Switch to Forum Live View Types of CS Practitioners?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2007 - 4:26PM #1
Seeking_Truth_and_God
It seems there are several levels of Practitioners but I was wondering if there is a difference in training or is it just that a CS does not teach like a CSB.
Also I have heard there are CS nurses and was wondering if they are considered to be practitioners. Where do they fit in to the system?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 12:59AM #2
seaotter2
When a Christian Scientist lists the initials "CSB" after their name, this signifies that they are authorized by the church to teach a two-week course on Christian Science.  Teachers are allowed to teach one course a year, plus hold an annual one-day inspirational meeting for all their past students.  The rules governing teachers of Christian Science are published in the Church Manual, articles 26 through 30.

All members of the church are expected to be practitioners of Christian Science healing in that they are expected to practice CS in their daily living.  CS is a way of life, not something you think about Sunday and then forget about for the rest of the week.  Those students who make themselves available to the public as practitioners can use the initials "CS" after their name in their advertising if they have completed the above mentioned two-week course of study.

The Church Manual describes a Christian Science nurse as follows:
"A member of The Mother Church who represents himself or herself as a Christian Science nurse shall be one who has a demonstrable knowledge of Christian Science practice, who thoroughly understands the practical wisdom necessary in a sick room, and who can take proper care of the sick.

The cards of such persons may be inserted in The Christian Science Journal under rules established by the publishers."

I am not familiar with the rules for advertising as a CS nurse in the CS Journal, but I suspect that one is required to have completed a certain amount of formal training and supervised work.  I know that several CS nursing facilities around the country offer training courses.  A nurse does not advertise as a practitioner and does not perform the role of a practitioner, but they are expected to help provide an atmosphere and services that supports the patient's effort to experience healing (see paragraph 2 above).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook