Switch to Forum Live View National night out against crime
6 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 8:04PM #1
MMCSFOX
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 is the National Night Out Against Crime
This is a nation wide one-night rally where citizens and law enforcement join forces to strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships.

Celebrate with the neighbors on your block. Plan a block party, bar-be-que, cookout or anything you want to do. Help to make your neighborhood more secure by getting to know your neighbors.

We have now been doing this for five years in our neighborhood and we have built this into a three-block sidewalk barb-be-que where the food is something to die for.

This is not something to do on your own so you need to find a co-captain to assist. I walk the three blocks with handouts inviting all to come and my neighbor prints the handouts. Some police departments will also do the printing for you.

What we do is let everyone know that we will provide the drinks and hot dogs. Everyone else bring a dish to share. Last year we had to set up four grills to handle the on the spot cooking alone. Most of the neighbors bring their own ethnic dish and this is where the food gets so good.

During this time we have visitors from the police and fire department with a hook and ladder where they let the kids climb aboard and toot the siren etc. We always have visitors from the City council where we get to discuss problems face to face.

We also have those who wish sign in with their address, phone number and e-mail so we can inform them of neighborhood events.

Jesse F.
“I will be as good as I can, until temptation comes.”
- Buster Brown
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2008 - 10:11PM #2
MMCSFOX
The eating frenzy is coming up August 5.

What is going on around your community or block?

Do you know your neighbors? This is a great way to meet and gain new friends.

You local Police Department community relation’s officer is probably you’re best contact to see what is doing in your City.

Jesse F.
Men stumble over pebbles, never over mountains.
-  Emilie Cady
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 9:52AM #3
UwishUwereMe
I have a hard time supporting "police departments" many departments are corrupt, and especially the Minneapolis and St. Paul [propper] departments.  I like and know SOME individual officers, but as a whole, I don't just willingly throw my support at any such agency.  Keeping in mind that I lived in North Dakota during the 1980s.

We have had all the "block parties" this city can handle.  Minneapolis (the metro) is good about hosting block parties.  Most of the time there is no excuse for one, we have to take advantage of all 7 "good weather months" because 5 are blah and 3 of those 5 are cold and nasty. 

Most parties we have are themed, and one block party will span through an entire neighborhood.  The Mexican portion of Lake Street from 35w all the way down to Hiawatha, has several live bands, tex-mex, cumbia, et cetra.  The somalian and arab parts of town have fabulous music.  The Irish fests in St. Paul and east of the River are great and one of the largest Irish gatherings and Irish festivals in the WORLD!
St. Paul also has a wonderful Hungarian fest.  Old Nord East Minneapolis has fun scandinavian and polish fests as well.  The GLBT Pride in Minneapolis is aparently the 3 largest two day festival in the nation!  These are simple block parties that have grown and grown. 

I am sure there will be festivities set aside for tuesday night, but nights like that here give minneapolis and the surrounding areas an excuse to come alive in the summer!

Summer festivities are WONDERFUL!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 12:52AM #4
MMCSFOX
We had a great neighborhood sidewalk B B Q tonight for National Night Out Against Crime. We had around ninety people attending. Many brought pot luck meals that took many off diets. We had a good turnout from our City with our vice Mayer, police chief, fire chief, a fire hook and ladder and one of the EMT trucks and police commissioners.

We had a couple of neighbors that brought their guitars and gave us some music for over an hour.

We were able to meet a number of new people that had moved near us in the last year.

All in all it was a great evening but our seventh year will be even better.

Jesse F.
Co-operation: Doing what I tell you to do, and doing it quick.
  - The Roycroft dictionary
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 2:38PM #5
bytebear
I wish I had known about this.  I moved into a town home about 4 months ago.  I have lived in the same town for about 5 years, so I know the area, and it is actually on top ten lists of safest cities.  Well things are changing.  Since the housing bust, people have been renting out their homes and now people are moving in three or four families into small three bedroom units.  I see beds in the living room, and 6 cars parked on the street (where you have room in your garage and driveway for 4 cars.  They are using the garages for bedrooms.

Oh, and we have had one homicide where a man killed his wife and took his kid to Mexico (where he was killed in a car accident), but the son was left at an LDS church before that.  Perhaps you heard about that one. 

In the few months I have lived here, my car has been egged twice, and my house burglarized and I lost two laptop computers.  I am seeing strange cars drive in and people exchanging something and then driving off.

The crazy thing is , this isn't urban Los Angeles.  This is semi-rural south Orange County.  Things are changing fast, and the state legislature is so concerned about being politically correct, that they can;t even deport illegal aliens who commit crimes. About half of my neighbors are Hispanic, and I want to be a good neighbor, but when I ask for their support, they think I am out to get them.  They are so in fear of being deported themselves  that they won't help get rid of the criminals, and it makes things worse. 

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.  And the police have been very supportive here. It's the law makers that are the problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook