass but not without the help of some of the parishoners.  Actually, I blame our other priest.  He really should have been there for the guys 1st Mass.

Since we aren't going to agree on the word  "qualifications", I'll just say they probably possess the same "qualities" as any Catholic male who is interested in becoming a good priest except one. I personally don't doubt their "qualifications" for the job.

I agree with what you said.  I have stated on other threads that I believe women are the backbone of this religious institution.  I believe the work they do and roles they play in the Church are actually more important than the duties of a priest.  But, there is this strange backlash from the good-old-boys-club (hierarchy) that is something to be aware of and not take lightly (check out the link I posted to Jane's thread and the article she presents.  Sr. Joan is a theologian in her own right and a religious that I hightly respect) .  I am developing a better understanding that this desire to be a priest is not necessarily about feminism but rather a true "calling" for some women.  Now, are there women out there who have to prove a point and will go to any length to prove it???  These women "priests" may very well be of that ilk.  But, should I let them over shadow those women who may truly be "called" to the priesthood? I think there are many Catholic women out there who possess the "qualities" to be good priests but who are purposely "missing the boat" because they don't want to "rock the boat".    I think it is time we throw these women a net.

These boards are one big "soap box".;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 10:02AM #19
Tmarie64
The bottom line... like it or not... is that women cannot be ordained in the (current) Catholic Church.
I can call myself a Neurologist, it doesn't make it so.
You can call yourself "King Balthazar, leader of Romania"... it doesn't make it true.
I've already said I support the ordination of women... but until the Church changes its stance all these women look like is snitty little 4 year olds holding their breath in a fit of anger.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 11:53AM #20
malanga
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;640813]The bottom line... like it or not... is that women cannot be ordained in the (current) Catholic Church.
I can call myself a Neurologist, it doesn't make it so.
You can call yourself "King Balthazar, leader of Romania"... it doesn't make it true.
I've already said I support the ordination of women... but until the Church changes its stance all these women look like is snitty little 4 year olds holding their breath in a fit of anger.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe anyone in this discussion is claiming these women are priests, or should be accepted as priests in the Catholic Church.  No need to further elaborate what we have all understood from the beginning of this discussion.  Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook